Simpson Brushes Appreciation Thread

chazt

shave
The knot on that Duke looks lovely.
You’ve got a keen eye! Thank you. The original Best knot felt like a wire brush, but the D3 handle is fairly righteous! I used the brush every other shave for about a month, but it never improved. So I contacted the fabled gentleman brushmaker, Mr. Rudy Vey of New Jersey, USA. We exchanged one or two emails, and quite literally the brush made a full round trip in Under A Week. This was in 2015 or so. Despite the relatively short distance of perhaps 40 or so miles, USPS absolutely could not do that today. Truth be told, it was a marvel even then! The knot is by Shavemac and is a really delightful experience. If I had to keep only three brushes :roflmao: this would be one of them.
 

chazt

shave
Well, this is unlike me in general, as I’m not much of a fan of synthetic knots. I think out of some 40 odd current brushes, I have perhaps a half dozen synthetics. And frankly I never really use them. The Chubby is the best travelled shave brush in my collection. It’s accompanied me pretty much everywhere we’ve/I’ve been since it was a pup. So maybe 2014-15? As you can see it’s got the original Simpsons’ designation, “synthetic badger.” Tbh I use it at home only two or three times a year. The Trafalgar 3 was a Father’s Day gift from one of my daughters. Imo the handle is vastly superior to the Chubby handle. The Chubby knot feels silkier than the Trafalgar knot, but the Trafalgar knot has a more “natural” feel for face lathering. They both tend to feel sproingy. Yes, sproingy. Nonetheless, one of these two comes along whenever I pack my dopp bag.
IMG_1774.jpeg
 
Last edited:

chazt

shave
The current state of Isle of Man brush making hearkens back to the 1960s when Gibson and Epiphone guitars were built side by side by the same craftspeople using the same techniques and materials. While the guitars had obvious differences (to guitarists), they were and still to this day remain fraternal twins.

I’ve owned two other Vulfix brushes. Like these, quality was top notch. Really, the only significant differences I can point to (beyond the decal) are the naming of the hair grades and density of the knots. In my experience, Simpson branded brushes are typically denser than Vulfix. Simpson Best badger is equivalent to Vulfix Super badger. Both brands offer beautiful and unique handles. And regardless of the badge, when you find a knot you like, it’s lightning in a bottle!
IMG_1786.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
 

Shaun2

Forum GOD!
This old Case in best badger, circa 1993, is now heading to the Isle of Man for a reknot.Hopefully, I'll be able to pick it up in Scotland by the end of October.

View attachment 182357View attachment 182358View attachment 182359
I rather like the knot on yours Teiste, actually. I think it is a fair bit earlier than 1993 though! It's butterscotch, for starters, and utilises lamp black. Pre-Carter, certainly.

Here is a brush on its way to me, but in Pure. I didn't already have a Beaufort, and this is the number 5. It dates to around 1970:
s-l1600.png
 
Last edited:

Shaun2

Forum GOD!
Here is my butterscotch "Case" (needs a wash and a comb) but notice that there is no lampblack under what would have been a decal, and it also has the word "Sterilized" stamped under "Best Badger" on the handle. Compare it to Teiste's Case, above.

Now, here's a thought: Is mine what was speculated as the "Wee Scot 3"? Who knows, but either way, I think Teiste's is nicer to look at. Mine might be older (1950s?) as it was once mandated that "Sterilized" had to be stamped onto the handle. Later on, the word was printed on the decal.

IMG_8849.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Teiste

Forum GOD!
Here is my butterscotch "Case" (needs a wash and a comb) but notice that there is no lampblack under what would have been a decal, and it also has the word "Sterilized" stamped under "Best Badger" on the handle. Compare it to Teiste's Case, above.

Now, here's a thought: Is mine what was speculated as the "Wee Scot 3"? Who knows, but either way, I think Teiste's is nicer to look at. Mine might be older (1950s?) as it was once mandated that "Sterilized" had to be stamped onto the handle. Later on, the world was printed on the decal.

View attachment 182362
What a beauty of a Case, my friend! It actually looks better than mine.


The Case I sent to the Isle of Man was bought by a late friend of mine. He told me he got it in London back in 1993—man, I was only 14 in '93! I don't remember much else about the story behind this brush; it was gifted to me in 2010, and my friend passed away in 2022. So, I'm sure you know more about this particular model than I do.


Unfortunately, the knot has shed a lot of hair and has become extremely floppy. Still, I really like its bulb-shaped knot, which isn't something you see in modern Simpson brushes.


Anyway, I'm sure Mark will work his magic on it, but yours... what an absolute beauty!
 
Last edited:

Teiste

Forum GOD!
The current state of Isle of Man brush making hearkens back to the 1960s when Gibson and Epiphone guitars were built side by side by the same craftspeople using the same techniques and materials. While the guitars had obvious differences (to guitarists), they were and still to this day remain fraternal twins.

I’ve owned two other Vulfix brushes. Like these, quality was top notch. Really, the only significant differences I can point to (beyond the decal) are the naming of the hair grades and density of the knots. In my experience, Simpson branded brushes are typically denser than Vulfix. Simpson Best badger is equivalent to Vulfix Super badger. Both brands offer beautiful and unique handles. And regardless of the badge, when you find a knot you like, it’s lightning in a bottle!View attachment 182211View attachment 182212
While they can be hit-or-miss, some Vulfix brushes are simply stellar.


I have two 2235s (one standard Vulfix and one made for the old Crabtree & Evelyn) and a 2233, all of which are among the very best shaving brushes I have ever tried. The custom run made for BullGoose Shaving—the 404 in two-band super badger—is another splendid one.


Then there are the D.R. Harris H2 and H3 brushes in best and super badger: absolute crème de la crème. I'm not exaggerating when I say my H3 is nearly as dense as a Chubby 2, and the hair grade, despite being labeled "best," feels much more like super badger. All three of those brushes (two H2s and the H3) were bought directly at their London shop.
 

chazt

shave
Beautiful brushes! Thanks for posting them, @Teiste and @Shaun2. Guys, I do love the butterscotch color your Case brushes have turned. I’m more than a bit envious. And the C&E logo is trés cool :cool:

I waited too long on the BGS 404. By the time I was ready to try and buy, it was long gone. That’s when I learned to jump on certain shave goods that wink in my direction.
 

Teiste

Forum GOD!
ahhh back to the good old days. Those bullgoose 2 bands were epic. I have the 404 and Douglas. I do have an Ehsan but its engraved GFT rather than simpson, pretty rare thing.
Its definitely a superb brush, a good example of how good two band badger hair used to be. Im still looking for a Duke 3 for GFT, David Carter era, in best badger.That would be my grail brush these days. Kind Regards, my good friend.
 

Teiste

Forum GOD!
Beautiful brushes! Thanks for posting them, @Teiste and @Shaun2. Guys, I do love the butterscotch color your Case brushes have turned. I’m more than a bit envious. And the C&E logo is trés cool :cool:

I waited too long on the BGS 404. By the time I was ready to try and buy, it was long gone. That’s when I learned to jump on certain shave goods that wink in my direction.
Those brushes sold out quickly, as did the Ehsan (Colonel handle in two-band) and Douglas (58 handle with two-band hair)—though not as fast as the Phyl8 in best badger, which saw 200 units sell out in under 24 hours. Those were definitely the good old days, the golden era of wet shaving.
 
Top