Science is against us

alex1921

Forum GOD!
It is quite clear how the World Health Organization determines it's ranking and can be found here https://www.who.int/whr/2000/media_centre/press_release/en/ if you scroll down a bit.

Many countries have fine world class hospitals such as the Mayo Clinic so the US system is not the only one capable of producing those types of hospitals.

Yes, patients in the US tend to be over treated and the hospitals compete for patients with lavish surroundings because doctors and the hospitals make money over treating and increased number of patients. It also leads to under utilization of services in case, as an example, there are multiple CAT scan units spread over a number different hospitals in a city when one or possibly 2 would be more than enough to cover the needs.

The US spends more on health care than a lot of other countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_per_capita . That is offset by a higher infant mortality rate than a lot of other countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_and_under-five_mortality_rates . I am sure there are examples to show poorer outcomes for monies spent compared to other countries.

In Canada you get your health care most of it anyway, paid for out of taxes, with no cost to you. Everyone is covered regardless of age or pre existing conditions. Dental, Eye exams and prescription drugs are not covered till you reach age 65. You need private coverage for those and while prescription drugs are generally cheaper than in the US they are still not as cheap as in Europe because it is private medicine. Even without a private drug plan in Ontario the province will pay for your drugs, based on income, from the Ontario Trillium Foundation. There is now a push on to get some sort of national prescription drug plan up and running to reduce cost even further. I hope like hell that comes to pass.

Just recently medically assisted dying has been introduced so the patient can decide when enough is enough. Even before that the patient could choose to sign a DNR, Do Not Resuscitate, form.

Bob
Actually we lose by over treating and keeping patients in the hospital. There is a huge push for minimizing days spent in the hospital but at the same time you get penalized by readmissions. Yes some specialties do keep treating because they benefit financially as nothing is black or white.
Part of the over testing is driven by defensive medicine due to lawsuits so docs practice cover your ass style.
Medically assisted dying is a blessing - as a believer of true freedom I should be allowed to make decisions about myself.
Profit margins for hospitals are surprisingly small here.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Actually we lose by over treating and keeping patients in the hospital. There is a huge push for minimizing days spent in the hospital but at the same time you get penalized by readmissions. Yes some specialties do keep treating because they benefit financially as nothing is black or white.
Part of the over testing is driven by defensive medicine due to lawsuits so docs practice cover your ass style.
Medically assisted dying is a blessing - as a believer of true freedom I should be allowed to make decisions about myself.
Profit margins for hospitals are surprisingly small here.
Yes, you loose because, as you say, your system is inefficient in providing health care for whatever reason when compared to a large number of other country's systems. The cost per patient is more no matter how you cut it for patient outcomes that are generally no better than a large number of other countries and in some cases even worse. Overall the US medical system does not appear to be a benchmark in quite a few aspects. If you are fine with that it is OK too as no health care system is perfect.

Bob
 

alex1921

Forum GOD!
OK. Maybe I should consider moving then.
Nah, no way. We still have the best medical system.
I explained above why our outcomes are not better and it has nothing to do with medicine but with the way the society views death/end of life issues etc.
Never been to Canada so can't judge your health care but I have lived in many Europeans countries and also have friends who practice medicine there. Seen few hospital up close as well. Honestly - I am staying in the US :)
I was open to questions but obviously you just have to convince everyone you are correct, so be it. I get it.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
OK. Maybe I should consider moving then.
Nah, no way. We still have the best medical system.
I explained above why our outcomes are not better and it has nothing to do with medicine but with the way the society views death/end of life issues etc.
Never been to Canada so can't judge your health care but I have lived in many Europeans countries and also have friends who practice medicine there. Seen few hospital up close as well. Honestly - I am staying in the US :)
I was open to questions but obviously you just have to convince everyone you are correct, so be it. I get it.
Not trying to convince you to move, you are happy where you are. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the point of the US health care system being the best in the world.

Bob
 
D

Deleted member 476

Guest
The local Minneapolis Mayo clinic couldn't save Prince.



 
D

Deleted member 476

Guest
Hmm, no Mayo hospital in Minneapolis. Rochester MN, Scottsdale AZ and Jacksonville FL :)
Hmmmmm, so when medical professionals from across the world, come to MN to attend The Mayo, where do they typically fly into, Minneapolis/St. Paul or land in the middle of the corn fields in Rochester MN? :laugh:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

alex1921

Forum GOD!
Hmmmmm, so when medical professionals from across the world, come to MN to attend The Mayo, where do they typically fly into, Minneapolis/St. Paul or land in the middle of the corn fields in Rochester MN? :laugh:
Middle of the corn fields. My friend interviewed there for a job, flew directly to Rochester and that's his exact description :)
The airport there is big enough though to land a Boeing 747. When the late Saudi king came for a physical back in 2008 they landed 2 of them since he travelled with full entourage.
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Middle of the corn fields. My friend interviewed there for a job, flew directly to Rochester and that's his exact description :)
The airport there is big enough though to land a Boeing 747. When the late Saudi king came for a physical back in 2008 they landed 2 of them since he travelled with full entourage.
The airport can accommodate large commercial aircraft because it is the home of Kodak. You know, Eastman Kodak Company. Those little rolls of film that you would pop into your little instamatic camera that no one uses anymore. The company is now a mere shadow of itself. $16 million in net income for 2016. I don't know too many individuals who can live on that kind of money, let alone an entire corporation. And get this. Headquartered in Rochester, NY yet incorporated in...........wait for it............New Jersey??? Why in God's name? And I live there. It is the Garden State. For good reason. Well, at least North Jersey is. But it's is notoriously difficult for business. Or I thought it was. Someone at Kodak must have felt that the corporate laws in NJ offered better protections than elsewhere. Anyway. You know the company. Not sure what they do now though.
 

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
The airport can accommodate large commercial aircraft because it is the home of Kodak. You know, Eastman Kodak Company. Those little rolls of film that you would pop into your little instamatic camera that no one uses anymore. And I live there. It is the Garden State. .
Hi MntnMan62, This got me thinking about my Father and I, in the mid 70s.
My Father was a professional photographer and every second Saturday, we would head off to the Dublin county based Eastman Kodak company. Whilst, we lived in Wicklow county "The Garden of Ireland". Ireland back then was such a laid back rural country outside of the main city's, at least. So we would get into the "Green Machine" a 1969 green VW Bug and hit the road. If we used the the motorway to Dublin this trip could have been done in 90mins but because of his love for our county, these trips would last hours and they did. My Father would always take a different scenic route to Kodak.
Up over hills and vales to the Sally gap and Djouce mountain and looking down on Lough Tay and South west Wicklow in the amber glow.


From here, we would saunter over a quite green lush border into the concrete jungle of county Dublin. Up to the big yellow Kodak building and my Father would collect a myriad of developer fluids and and reams photo-papers. The guy at the counter would always give me a new story about Kodak every time we went there.
Personally, I loved the idea that my Father was using the same stuff that NASA had used.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Hi MntnMan62, This got me thinking about my Father and I, in the mid 70s.
My Father was a professional photographer and every second Saturday, we would head off to the Dublin county based Eastman Kodak company. Whilst, we lived in Wicklow county "The Garden of Ireland". Ireland back then was such a laid back rural country outside of the main city's, at least. So we would get into the "Green Machine" a 1969 green VW Bug and hit the road. If we used the the motorway to Dublin this trip could have been done in 90mins but because of his love for our county, these trips would last hours and they did. My Father would always take a different scenic route to Kodak.
Up over hills and vales to the Sally gap and Djouce mountain and looking down on Lough Tay and South west Wicklow in the amber glow.


From here, we would saunter over a quite green lush border into the concrete jungle of county Dublin. Up to the big yellow Kodak building and my Father would collect a myriad of developer fluids and and reams photo-papers. The guy at the counter would always give me a new story about Kodak every time we went there.
Personally, I loved the idea that my Father was using the same stuff that NASA had used.
That's a beautiful photograph.
 

alex1921

Forum GOD!
The airport can accommodate large commercial aircraft because it is the home of Kodak. You know, Eastman Kodak Company. Those little rolls of film that you would pop into your little instamatic camera that no one uses anymore. The company is now a mere shadow of itself. $16 million in net income for 2016. I don't know too many individuals who can live on that kind of money, let alone an entire corporation. And get this. Headquartered in Rochester, NY yet incorporated in...........wait for it............New Jersey??? Why in God's name? And I live there. It is the Garden State. For good reason. Well, at least North Jersey is. But it's is notoriously difficult for business. Or I thought it was. Someone at Kodak must have felt that the corporate laws in NJ offered better protections than elsewhere. Anyway. You know the company. Not sure what they do now though.
I was referring to Rochester, MN. Never been to Rochester NY but I came to the US through NJ, lived there for 3 years and still consider it my home. I just love the state, the shore etc. Even got married in Sea Bright.

Yes the above foto is amazing.
 
Last edited:

TobyC

Patriot
I was referring to Rochester, MN. Never been to Rochester NY but I came to the US through NJ, lived there for 3 years and still consider it my home. I just love the state, the shore etc. Even got married in Sea Bright.

Yes the above foto is amazing.
NJ, and then MN, the accents will kill you!!! :facepalm::giggle:
 
Top