R41 blood bath :)

D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
For me i am not scared of this razor but rather how to tame it without chopping my face up and causing irritation. I used my alum stick and was like holly hell. Then concentrated areas with the pencil.

My face was so tight from all the alum.

I do agree not for the beginner! Thought I'd give it a go and see the close shave it can give!

I also believe of i can perfect my technique I can improve for the couple months I've been doing this
Insist with the beast. If you can get a close irritation free shave with it, then you have nothing to be afraid. Just watch the angle. Lock your elbow when you find it and move your whole hand, not just the wrist.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
It's the agianst the grain i am having issues with
Again, here is more important not to lose it. Because of the gravity we always tend to press on the ATG pass. Lock the angle and go for it.

Don't forget the lather. It must be wet. If this thing catches you, end of story. It shows no mercy.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest


Just stick your phone with this thread open on the mirror!
 

R181

Grumpy old man
For you Bob, that you have mastered the technique. I can do 4 passes too, but in the beginning with it, I was pressing down too much.

This razor is not for a beginner. The beast 2011 or 2013 remains a beast and takes no prisoners, you know that.
I never said it was for beginners, only that your technique had to be sorted out. It is just a razor after all is said and done. It is no harder than shaving with a Gillette Fat Boy set @ 9 but again at that setting it is not usually for beginners either.

Bob
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I never said it was for beginners, only that your technique had to be sorted out. It is just a razor after all is said and done. It is no harder than shaving with a Gillette Fat Boy set @ 9 but again at that setting it is not usually for beginners either.

Bob
Yes, both razors can bite. FWIW if I don't pay attention the R still bites me.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Yup, same with straight razors for me also. If people want a no mind shave then that is what carts are for. They seem to try and do everything for you.

Bob
Oh yes! And this is the reason I hate cartridges. Like driving an car with Auto-transmission.

Last time I tried shave 6 days of growth with a Fusion, 15 years ago, the pain was real! And no hair was cut of course.
 

Scubasteve

Well-Known Member
Oh yes! And this is the reason I hate cartridges. Like driving an car with Auto-transmission.

Last time I tried shave 6 days of growth with a Fusion, 15 years ago, the pain was real! And no hair was cut of course.

This is the part i enjoy, i used to cringe shaving! As it would hurt and be scratchy as hell!.
I would wait a few days then use hair clippers to go over my face then shave.

So glad i found de shaving! And this forum !
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Oh yes! And this is the reason I hate cartridges. Like driving an car with Auto-transmission.

Last time I tried shave 6 days of growth with a Fusion, 15 years ago, the pain was real! And no hair was cut of course.
I have shaved daily for about 50 years so never had that problem with carts. I can see why they would not work well on a heavy growth of whiskers and doubt they were ever meant to. I just meant that as razors evolved from straight razors to DEs on up to multiblade carts the emphasis has been on making them simpler to use and easy to maintain. There is less operator skill involved the further you move up the evolutionary trail.

Bob
 

Scubasteve

Well-Known Member
So i thought I'd report back and thank EVERYONE for the advice!

So I took the advice here and had a shave and it was still horrible but definitely better!

Took it for another shave but used my Merkur Razor that i am confident with made two passes. Then when it was time for against the grain i used the R41 and got a really close shave and no irritation. This proving stubblenhas to be next to nothing.


I have since shaved twice for all three passes with the R41. As of tonight i got some new shave soap as a gift!

I couldn't be happier my face is super smooth zero feedback and ended up with two minor nicks for lining up and added pressure grrrr

So my take away with this razor

Zero pressure even if you think your not you mat be pushing i was.

Angle Angle Angle!! find what works best!

If your petrified with this razor you will fail, you need to be confident and have fluid like movements.

Scared and petrified you will hack away.

For against the grain the stubble has to be super short already!

Most of what I said has been said in this thread! Just what has helped me to succeed and all input was appreciated and utilized.

I shaved and schrooled reading everyones input during a shave

This is not a beginner razor, however it does help with learning technique in a hurry!

Thanks again to all
 
Top