Sensitive skin help

honeywoodjohn

Forum GOD!
Hi all,

I've been on here for a good few months now and it has been a great source of information and help etc... I have experimented with quite a lot of hardware and software, as well as honing technique but I still intermittently struggle with flare ups which don't necessarily seem to be shave related (although I am not 100% certain that this is the case).

Basically I have tried isolating soaps / razors / blades / post shave / pre shave but it has been inconclusive. Something that works brilliantly at one time may not be great the next. The shave itself can feel extremely smooth and great but a couple of hours later things can start to flare up but not always.

I am now wondering if I may be sensitive to something else altogether. I have noticed that without shaving my face can seem worse after a shower and when I am in a hot environment, it can also affect it. Witch hazel and aloe based products do appear to help.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone else has suffered from anything like this and if you have any tips?

Much appreciated.
 

Will-J

Forum GOD!
I have similar issues at times, the lower area of my neck on one side in particular flares up on occasion and looks a little red particularly where I have one spot where the hair growth is in an almost circular direction so very difficult to shave "with" the grain in any instance.

For me two aspects that keep this under control are:

1) A regular routine, I can shave daily but find I get a better result and more comfortable shave on two days growth regardless of what razor, blade or soap combo I am using. Maybe experiment with how often you shave for a few weeks?

2) I noticed that my synthetic brushes are somewhat softer on my face than any of my badger ones and that when face lathering with the badgers I would often suffer a bit of irritation after the shave. I now only really use my badger brushes when bowl lathering.
 

honeywoodjohn

Forum GOD!
Thanks Will,

I have experimented a little with routines with mixed results. Sometimes it seems that daily helps with good quality soaps but sometimes I need to give it a rest. I'll move to every other day for a while and see if that helps.

It is interesting that you mention badger brushes - I had wondered if that could have an impact. I do always bowl lather now but it can seem worse when I use badger sometimes but I did wonder if that was a coincidence or if I was reading too much into things. I put my badger brush aside for a while and see if it helps.

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
 

DarkSpy

Forum GOD!
Hot water can have an affect.
I wouldn't shower before shaving and would try other pre shave regiment. I haven't cracked mine yet, but having your skin moisturized can only help.
It's winter and, personally, I can't do it, but some people swear by cold water shaves.
 

Koiguchi

Well-Known Member
My base layer before soap is Noxzema medicated cream.
It takes the heat out of the feather blades, and keeps my sensitive skin happy
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Hot water can have an affect. It's winter and, personally, I can't do it, but some people swear by cold water shaves.
Yes, been happily shaving with cold water for years no matter the season. You don't have to use cold water but may be try lukewarm water instead of hot water.

Bob
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
A dermatologist or skin clinic may be a good first call.

There may be stuff in the shaving gear you use that your skin reacts to, which is a matter of testing. Short of particularly challenging conditions or diagnoses, I think finding a proper routine for one’s skin may help. By that I mean more than shave wise, however: cleansing, moisturising, and possibly serums, all three of which may include forms of acid/chemical peel. These acids clear your skin thereby preventing flare ups, but should not be overused. Have a look at this page for info on AHA, BHA and PHA acids, then look at brands like The Ordinary, Nip+Fab and plenty others. Doesn’t have to be very costly.
 
Top