So the car hunting begins...

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Can I throw Audi into the mix. I have had a few from a potential licence loser RS6 ABT to a number of allroads but also the standard A4 and A6 have done me proud.
Out of price range as ours we have had from new and it's a year old now but a +1 for Audi.

We have an A3 Sportback, only a 1.2 but for us it's enough. Great car, goes well, economical, comfy and a great finish. So good we will be ordering another in the new year.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Heart says Jaguar ... or Daimler, if you want the badge.

Head says ...

Who cares? I've always followed my heart and because of that I've always loved as a result of my decisions.

Where I've made the logical decision, it's always been forgettable and in that I think you'll find the BMW. Bland, vanilla, beige.

BMW are masters of the inoffensive. Every component is designed to be bland. Specifically, plush leather is sanitised so it does not smell of leather. Step into a BMW and there is nothing. No character, no quirk, no interest. It does everything well and in that, it's just so dull. Turn on the engine. Yeah, it doesn't roar, it doesn't purr. Accelerate. It's linear. It does it well. It does it right, but it's linear. No turbo lag and boost, no land mine acceleration, just straight, linear acceleration. No emotion.

BMW tried to manage Jaguar and just did not get it right. As a result, there's a restrained cat; a circus animal. But at least it still roars, at least it still purrs. At least it's not a robot perfected into the likeness of something with a soul.

Best of luck with your choice.

Oh, think beyond ... get a Morgan.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Heart says Jaguar ... or Daimler, if you want the badge.

Head says ...

Who cares? I've always followed my heart and because of that I've always loved as a result of my decisions.

Where I've made the logical decision, it's always been forgettable and in that I think you'll find the BMW. Bland, vanilla, beige.

BMW are masters of the inoffensive. Every component is designed to be bland. Specifically, plush leather is sanitised so it does not smell of leather. Step into a BMW and there is nothing. No character, no quirk, no interest. It does everything well and in that, it's just so dull. Turn on the engine. Yeah, it doesn't roar, it doesn't purr. Accelerate. It's linear. It does it well. It does it right, but it's linear. No turbo lag and boost, no land mine acceleration, just straight, linear acceleration. No emotion.

BMW tried to manage Jaguar and just did not get it right. As a result, there's a restrained cat; a circus animal. But at least it still roars, at least it still purrs. At least it's not a robot perfected into the likeness of something with a soul.

Best of luck with your choice.

Oh, think beyond ... get a Morgan.
What a GREAT description of BMW. Love it :D

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Well, initial searching has revealed that Jags of the price bracket I am looking at tend to be starting to rot, which is an utter shame. Research reveals post-2003 models have an aluminium body, so I need to ensure I check those out.

The 5-series options all seem to be fairing very well on the MOT history side of things, so are the stronger contender.

I have been looking at Audi and VW (in particular the A8 and Phaeton models) as a backup, and boy I do love a Phaeton. They are a dark horse of a car.

p.b

Forum GOD!
I have been looking at ... VW (... and Phaeton models) as a backup, and boy I do love a Phaeton. They are a dark horse of a car.
If you can find an example of Piech's vanity project then they are a very, very nice car.

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
If you can find an example of Piech's vanity project then they are a very, very nice car.
There's a few on Autotrader right now, but none of the W12 examples :( Mostly 3.0TDI, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd like petrol :) A couple of 3.2 V6 petrol models available too.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Hens teeth
Rocking horse shit
VW Phaeton W12
common thread with those three...

Yeah, I'm with you on petrol being the superior fuel IF you can afford the running costs.

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Hens teeth
Rocking horse shit
VW Phaeton W12
common thread with those three...

Yeah, I'm with you on petrol being the superior fuel IF you can afford the running costs.
Exactly. In the last year, I've seen two crop up for sale. Fuel costs aren't a problem as my annual mileage is low (hence my reluctance for diesel). Eyes are peeled mind you for said unobtainium model, but the cost to purchase is higher than my current budget :D

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
OK, so tomorrow I go and see a couple of cars. None of which were on my initial list :D

330ci cabriolet
325ci cabriolet
CLK230 cabriolet

Yeah I know...I used to be indecisive, now I'm just no sure.

Dipesh

Forum GOD!
Staff member
What year would the Merc be?

If it was me, I'd have the 330i but any of these 6 cylinder engines are brilliant.

If the BMW's are e46's watch out for rusty arches. Check them carefully, the back ones rust at either end, bumper and the bottom. Front wings are always rusty. If they aren't rusty, check for signs of them being fillered up!

Nick_S

Forum GOD!

If it was me, I'd have the 330i but any of these 6 cylinder engines are brilliant.

If the BMW's are e46's watch out for rusty arches. Check them carefully, the back ones rust at either end, bumper and the bottom. Front wings are always rusty. If they aren't rusty, check for signs of them being fillered up!
The 330ci is a very low mileage car, and from initial photos, there' not a drop of rust on it. I'll be all over it like a fatty on a fry up tomorrow, I'll check every nook and cranny :)

Nick_S

Forum GOD!

Totally missed the Merc year question, it's a 2003.

Gordy

Legendary Member
The scuttle shake on the Merc of that age isn't good, something to look out for on earlier BMW's as well.they are much stiffer now but if there's a lot of road furniture about, or potholes, it'll do your head in.