Silver Birch Brushes

GoReds

Forum GOD!
I’ve used a couple of supposedly good synthetic brushes and they simply can’t perform nearly as well as a natural hair brush.

So what advantage does a synthetic brush really have over badger hair?
If you are happy with badger brushes then use them.

Personally I use several different types of brushes. Synthetic brushes work differently than boar or badger ones. Once you learn how to use it, I found them as fantastic lather monsters using less soap as usual. They dry really fast also.

It is very fine that there are people who do not appreciate them.

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Synthetic shaving brushes can equally destroy any hard soap, make perfectly great lather, they require very low maintenance before or after the shave (drying, etc.), they are far better as far as hygiene is concerned, and finally they are rather inexpensive as compared to their badger hair counterparts.

If you feel that synths are inferior, this is perfectly fine. Means that for a number of reasons, some of which you already described, synthetic brushes are probably not for you. However it is good to keep in mind that there are more expensive badger hair brushes which perform so good that they completely blow away these low-end Chinese ones. We always get what we pay for.

Similarly, many people do very much prefer natural badger hair on their face, instead of synthetic bristle hair. While it is true for many that the feeling you get from a good badger hair brush cannot be replaced or reproduced by anything else, there are also people who swear by the effectiveness, practicality and overall character of synthetic shaving brushes.

You should certainly explore the world of badger brushes but I'd suggest you allow a very small doubt in the whole equation, as you never know, in a year, or two or three, you may also start to feel the desire to give synthetics another go.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Ok so I’m kinda new at wet shaving having only been doing it for a year but I don’t understand the why of synthetic brushes. With the availablity of very good, and very inexpensive, real badger hair brushes from China why would I want to use an inferior product? I’ve used a couple of supposedly good synthetic brushes and they simply can’t perform nearly as well as a natural hair brush. The only reason I can think of to use a synthetic brush is if you’re concerned with possible cruelty to badgers.
Its like a jacket or sleeping bag, down is far superior to polyester fiber. The only advantage of the fake down is price and performance when wet. In every other way natural down is significantly better.
So If badger brushes were all fairly pricey and synthetic much cheaper I’d get it, but that’s not the case anymore. So what advantage does a synthetic brush really have over badger hair?
I could make a similar but reverse comparison between rubberised cotton raincoats and those made from Gore-Tex and similar breathable fabrics.

Value is a function of price and attributes desirable to the end user. The latter varies from individual to individual and is not just down to measurable factors either. That's why saying one product is better than other, aside from obvious outliers, is a matter of opinion, not fact.

GoReds

Forum GOD!
Friends, maybe we should move this discussion about brushes into another thread and not here. I realise that I made this mistake myself.

Let us make comments on "Silver Birch Brushes" topic hear. Thank you for your understanding.

Steven_jagger

Forum GOD!
Beautiful boar brush. What knot is that from? I am guessing you harvest it from another brush.
Thanks GoReds, one of my first pours so not 100% perfect think i tried to many colours, I bought 6 of them over a year ago and can't remember from who, 20mm x 60mm 1st one i have used for myself