Review Signature Soaps Hibernian

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
I wanted some of Brian’s excellent bar shampoo last week and ended up ordering 3 travel tins of his hybrid soap as well (don’t pretend you don’t know how it happens :D )

Brian very kindly put in a sample of his new AS splash to go with the Hibernian soap.

I shaved for the first time since Wednesday evening using a NOS Personna platinum chrome in a V4 Rocca. I’ve been using the Muhle for the last couple of weeks while on a course and shaving the evening before early get ups. Using the more efficient razor means I don’t look scruffy by lunch time but shaving with it 6 days a week has given “decent” alum and aftershave feedback.

I’ve always had decent shaves with Brian’s soap but this morning was superb, possibly my closest shave ever and virtually no alum feedback. I think I must have got the water to soap ratio just right as the performance was amazing.

The fragrance to my nose is pure lime and very pleasant.

The aftershave splash was in a glass bottle similar to those used by OSP with the same type of stopper to dispense the liquid. The face feel was excellent and no sting at all. Fragrance again was strong lime, reminiscent of GFT but longer lasting and with a much better feel.

I’m going to shave all next week with the same set up and see if I can keep up the good work.

As stated the aftershave was a gift but I did pay for all my soap. Brian’s hybrid shave soaps are superb in terms of performance and value for money and, although I don’t know pricing, I think his new matching aftershaves look to join his soaps in excellence.

Boycie83

Space Cadet
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Signature Soaps. I was also lucky enough to get some splashes to test with an order I placed last week.

Hibernia is my favourite soap in the range. I get the lemon and lime notes upfront with the sweet orange and lavender following. The same experience with the splash. Both the soap and splash feel and smell really natural. Most artisan ASLs tend to irritate my skin but neither the Hibernia or Eboracum (Peppermint and Cedarwood) from @Brianh do which is testament to the quality ingredients he uses. I'll certainly be adding more when they become formally available.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I wanted some of Brian’s excellent bar shampoo last week and ended up ordering 3 travel tins of his hybrid soap as well (don’t pretend you don’t know how it happens :D )

Brian very kindly put in a sample of his new AS splash to go with the Hibernian soap.

I shaved for the first time since Wednesday evening using a NOS Personna platinum chrome in a V4 Rocca. I’ve been using the Muhle for the last couple of weeks while on a course and shaving the evening before early get ups. Using the more efficient razor means I don’t look scruffy by lunch time but shaving with it 6 days a week has given “decent” alum and aftershave feedback.

I’ve always had decent shaves with Brian’s soap but this morning was superb, possibly my closest shave ever and virtually no alum feedback. I think I must have got the water to soap ratio just right as the performance was amazing.

The aftershave splash was in a glass bottle similar to those used by OSP with the same type of stopper to dispense the liquid. The face feel was excellent and no sting at all. Fragrance again was strong lime, reminiscent of GFT but longer lasting and with a much better feel.

I’m going to shave all next week with the same set up and see if I can keep up the good work.

As stated the aftershave was a gift but I did pay for all my soap. Brian’s hybrid shave soaps are superb in terms of performance and value for money and, although I don’t know pricing, I think his new matching aftershaves look to join his soaps in excellence.
Nice review,
I have the Signature Soaps lavender scented shave soap and the unecented Goats milk shave soap plus a couple of aftershave splashes I'm testing for Brian.
The soap is very good indeed, im very impressed with the quality of lather and the lavender scent is natural too.
The aftershave splashes are spot on, very good indeed but I've not had them long enough to write a review yet but so far so good! :) P.

Brianh

Forum GOD!
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Signature Soaps. I was also lucky enough to get some splashes to test with an order I placed last week.

Hibernia is my favourite soap in the range. I get the lemon and lime notes upfront with the sweet orange and lavender following. The same experience with the splash. Both the soap and splash feel and smell really natural. Most artisan ASLs tend to irritate my skin but neither the Hibernia or Eboracum (Peppermint and Cedarwood) from @Brianh do which is testament to the quality ingredients he uses. I'll certainly be adding more when they become formally available.
That’s kind of you to say that Chris
Regards Brian

Brianh

Forum GOD!

Thank you Harvey, it’s really appreciated. Regards Brian

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Looking for a little advice, I was kindly gifted a sample of signature soap of recent. Took a chubby synthetic to a large scoop, squashed into the old shaving bowl. Loads of lather, very easy to create but no matter how hard I worked the brush it kept producing lots of not so cushioned lather? Applied to a dry face to make sure water ratio wasn't OTT but no luck? Any tips? The brush was fairly dry and small amounts of water added to the bowl.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Looking for a little advice, I was kindly gifted a sample of signature soap of recent. Took a chubby synthetic to a large scoop, squashed into the old shaving bowl. Loads of lather, very easy to create but no matter how hard I worked the brush it kept producing lots of not so cushioned lather? Applied to a dry face to make sure water ratio wasn't OTT but no luck? Any tips? The brush was fairly dry and small amounts of water added to the bowl.
I've found that half a tea spoon of the Signature Soap is more than enough to produce enough lather for a shave with a little left in the bowl.
I didn't have any problems with lathering this soap, with just a little water added untill I get the correct consistancy. NB. I live in a soft water area, I am not sure if this matters. P.

wintoid

Out of control
I live in a hard water area, and I've found lathering Signature soaps a matter of faith. I've gone for it, on the wet side, and it always starts looking too airy, and I think I've gone too far with the water. If I keep working it, however, something magical happens, and it thickens up. I always lose the faith, but experience has shown to just keep going.

Brianh

Forum GOD!
Have a look at
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObgmL9-UIc8
for now lathering. Just use pea sized amount smeared on bottom of bowl. Use damp brush and a small amounts to build up creamy lather with excellent cushion. Alternatively gather soap onto damp brush and face lather adding water to brush as you go. The soap will “take water” and customer tell me it works fine in different water types including London Basin and Norfolk/Suffolk which can be problematic for lathering. Hope that helps, let me know how you get on. Regards Brian

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
The amount of soap required will depend on one's brush, but I find I scoop out a small pea's worth of the soap (for my 24mm synths) and press into a bowl/lid with a few drops of water and keep on swirling the brush until it's picked up all the soap, then I build the lather on my face adding a few drops of water at time, it takes a fair amount of water to get hydrated and easily get 4 passes worth of slick thick lather from the pea of soap.

I live in SW London which has very hard water and I find if I load the right amount of soap and the water then I get a superb lather everytime. My technique to build a lather is a little different to other soaps I own but I find it to be as easy a soap to build a lather with as of any soap I have used.

honeywoodjohn

Forum GOD!

Signature Soaps are brilliant and @Brianh is a great guy. I didn't know he was working on splashes - that is very exciting news, can't wait to try them out. The ingredients look good too :)