New Rant Thread

chazt

Forum !
Reminds me of a friend who is an accountant with an insurance company. He bought a horse for his daughter, at £25,000 I expressed some surprise but he justified it on the basis that it should live for 20 years and so £1000 was okay, he insured it but not that well considering he was in the business.

It was put in livery stables, first day in the field another horse took exception to this newcomer and kicked it on a precise spot on its chest, the horse died quickly but his policy didn't pay for death.

It would be my luck to drop another bottle of ink next week, without a shadow of doubt I would get a kick in the sphericals from Mrs Vac.
Wow, that’s a wild story! Listen, if that’s Mrs. V‘s worst reaction you should probably consider yourself lucky :D

When I was an adolescent I broke the little toe on my right foot while walking barefoot in my bedroom. Bashed that sucker right into the metal leg of my bed. The little guy remained taped to his neighbor for six weeks as I recall. The day after the doctor said I was healed and good to go, the day after the doctor said I was healed and good to go (don’t ask me how, just don’t, because I don’t know), I broke the same damn toe again! I wound up playing a lot of guitar instead of sports that summer. Which in retrospect was a very good thing. We’ve been lifelong pals ever since. And I learned that a lot of girls were more into guitar guys than sports guys. Win, win.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I had a BMW with run flat tyres, never again.
Within a year of purchasing my BMW Z4 I ditched the run flats for ultra high performance tyres, as recommended by my (independent) mechanic. Along with the tyres I purchased an electric air pump, which plugs into the car’s lighter, and a can of sealant, again recommended by my mechanic, to deal with any punctures in the absence of a spare tyre. The car handles and rides so much better with the new tyres.

chazt

Forum !
Within a year of purchasing my BMW Z4 I ditched the run flats for ultra high performance tyres, as recommended by my (independent) mechanic. Along with the tyres I purchased an electric air pump, which plugs into the car’s lighter, and a can of sealant, again recommended by my mechanic, to deal with any punctures in the absence of a spare tyre. The car handles and rides so much better with the new tyres.
High quality tires are so important for so many reasons. Road feel, safety, longevity. An area of auto maintenance/ownership we don’t scrimp on.

Vacumatic

Testy
Wow, that’s a wild story! Listen, if that’s Mrs. V‘s worst reaction you should probably consider yourself lucky :D

When I was an adolescent I broke the little toe on my right foot while walking barefoot in my bedroom. Bashed that sucker right into the metal leg of my bed. The little guy remained taped to his neighbor for six weeks as I recall. The day after the doctor said I was healed and good to go, the day after the doctor said I was healed and good to go (don’t ask me how, just don’t, because I don’t know), I broke the same damn toe again! I wound up playing a lot of guitar instead of sports that summer. Which in retrospect was a very good thing. We’ve been lifelong pals ever since. And I learned that a lot of girls were more into guitar guys than sports guys. Win, win.

Ray Parker Junior has a similar story, knocked off his bicycle as a young boy which broke his leg, his father brought him instruments to learn to play which set up his career.

Vacumatic

Testy
We were always taught to try avoiding driving on flat tires. Bad for the rim. Run flat tires clearly go against that advice.
I think that there is a lubricant inside the tire to reduce heat build up after a puncture and also the sidewalls are really stiff, so stiff that when I tried to change channels on the radio my finger was wobbling around mid air, even on smooth roads.

eta

in fairness, the car had sports suspension as standard which was a mistake.

Last edited:

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I think that there is a lubricant inside the tire to reduce heat build up after a puncture and also the sidewalls are really stiff, so stiff that when I tried to change channels on the radio my finger was wobbling around mid air, even on smooth roads.

eta

in fairness, the car had sports suspension as standard which was a mistake.
I second that. A Z4 with run flats results in spinal compression. After a year of driving withbthe run flats I was an inch shorter.:eek:

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
We were always taught to try avoiding driving on flat tires. Bad for the rim. Run flat tires clearly go against that advice.
Wait, there's such a thing as tires that are designed to still run, even with a puncture? Is that what "run flat" tires are?
What a bleedin' stupid idea.
"one careful elderly lady driver that only drove it round the corner to church at Easter" comes to mind.

Vacumatic

Testy
I am no expert but I think the reasoning behind having run flat tyres is that if you have a puncture then you don't need to stop and change a wheel you can keep going at a reduced speed to have the tyre replaced. From memory, they cannot be repaired.

I wouldn't buy another car with run flats, I would much prefer a full size spare wheel and proper tyre and a jack. I looked at buying a new car a few years ago and many had no spare wheel at all, no jack or wheel brace, just a can of sealant foam.

Having said that I had an Isuzu Trooper in the 90s, when that car had a puncture the weight of the wheel was a shocker, offering it up to the hub and lining up the holes and studs would need the strength of Popeye.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
In Canada run flat tyres are about twice the price of a comparable non-run flat, ie regular, tyre. Importantly, in many instances they can’t be repaired because of the location of the puncture; however, many tyre shops won’t repair them regardless of the location of the puncture. As well, often you have to replace the tyre on the other side because of the wear. But if you own and can afford to maintain say a Porche, this would be small change. One of my friends and his wife both own Porches and it costs them CAN$3,500/£2,000 for a basic maintenance service and oil change for each.

Last edited:

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
My wife’s Audi Q5 comes with a “space-saver” spare tyre. In other words the tyre isn’t inflated and comes with a small lighter plug in pump to inflate it… just what I want to do at the side of a major road in the middle of the night when the thermometer reads -30*C…but we’re members of the Canadian AA just for such eventualities.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I second that. A Z4 with run flats results in spinal compression. After a year of driving withbthe run flats I was an inch shorter.:eek:
Just to be clear, I’m joking about losing an inch, just some hyperbole. But when the run-flats are combined with the high-performance sport suspension of the Z4, your rear end and spine do take a pounding.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Our Dyson upright vac just gave up the ghost this morning. The motor is caput and can’t be replaced or repaired because it’s more than 12 years old. Wife has purchased a new one from Dyson. I’d prefer a Henry Hoover, but can’t get them in Canada, but more importantly my wife doesn’t like them.:mad: She is a Dyson fan all the way: stick vac, humidifier, heater and fan in addition to the upright vac.

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
I am no expert but I think the reasoning behind having run flat tyres is that if you have a puncture then you don't need to stop and change a wheel you can keep going at a reduced speed to have the tyre replaced. From memory, they cannot be repaired.

I wouldn't buy another car with run flats, I would much prefer a full size spare wheel and proper tyre and a jack. I looked at buying a new car a few years ago and many had no spare wheel at all, no jack or wheel brace, just a can of sealant foam.

Having said that I had an Isuzu Trooper in the 90s, when that car had a puncture the weight of the wheel was a shocker, offering it up to the hub and lining up the holes and studs would need the strength of Popeye.
Ah, I see.