Review Rx Asylum SE razor by Bullgooseshaving

kenloupa

Well despite what I said this morning, well apart from the Prolines giving me the best RX shave ever, I am admitting defeat with the Asylum. Just had the second shave of the day, I started with the Asylum and it was sore, tender and I gave up half way through the first pass. Switched to a permasharp in a Rockell and all was heaven again.
The RX has beaten me, I gave it a good go thinking it was blade choice but it isn't. Anyone want a minty RX with loads of blades?
I'm with you, Chico. I really tried to like the Rx, but I can't get a comfortable shave with it, despite trying different blades. It's just not for me. $ down the drain. One of the very few razors I don't care for.

Well mine is all packaged up ready to go out in the morning to it's new owner. I reckon it will be appreciated there and get some love. That is how it should be.
I tried to love it but it was unrequited.

kypros

Forum GOD!
Dear gents,

the RX I have said it before and I'll say it again, is like a str8 with a handle and demands respect. The angle is not intuitive and there is a learning curve to it. No pressure, learn the angle and it will amaze you how effortlessly will go through stubble. I had the same problems with mine in the beginning, but gave it a little thought and now it's my very best with a mild SE blade. I love it so much, I bought a second one just in case. Don't just go and sell yours after one shave. Experiment with it and it will reward you amply.

kenloupa

Dear gents,

the RX I have said it before and I'll say it again, is like a str8 with a handle and demands respect. The angle is not intuitive and there is a learning curve to it. No pressure, learn the angle and it will amaze you how effortlessly will go through stubble. I had the same problems with mine in the beginning, but gave it a little thought and now it's my very best with a mild SE blade. I love it so much, I bought a second one just in case. Don't just go and sell yours after one shave. Experiment with it and it will reward you amply.
I still have mine. To me it looks like a large injector razor and I have successfully shaved with many injectors including the most aggressive early models with no problem. When you say the angle is not intuitive, what angle do you find works best? With an injector, it usually is a very shallow angle that is used, almost like a cartridge razor. I'll give it another couple tries.

nvpliers

Forum GOD!
I still have mine. To me it looks like a large injector razor and I have successfully shaved with many injectors including the most aggressive early models with no problem. When you say the angle is not intuitive, what angle do you find works best? With an injector, it usually is a very shallow angle that is used, almost like a cartridge razor. I'll give it another couple tries.
My first shave with the Rx was a bit rough. For me, my prep was messed up - lather was too dry. But I too was not 100% sure on the proper angle. So, I emailed Phil from Bullgoose, asking him about the proper angle. NOTE: The part about the relaxed hand helped me immensely. Now, I consistently get extremely close, and comfortable shaves - with no bloodshed. Now with this technique, it seems like when the safety bar just lightly contacts the skin is what works for me. The relaxed hand kind of got me into that angle. But I do want to stress it was the relaxed hand/grip that made all the difference. Hope Phil's email below is helpful to you....

Here is Phil's reply to me:

"I think the key with the Rx is to use zero pressure and to maintain a relaxed hand. If you do this, the correct angle will become readily apparent. I really do not think about the angle at all; it just seems intuitive. If you over think it you will have a tendency to bear down and to have a rigid hand which will derail your shave.

I hope this helps."

kenloupa

My first shave with the Rx was a bit rough. For me, my prep was messed up - lather was too dry. But I too was not 100% sure on the proper angle. So, I emailed Phil from Bullgoose, asking him about the proper angle. NOTE: The part about the relaxed hand helped me immensely. Now, I consistently get extremely close, and comfortable shaves - with no bloodshed. Now with this technique, it seems like when the safety bar just lightly contacts the skin is what works for me. The relaxed hand kind of got me into that angle. But I do want to stress it was the relaxed hand/grip that made all the difference. Hope Phil's email below is helpful to you....

Here is Phil's reply to me:

"I think the key with the Rx is to use zero pressure and to maintain a relaxed hand. If you do this, the correct angle will become readily apparent. I really do not think about the angle at all; it just seems intuitive. If you over think it you will have a tendency to bear down and to have a rigid hand which will derail your shave.

I hope this helps."
Thanks nvpliers. I'll give it a go and see if I have any better luck. I don't care for the guarded blades, so will use my trusty Kai mild pinks.

nvpliers

Forum GOD!
Thanks nvpliers. I'll give it a go and see if I have any better luck. I don't care for the guarded blades, so will use my trusty Kai mild pinks.
You're welcome. And I should add, that 75% of the time, I am using the standard Feather Pro. Although I have the guarded blades, I lean toward the more aggressive Pros, since I am having good success shaving "unguarded".

kypros

Forum GOD!
Try riding the cap. It always works finding the angle and relax your wrist and fingers.

kenloupa

I used the Asylum Rx this morning with a Kai mild blade, the relaxed hand, zero pressure approach and I did get a very close shave. I had a few weepers despite being very careful. I am used to buffing a lot and couldn't restrain myself from doing this with the Rx, perhaps the cause of the weepers. In any case, I agree that this razor must be respected and is basically a straight on a stick. I am not sure I would want to shave with this on a daily basis, but I will hold on to it for times I want a super close shave as close to a straight as you can get. For daily shaving, I prefer the Colonial General or the Rockwell 6S. I do see the power of this razor now and I am glad I gave it another go.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
The RX is a great razor. This is my second purchase of an SE, first being the OneBlade. And it has been an awesome shave one after the other. I've had it for about 2 weeks now, and every morning it's the razor I reach for time and time again. It took me a shave or two, a nick and a couple of weepers, but once the angle and grip was found, pure bliss. Yes aggressive, but yet smooth and efficient. I find that if I stretch my skin in creating a flatter plane/surface for the blade, it is gloriously smooth. Sort of like straight shaving, just employ a little of the stretching and pulling, this razor just mows through whiskers. Best shaves I've given myself this side of a Wade & Butcher Wedge. Looking at it is like eye candy to be honest. I've had great results so far with the Kai Captain & Mild Pink. Looking forward to trying it out with the Feather Pro and some of the Guard blades from both Feather and Kai. Best $230 I've spent. Absolutely no regrets........
IMG_0228.JPG

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Update:
Just a few thoughts on my experience so far with the Asylum Rx. I have been participating in a fixed four combo for the month of March in another forum, in which the razor that I had chosen was the Rx. Figured that a month would be a good trial period in learning to use this fine tool. Along with that I have been using a Kai Titan Mild Pink blade to get my shaving on.
Gents to put it simply, it has been the best shaver that my hands have ever used. That includes my heirloom Wade & Butcher 13/16 Wedge. The ease at which the Rx can cut through whiskers regardless of hair growth has just been amazing. Yes, it took me 2-3 shaves and a few nicks and weepers here and there. But the patience has paid off, and I have been rewarded with some of the best BBS shaves ever.
I can see how some have had some trouble adjusting or trying to find the proper angle and technique to unlocking the potential this razor has to offer. And I say to them, don't give up on it. The Rx has plenty of weight to it, so definitely no pressure is needed. The blade gap and exposure is a little more aggressive than your average de, but that exposure brings with it the added benefit of cutting the whiskers efficiently and with less passes in my experience. The shaves have gotten so good that with 2 passes I can sincerely say BBS has been basically achieved. No touch ups, buffing or anything of the kind. One pass WTG, one pass ATG with a semi J-hook technique thrown in for the jawline and neck area. Irritation? None. Post shave feel is stupendous. Longevity of the post shave feel is just unreal. I can get 12 hours, and a couple times have reached 18 hours of no stubble or the 5 o'clock shadow.
What can I tell those that are not getting their best shaves with the Rx? There is a post somewhere here in this thread that if you hold it with a relaxed grip, and don't think about your angle or stroke it will come to you more naturally. And that is true, but I would like to also add one more bit of advice that I just happened to come across accidentally a couple weeks back that truly unlocked this beast for me. As I start my shave WTG, relaxed grip with my pinky under the bottom of the handle for balance. As I bring the Rx down, I sort of use a semi pulling away motion as I complete the stroke. Boom! It clicked. I keep my wrist straight, and sort of flare out the elbow a bit. Creates a natural swing and dropping motion, without any pressure added to the stroke. I don't hinge or bend at the wrist because that creates pressure as your hand and wrist combine to tense up muscle and nerves in that area, putting unnecessary force on the razor, which puts more pressure on the skin. That's what did it for me. And it works perfectly ATG as well.
I hope this little bit of info can help those that are trying to make this razor work for them. Relaxed grip, let the weight take control, don't think of the angle, and try a semi pulling away motion as if pulling the razor away from your face. Don't give up Gents, BBS is there for the taking with the Rx...... Good luck! :smug:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Update:
Just a few thoughts on my experience so far with the Asylum Rx. I have been participating in a fixed four combo for the month of March in another forum, in which the razor that I had chosen was the Rx. Figured that a month would be a good trial period in learning to use this fine tool. Along with that I have been using a Kai Titan Mild Pink blade to get my shaving on.
Gents to put it simply, it has been the best shaver that my hands have ever used. That includes my heirloom Wade & Butcher 13/16 Wedge. The ease at which the Rx can cut through whiskers regardless of hair growth has just been amazing. Yes, it took me 2-3 shaves and a few nicks and weepers here and there. But the patience has paid off, and I have been rewarded with some of the best BBS shaves ever.
I can see how some have had some trouble adjusting or trying to find the proper angle and technique to unlocking the potential this razor has to offer. And I say to them, don't give up on it. The Rx has plenty of weight to it, so definitely no pressure is needed. The blade gap and exposure is a little more aggressive than your average de, but that exposure brings with it the added benefit of cutting the whiskers efficiently and with less passes in my experience. The shaves have gotten so good that with 2 passes I can sincerely say BBS has been basically achieved. No touch ups, buffing or anything of the kind. One pass WTG, one pass ATG with a semi J-hook technique thrown in for the jawline and neck area. Irritation? None. Post shave feel is stupendous. Longevity of the post shave feel is just unreal. I can get 12 hours, and a couple times have reached 18 hours of no stubble or the 5 o'clock shadow.
What can I tell those that are not getting their best shaves with the Rx? There is a post somewhere here in this thread that if you hold it with a relaxed grip, and don't think about your angle or stroke it will come to you more naturally. And that is true, but I would like to also add one more bit of advice that I just happened to come across accidentally a couple weeks back that truly unlocked this beast for me. As I start my shave WTG, relaxed grip with my pinky under the bottom of the handle for balance. As I bring the Rx down, I sort of use a semi pulling away motion as I complete the stroke. Boom! It clicked. I keep my wrist straight, and sort of flare out the elbow a bit. Creates a natural swing and dropping motion, without any pressure added to the stroke. I don't hinge or bend at the wrist because that creates pressure as your hand and wrist combine to tense up muscle and nerves in that area, putting unnecessary force on the razor, which puts more pressure on the skin. That's what did it for me. And it works perfectly ATG as well.
I hope this little bit of info can help those that are trying to make this razor work for them. Relaxed grip, let the weight take control, don't think of the angle, and try a semi pulling away motion as if pulling the razor away from your face. Don't give up Gents, BBS is there for the taking with the Rx...... Good luck! :smug:

Great review. Quick question, does the head rattle when unloaded?

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Great review. Quick question, does the head rattle when unloaded?
Thanks. Head rattling? I'm assuming that you mean once I remove the blade and clean it up? None. Once I'm done I rinse and clean up the razor, remove the blade and dry them off. I reassemble the Rx without the blade in it, tighten it back down, place on stand and done. No rattling or looseness whatsoever.....

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks. Head rattling? I'm assuming that you mean once I remove the blade and clean it up? None. Once I'm done I rinse and clean up the razor, remove the blade and dry them off. I reassemble the Rx without the blade in it, tighten it back down, place on stand and done. No rattling or looseness whatsoever.....
Thanks, that is precisely what I meant. Any play between head and base plate one tightened, unloaded. My first uses the razor did not rattle and was a good shave.