Noob advice please

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Beard mapping is important, however, for me it is only important if you wish to achieve a BBS shave day in day out.
I know roughly which way my beard grows, but I don't think about this during a "normal" shave. For me, a simple down, across and up is more than enough for a shave that lasts in excess of 24hours. If a BBS is desired then, yeah, you will need to shave directly against the grain.
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Beard mapping is important, however, for me it is only important if you wish to achieve a BBS shave day in day out.
I know roughly which way my beard grows, but I don't think about this during a "normal" shave. For me, a simple down, across and up is more than enough for a shave that lasts in excess of 24hours. If a BBS is desired then, yeah, you will need to shave directly against the grain.
Probably noob enthusiasm on my part, better shave, less pain and irritation than ever before.
Can’t do normal at the moment, it’ll wear off, I’m sure.
 

jeepie

Forum GOD!
I have a similar issue too Jeepie. A perfect line under my chin bone
That one you can fix by stretching your skin up your face as if shaving with a straight. Put your left hand over your head and touch below your right earlobe. Pull up with your fingers.

The tricky skin on your jaw will now be on your cheek so you can shave the hair off on a flat surface. Give it a try!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
That one you can fix by stretching your skin up your face as if shaving with a straight. Put your left hand over your head and touch below your right earlobe. Pull up with your fingers.

The tricky skin on your jaw will now be on your cheek so you can shave the hair off on a flat surface. Give it a try!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I shall try to get my stumpy little arms, around and over my gigantic head LOL
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
My take,

Prep is shower including some kind of face wash, currently a goat milk and charcoal bar. Plus, if I bloom (soak/wet) the soap, I’ll rub that into my whiskers before loading and lathering up.

Pretty much always two pass shave for me. If going ATG it’ll always be for the third pass, and very carefully executed. I’ll quickly know if it’ll work, all depending on skin condition, equipment, lather, etc. I am able to plan for a very close shave for eg a wedding or something, but in general, chasing BBS is rarely a good idea for my skin.

I too have some omnidirectional growth on my neck it seems, but I disregard it and go with the majority. WTG for the first pass is N-S save for a belt across my lower neck which is S-N. XTG for the second pass on my face is ear to nose, the lower belt of the neck is always WTG again and the upper either WTG or ATG. I also have a trouble area on the chin/jaw, my right hand side, from a little above to a little under the chin/jaw bone. May need some more buffing but again, chasing is a bad idea so I mostly leave it a tad messier than the rest.

More importantly, however, whereas I in the beginning of my wet shaving career had to skip a day sometimes for the sake of my skin, I now shave every day and my skin is the better for it. Took a break recently for a few days during childbirth etc, and while the first shave after in essence was good, my skin had somehow lost its resilience or defence against the blade and suffered for four or five days. There is something to getting the skin used to the frequency of shaves, is my experience, which can only be achieved over time. If you’re going to up the frequency, I’d skip the ATG pass, at least until the skin is ‘hardened’.
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
More importantly, however, whereas I in the beginning of my wet shaving career had to skip a day sometimes for the sake of my skin, I now shave every day and my skin is the better for it. Took a break recently for a few days during childbirth etc, and while the first shave after in essence was good, my skin had somehow lost its resilience or defence against the blade and suffered for four or five days. There is something to getting the skin used to the frequency of shaves, is my experience, which can only be achieved over time. If you’re going to up the frequency, I’d skip the ATG pass, at least until the skin is ‘hardened’.
Good advice, thank you Halvor
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I shave everyday usually two passes, wtg, xtg, if I need a third pass it's gtx.
My aim is a dfs, I don't like to stress my skin chasing a bbs.
Mapping is important but so is learning your own skin, for example I have a patch that gets irritated if the first pass is wtg.
 

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Thank you Mem.
Yes mapping is ongoing.
As for prep, following a shower.
I’ve given up using Proraso pre shave, as I can’t notice a difference whether using it or not, though I do use it post shave as it is Proraso green and I like the menthol chil, lapart from that, focussing on lather (currently TOBS Sandlewood in both soap puck and cream) initially cream was winning but now puck is drawing level.
Shave concentrating on no pressure, angle and speed.
Short strokes, rinsing razor often (more than often on first pass) check for clogging (nil so far)
Rinse between passes.
Use alum after, mostly to see where I am stinging / sensitive - helping me narrow down blades for aggression.
As well as beard mapping try skin mapping. Look at how your skin is pre and post shower. And pre and cold basic face wash. Not really is subjective to all the parameters of your face. And thats before you even get to blade, soap and razor
 
D

Deleted member 30

Guest
They are weird ones as i've tried a couple of blades that were really good and the odd one that was either mild or dul. So i'm guessin QA is not consistent with the manufacture of these blades.
Yes you are right. I just took a closer look at the packaging and it says. "Made in China" "Swedish Steel" "Imported For Rockwell Razors Toronto Canada" That all sounds a bit too complicated to me, especially for razor blades. But what do I know, I make soap. LOL :)
 

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I only shave W and X the grain. My neck really suffers if I go against no matter what I do. The growth on my neck is multi directional and understanding the need to change directions during a single pass is key.

Keep trying things and you'll learn what's best for you. Don't strive for ATG if it causes issues.
 
I switch depending on my face. I usually go against the grain every day. Using cold water has really helped with this. If I have had a bad shave or acne then I will skip going against and just go with and across.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
I switch depending on my face. I usually go against the grain every day. Using cold water has really helped with this. If I have had a bad shave or acne then I will skip going against and just go with and across.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk
But you do the WTG and XTG first?
 
Normally yeah, for the across I go outside inwards. On the rare occasion I sometimes go with the grain and then against, but I my skin has to be in good condition for this. Otherwise it will end up with cuts.

Cold water shaving has worked wonders for me and how much my skin can tolerate. Blades that normally caused issues became manageable. Irritation much less.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Normally yeah, for the across I go outside inwards. On the rare occasion I sometimes go with the grain and then against, but I my skin has to be in good condition for this. Otherwise it will end up with cuts.

Cold water shaving has worked wonders for me and how much my skin can tolerate. Blades that normally caused issues became manageable. Irritation much less.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk
Will look into cold water when I get my blades and soap preferences dialled in.

Thanks to ATG and all that responded, passing on valuable experience, much appreciated.
 
Top