Sainsburys DE blades?

chazt

shave
Great value!

When we had store brands on brick and mortar shelves here, the country of manufacture was always shown on the back of the card. The cards were hung on long hooks, and you’d slide one off and place it in your basket. Most cards said Made in Israel, and later, India. Now we have nothing in the stores except VDH which are held under maximum security.

This “trend” established itself during the pandemic. Now, a store clerk has to come and unlock the display, and then personally hand carries it to the checkout counter. The customer isn’t permitted to touch the package until it’s been paid for. This is a major turnoff for me. I suspect they sell very few razor blades.
 

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
Great value!

When we had store brands on brick and mortar shelves here, the country of manufacture was always shown on the back of the card. The cards were hung on long hooks, and you’d slide one off and place it in your basket. Most cards said Made in Israel, and later, India. Now we have nothing in the stores except VDH which are held under maximum security.

This “trend” established itself during the pandemic. Now, a store clerk has to come and unlock the display, and then personally hand carries it to the checkout counter. The customer isn’t permitted to touch the package until it’s been paid for. This is a major turnoff for me. I suspect they sell very few razor blades.
I thought at first this was a health and safety concern, that you would go crazy with a razor blade but is this degree of security more to do the blades being stolen, just a small item that you could put in your pocket and perhaps too small for the store to apply a security tag?
 

chazt

shave
I thought at first this was a health and safety concern, that you would go crazy with a razor blade but is this degree of security more to do the blades being stolen, just a small item that you could put in your pocket and perhaps too small for the store to apply a security tag?
I’m sure it’s related to loss prevention. But yes, they can easily put a small, stick-on security thingamajig on the back of the card which would trigger the store detectors at the door. It does strike me as odd however, that DE razor blades would be a serious pilferage concern in this day and age.
 

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
I’m sure it’s related to loss prevention. But yes, they can easily put a small, stick-on security thingamajig on the back of the card which would trigger the store detectors at the door. It does strike me as odd however, that DE razor blades would be a serious pilferage concern in this day and age.
Perhaps it was a case that all blades go under lock and key whereas the real target for the thieves was the multipacks of cartridge blades
 

Zorro

Forum GOD!
Sainsburys own brand blades used to be "made in Israel" and i was certain they were Persona. I bought a pack and they were mild and smooth blades that got the job done.

Am sure the made in Germany ones will be similar smooth and middle of the road sharpness.
 

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
Could be. Is that common practice where you are?
I don't think they are locked away but there are extra cameras around the shaving stuff area, nothing of much value other than packs of cartridge blades. I have no information on the subject but I would not be surprised if they were not stolen to order.
 
Top