Sē'bŭm Gold Have Launched a New Sister Company!

So did you enjoy the soap after you sold your car?
Unfortunately (for him) the day I received the email was the same day I stopped drinking.
He also wanted me to purchase 5 x 1ml samples of different sources of Frankincense first at an additional $100.
I could burn some Royal Green Hojari in the bathroom whilst shaving with some Vitos, swipe a nice aged Mysore Sandalwood and a few dabs of quality Hindi Oud and still pocket some change. No $2 corked glass jar though.

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
First you go after the Carbon Shaving guy and now this. Keep pandering to the reddit crowd. You should just keep quiet and sell razors. No other "artisan" agitates like you do. Shameful.
No thank you. I'll continue to share my thoughts as I see fit. I do appreciate your concern and I look forward to your review of these soaps.

Also, I only go on Reddit for the occasional AMA. I'm here far more often so it looks like you'll be seeing me around!

R181

Grumpy old man
You know, when a salesman starts trashing the competition I usually look elsewhere for what I am looking for.

Bob

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
You know, when a salesman starts trashing the competition I usually look elsewhere for what I am looking for.

Bob
Hi Bob. Fair enough! Sebum is not a competitor and I did not "trash" them, but you should spend your money as you'd like.

In the five years I've been in business I've been more active and engaged on these forums than just about any other vendor yet some choose to focus on the one time you've seen me be even slightly critical of a company. If you browse through my hundreds of posts you'll find exponentially more posts of me praising other companies. I suspect it's much easier to reach conclusions based on one post than it is to actually learn about my company, my reputation, or my personal interactions with the thousands of customers I have around the world.

R181

Grumpy old man
Hi Bob. Fair enough! Sebum is not a competitor and I did not "trash" them, but you should spend your money as you'd like.

In the five years I've been in business I've been more active and engaged on these forums than just about any other vendor yet some choose to focus on the one time you've seen me be even slightly critical of a company. If you browse through my hundreds of posts you'll find exponentially more posts of me praising other companies. I suspect it's much easier to reach conclusions based on one post than it is to actually learn about my company, my reputation, or my personal interactions with the thousands of customers I have around the world.
The big difference between you and me and the majority of members on shave forums is that you own a business that is tied to shaving. Yes, you are right that it only take one critical post on an open forum to leave a bad impression, rightly or wrongly.

I use straight razors mostly so you likely never were in danger of me buying one of your products in any event. I did go to your site to see what is on offer and the product does look good to me.

Bob

Last edited:

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
The big difference between you and me and the majority of members on shave forums is that you own a business that is tied to shaving. Yes, you are right that it only take one critical post on an open forum to leave a bad impression, rightly or wrongly.

I use straight razors mostly so you likely never were in danger of me buying one of your products in any event. I did go to your site to see what is on offer and the product goes look good to me.

Bob
With all due respect, this line of thinking is problematic and the cause of so much of what's wrong in the world. Imagine if your friends and family reached conclusions about your character based on one thing you've said while choosing to ignore the totality of your life. I don't think many of us would have any friends left. I'm just a guy selling razors and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same courtesy. My track record speaks for itself and if someone chooses to ignore that then I think that says more about them than it does about me.

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
I actually like how Shane speaks his mind, DESPITE having his account directly linked to his company and the possibly negative impact this could have.

I assume he was active in the wet shaving community prior to owning a shaving related company. Why should he suddenly no longer be allowed to express his opinion.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I actually like how Shane speaks his mind, DESPITE having his account directly linked to his company and the possibly negative impact this could have.

I assume he was active in the wet shaving community prior to owning a shaving related company. Why should he suddenly no longer be allowed to express his opinion.
+1

Valuable insight and it's not like he's indulging in flame wars with competitors etc

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
My tub of unscented tonka soap arrived at my post office over the weekend and I'll be collecting it tomorrow.
So stay tuned for some testing shenanigans later in the week. :wink:

Incidentally, while researching some containers for a potential home-made aftershave project I ran across the same bottles used by Sebum.
They even have a cool matching stand for those who bought multiples of the Sebum serum.
For those who want to try to recreate the Sebum soap look, here are the soap jars.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Not tried any of their soaps, on saying that I absolutely love the scent of Tonka bean, maybe a future buy for me, we shall see?

Last edited: