Some advice..

Hi everyone, was recommended this forum from a friend off another forum who said you may have advice to share.
Long story short I used to struggle massively with razor bumps and redness (most specifically on one side). Changed to a DE blade and my routine etc and it really helped and eased off. Got to a point of not clearing though and can’t shake it. The friend off the other forum sent me very kindly - a specific razor and other essentials to which I’m very grateful.

After trying different methods I still can’t budge the razor bumps etc on the right side of my neck, when I let the hair grow in that area that is doesn’t have a single direction and it’s quite middle rather than choosing a side. When I lather up it’s the only part that stick out particularly and it’s quite frustrating to have really progressed except this part.

also I notice then when I shower or get my neck wet hours after shaving it gets quite red again so not sure if that’s a common occurrence.
Will attach images but my neck looks a little redder generally as work shirts/wearing a mask is back etc

many thanks everyone (1st image is the other side where I have no problem shaving in comparison to the other)

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I’m contemplating letting it grow completely but I’m not sure that’ll do anything other than ignore the problem?
 

Attachments

Cheesepiece

Stickler
My advice would be to ignore it for a short period.
Let whatever skin affliction you have in that area die down and restore itself.
Have a good look at the beard map after a day or two, then when your skin looks to be completely healthy there - then and only then go with the grain only.
You've found a trouble spot. Some people don't have any, some have multiple. You may find that this area can only be shaved with the grain. Or you might find it can indeed take an across the grain pass. And in time you might find it can even take an ATG pass, when your technique is solid.
I have a trouble spot beside my Adams apple. I don't bother with any more than across the grain in this area.
The fewer passes should equal less irritation. Let the skin heal and do some experimentation.

Lather and after shave care are also factors so make sure each is suited to what's required.
 

bartje-p

Forum GOD!
good tips above. Also, clean and hydrate / feed you skin before going to bed. Only shave with the grain if skin is healed. And use blades that are most comfortable to you, and don't use them too often! And of course no pressure during the shave on the razor. Good luck
 

Estariol

Forum GOD!
My advice would be to ignore it for a short period.
Let whatever skin affliction you have in that area die down and restore itself.
Have a good look at the beard map after a day or two, then when your skin looks to be completely healthy there - then and only then go with the grain only.
You've found a trouble spot. Some people don't have any, some have multiple. You may find that this area can only be shaved with the grain. Or you might find it can indeed take an across the grain pass. And in time you might find it can even take an ATG pass, when your technique is solid.
I have a trouble spot beside my Adams apple. I don't bother with any more than across the grain in this area.
The fewer passes should equal less irritation. Let the skin heal and do some experimentation.

Lather and after shave care are also factors so make sure each is suited to what's required.
Good advice about letting the skin rest and heal, howeverm about the WTG only, check the first photo, and he also said in his post that there is no general growth direction in that area.
 
appreciate the feedback and advice, will take it on board and hopefully over the festive period I have time to almost micromanage it
 
good tips above. Also, clean and hydrate / feed you skin before going to bed. Only shave with the grain if skin is healed. And use blades that are most comfortable to you, and don't use them too often! And of course no pressure during the shave on the razor. Good luck
Appreciate this also. Do you have any recommendations on what to clean hydrate with purely on the neck for sensitivity issues? I use a Nivea face wash not sure what to use on my neck as such. Thanks.
 

Geordieboy

Über Member
If you want to banish the bumps forever, think about a shavette or a straight razor. I can't tell you why these open blades work so well, but they do. I used to get bumps on the side of my neck from every single DE I used. Since I switched over to a shavette, no bumps whatsoever.
 

Cheesepiece

Stickler
Good advice about letting the skin rest and heal, howeverm about the WTG only, check the first photo, and he also said in his post that there is no general growth direction in that area.
In problem spots, mine is much the same in that the hair lies very flat and grows in a number of different directions. As I said before, I'd encourage anyone having issues to let the beard grow out a bit and then have a close inspection after a few days, you may find there exists a path in the map of the beard that looks something like a grain which can be followed somewhat using one stroke or a number of shorter strokes. Either way don't overwork a problem spot. The fewer passes the better.
 

Sami

Forum GOD!
I would recommend to shave right after you have showered or use a warm wet towel on the face after applying pre-shave cream like proraso white this should help soften de hairs even more and keep the skin supple
And perhaps as many mentioned shave with the grain only for a while till its all healed and calmed down possibly use witch hazel as well wich helps calm down the skin

Also most important no pressure at all when shaving hardly have the razor touch your skin and the moment you experience pain or discomfort stop immediately and let the skin heal
 
Last edited:

bartje-p

Forum GOD!
Appreciate this also. Do you have any recommendations on what to clean hydrate with purely on the neck for sensitivity issues? I use a Nivea face wash not sure what to use on my neck as such. Thanks.
I have used Nivea face wash for men, currently using a simple face wash. Rinse off with a wash cloth (to remove some extra old skin). I have used Nivea creme for men a lot afterwards. Currently have a more expensive nivea variant, or a Rituals one, depending on what I feel like.
 

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
What razor or razors are you using? Technique could be part of it, but it may be simpler to just try a different razor. You'll find some people are advocates for rigid blade clamping. Others go the other direction. Personally, I'm fine either way. My biggest concern is generally blade feel, as a blade that sticks out can easily scrape your skin if you're not careful and lead to irritation and bumps.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
If you want to banish the bumps forever, think about a shavette or a straight razor. I can't tell you why these open blades work so well, but they do. I used to get bumps on the side of my neck from every single DE I used. Since I switched over to a shavette, no bumps whatsoever.
I can’t think of any reason why this should be - other than the very obvious one of pressure. An open blade obviously has to be handled more carefully than one with a guard which is most apparent with the lightness of touch required. However, I used open razors for quite some time before getting an uprising of bumps - taking a rest from shaving too regularly was the cure for me.
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I can’t think of any reason why this should be - other than the very obvious one of pressure. An open blade obviously has to be handled more carefully than one with a guard which is most apparent with the lightness of touch required. However, I used open razors for quite some time before getting an uprising of bumps - taking a rest from shaving too regularly was the cure for me.
Possibly the stiffer blade, less flexing causing less irritation maybe?
 
Top