random thoughts and questions - all things shaving

  • Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
Yep.
I have two brush stands. I like the look of em. If a brush drys more efficiently cool cool but all you would require is one for the brush you used most recently. I do like the look
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
What do you need them for? If it's drying your brushes, save your money. They dry fine stood on their handle.
Tbh from all the experienced wet shavers I seen on YouTube they always mention leaving the brush upside down to try out, that's obviously after trying to dry it with a towel or whatever you use
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
Agreed! One of the weirdest myths in this hobby is that you need to hang a brush upside down. You really don’t have to, water evaporates gradually as it hits the air. Your brushes will dry perfectly fine no matter which way up they are.
So it's just a myth?
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
So it's just a myth?
Yeah, I mean it makes no sense for starters. If your brush isn’t dripping water out then hanging it upside down achieves nothing but the water that’s in the bristles is staying there and will evaporate regardless of whether it’s up or down. And if it IS dripping it means you’ve not shaken as much water out as you can. Air will make water evaporate so it doesn’t matter what way around the brush it.

And yeah, there’s a lot of information bandied about in videos that comes from olde-worlde myths. Having to heat the blade, needing an astringent to ‘disinfect’ your skin after you’ve shaved, pores being able to open and close etc. It doesn’t mean you’re causing harm to do them, and if you want a brush holder because it looks nice that’s totally fine, but they’re still just myths perpetuated year after year that ultimately have no bearing on a good shave really.
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
Yeah, I mean it makes no sense for starters. If your brush isn’t dripping water out then hanging it upside down achieves nothing but the water that’s in the bristles is staying there and will evaporate regardless of whether it’s up or down. And if it IS dripping it means you’ve not shaken as much water out as you can. Air will make water evaporate so it doesn’t matter what way around the brush it.

And yeah, there’s a lot of information bandied about in videos that comes from olde-worlde myths. Having to heat the blade, needing an astringent to ‘disinfect’ your skin after you’ve shaved, pores being able to open and close etc. It doesn’t mean you’re causing harm to do them, and if you want a brush holder because it looks nice that’s totally fine, but they’re still just myths perpetuated year after year that ultimately have no bearing on a good shave really.
Yea although I've been wet shaving for a fair few years I still consider myself a newbie, either way I usually try to dry out the shaving brush as much possible then lay it sidewards to air dry like on the bathroom window sill, always seems to do the trick, just wanted something to hold half decent to keep the brushes in but obviously I was ignorant in thinking it being upside down helped it maybe dry out quicker

Tbh one of the reasons I thought it to be genuine as I seen it being mentiong by the YouTuber geofatboy and I've learnt a lot, I mean a lot from him, thanks for educating me though guys appreciate it 😁
 

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
If you paid $12 for your brush you probably care less than had you spent hundreds.
I guess that’s a reason to not buy expensive brushes.
I care for all my brushes and razors the same. Well except my FaTip. I’m more careful with it because it’s the most vulnerable to damage. Yes it’s a relatively inexpensive razor and can be replaced more easily but I don’t live that way.
 

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Yeah, I mean it makes no sense for starters. If your brush isn’t dripping water out then hanging it upside down achieves nothing but the water that’s in the bristles is staying there and will evaporate regardless of whether it’s up or down. And if it IS dripping it means you’ve not shaken as much water out as you can. Air will make water evaporate so it doesn’t matter what way around the brush it.
Adding to this, wouldn't bristles up make it easier for evaporation?
 

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
I would bet, nothing of real value, that a brush dries faster bristles down. The area that takes longest to dry is at the base of the knot. Hanging the brush to dry you have the moisture slowly wicking away from the base to the ends where it more easily evaporates.

Butttt does the difference in drying time make any impact whatsoever on the life and happiness of you and your brush? I think you’ll get a resounding “No” on this. And even if you do get some funk in your brush I’m sure a little soap can clean it right up. 😂
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I would bet, nothing of real value, that a brush dries faster bristles down. The area that takes longest to dry is at the base of the knot. Hanging the brush to dry you have the moisture slowly wicking away from the base to the ends where it more easily evaporates.

Butttt does the difference in drying time make any impact whatsoever on the life and happiness of you and your brush? I think you’ll get a resounding “No” on this. And even if you do get some funk in your brush I’m sure a little soap can clean it right up. 😂
Read up on capillary action. I believe the opposite to you. But agree, does it matter that much
 

Estariol

Forum GOD!
Adding to this, wouldn't bristles up make it easier for evaporation?
I can't find the link now, but i've bumped on an article about a univesity experiment in Germany, in which they've used shaving brushes and detemined that the best way to dry one is when it's layed on it's side. The experiment itself was not about brushes specifically, they were simply convenient to use.
I have an option to hang the brush i've used upside down so that's how i leave it, and i put it on it's handle in my small shaving cabinet the next day, near a satchet with silica gel that i keep in it.
EDIT : just to be clear, the silica gel is in the cabinet for general reasons, not specifically for the brushes.
 
Last edited:
Top