Nov. acquisitions

R181

Grumpy old man
Bought a tub of The Body Shop Maca Root and Aloe shaving cream. It was on at 30% off to boot. It is a great cream, but greatly under appreciated by the shaving fraternity. It’s one of the few reformulations that resulted in a better product.
Yes, I think you are right that it is greatly under appreciated by the shaving fraternity. Its downfall may be that it is so easily available and inexpensive that it has no chachet for some users. I have used both the old and new formula which were both excellent. Yes, the reformulation is one of the few that successfully worked and provided a better product to boot. I'll not be without it in my rotation.

Bob
 

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Yes, I think you are right that it is greatly under appreciated by the shaving fraternity. Its downfall may be that it is so easily available and inexpensive that it has no chachet for some users. I have used both the old and new formula which were both excellent. Yes, the reformulation is one of the few that successfully worked and provided a better product to boot. I'll not be without it in my rotation.

Bob
You’re right: It has no cachet, aka snob appeal. Their loss, our gain. I’ve used it since the early 1990s and loved the earlier formulation and was greatly impressed by the reformulation; I must say though that I was apprehensive at first in view of my experiences with other brands’ reformulations.
 

Estariol

Forum GOD!
View attachment 123948

View attachment 123950

These two arrived surprisingly fast, the black one is obviously the clone of the Irving Barber Company shavette, i'll see this evening how firmly the AC blade is held in it, so far, so good, i can't find any production flaws.
The Black-orange one seems to me lika the clone of the Feather DX, also made well, no surprises or differences in clamping compared to the SS clone i've been using during the past year.
Compared to the SS clone, however, both seem to need to be used with a significantly shallower angle than the SS clone. Loaded a Super Pro blade in the black one, and a Professional used 15 times (i think, and still going strong) in the orange-black. Reviews will be posted in the "Chinese Feather clone shavettes" thread in due time.
 

SammieM

Forum GOD!
Back when I was using carts, I ended up getting the Maca Having cream. I tried using it by just applying by hand since I didn’t have a brush and didn’t like it much. I should give it a try again…
 

slapo

It's... alive!
Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Optimised optical and mechanical design offers outstanding super-telephoto zoom performance for APS-C bodies (105-525mm equiv.)

View attachment 125061
At 70mm, with extension tubes, it might also make for a pretty decent macro lens (if fairly long).
I've been (occasionally) using my Sigma 70-300 lens that way, and the results have been pretty good, although a PITA to get things in focus. :D
 

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Picked up three Palmolive soap sticks at the local grocery shop. Haven't seen this sosp for a while maybe it's discontinued.
Pretty sure the sticks are still made, just not distributed to the UK any longer. That was the position three or more years ago, at least.
 
Top