New Mühle stainless steel razor 'Rocca'

Randomangle

Über Bum
Had my second shave with it tonight, it's a great performer. I purchased a week or so ago from executive shaving, great service. The razor is so nice and we'll balanced and surprisingly no issues with flow through.

Having said that I will be moving on, it's mainly due to my Timeless Titanium, it just doesn't get better than that no matter the situation.

So if someone does want to wait until BST are back up, I'll give someone as excellent deal. Genuinely think that apart from when I pick up a vintage adjustable, I'll be a one razor guy.
How grippy is the grip?

Progress_user

Forum GOD!
Question for the R95 (birch handle) owners -

How is the birch holding on with the residues of the soaps?
Also, do you apply any kind of treatment on it to preserve the colors and the condition?

Many thanks gents!

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
After years of owning this beautiful razor I can finally enjoy a good shave with the v4 head, I'm glad I didn't sell it because I see this razor becoming one of my favorites. I wouldn't say this razor is for everybody, for people that prefer mild razors like Muhle R89 or Mercur 34C they would find the Rocca too aggressive, between the R89 and R41 I'd say the Rocca is closer to the R41 which suits me fine cause the R41 is one of my favorite razor.

Randomangle

Über Bum
After years of owning this beautiful razor I can finally enjoy a good shave with the v4 head, I'm glad I didn't sell it because I see this razor becoming one of my favorites. I wouldn't say this razor is for everybody, for people that prefer mild razors like Muhle R89 or Mercur 34C they would find the Rocca too aggressive, between the R89 and R41 I'd say the Rocca is closer to the R41 which suits me fine cause the R41 is one of my favorite razor.
So it would compliment my mild AS-D2 for when I fancied a more aggressive shave ... The finish is matt and not shiny ... It looks fantastic ... I need cheering up ... Looks like another purchase (maybe). :surrender:

Dr Watson

James
Having owned all previous incarnations of the Rocca I thought I ought to give this v4 a go so I went ahead and bought jphelan81's :D

To recap my previous experience:

V1 - Nice smooth shaver, more efficient than expected.
V2 - Rough as hell, one of the worst DE razors I've used.
V3 - Replacement head sent by Muehle UK, unfortunately no better than the v2, awful shave.

This V4 is a different kettle of fish! You can tell as soon as you inspect the head it's built to much tighter tolerances, no daylight visible at all where the blade clamps, no machining marks, perfect. It's still nicely efficient, BBS in 2 passes but sooo smooth with it.

Very happy to report Muehle have finally sorted the Rocca :highfive:

PS. the R94 all stainless handle is much nicer than the black one's I used previously, maybe slightly heavier? Feels more solid, looks great and wont show soap scum build up like the others.

Last edited:

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Having owned all previous incarnations of the Rocca I thought I ought to give this v4 a go so I went ahead and bought jphelan81's :D

To recap my previous experience:

V1 - Nice smooth shaver, more efficient than expected.
V2 - Rough as hell, one of the worst DE razors I've used.
V3 - Replacement head sent by Muehle UK, unfortunatley no better than the v2, awful shave.

This V4 is a different kettle of fish! You can tell as soon as you inspect the head it's built to much tighter tolerances, no daylight visible at all where the blade clamps, no machining marks, perfect. It's still nicely efficient, BBS in 2 passes but sooo smooth with it.

Very happy to report Muehle have finally sorted the Rocca :highfive:

PS. the R94 all stainless handle is much nicer than the black one's I used previously, maybe slightly heavier? Feels more solid, looks great and wont show soap scum build up like the others.
They got there in the end! very happy with my V4 and found it a better shaver than the Blackbird...

Rasorium

Legendary Member
I thought my Rocca was a V3 but I’ve just found out that I have a V4 (CNC machined). I’m very happy with the shave even if I find the handle and head a bit chunky.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
I'm enjoying my Rocca R96 very much, I'm wondering if I should get the R95 or R94 :confused:

Anyway, I couldn't find information about the blade gap of these razors anywhere so I decided to measure it. I started by measuring a couple of razors which blade gap I know, namely RR Game Changer 0.84mm and ATT R2 0.58mm.

I measured the GC blade gap to be 0.85mm and the ATT 0.58mm ....I'm happy with that.

I measure the Muhle Rocca's blade gap to be 0.80mm, plate v4

I should have measured the R41 ..... for another time.

I used a feeler gauge to do the measuring.

Steve

Boomer Member
I got the R94 and I couldn't be happier! It's one of my top razors, and I wouldn't part with it under any condition.

(Except I did). I sold it to a young Austrian -- his father is a customs official, his mother is a school teacher. The young man is a decorated army veteran, and dabbles in painting.

Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
I had a Birch R89 and it did shave close, a little too much for me so I sold it on. Gap isn't the problem for me, it's exposure that causes all the problems same as the Rex.

Dr Watson

James
Surprised how well the R94 tames rough blades. I absolutely detest German Wilkinson Swords with a passion but decided to try one in the Muhle this morning as it's been giving me smooth shaves with other blades I wouldn't usually bother with... Low and behold it gave a nice BBS shave, a little scrapey in places but nothing like as bad as I usually experience with these blades.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
I have the R96 with the black handle and I like its looks, I find that it looks very classy. The black area is also metal and the pattern on the metal seems to be the same as in the R94.

I still can't make up my mind between the R94 and R95 if I decide to go for another one.....

The only one I don't like at all is the all black Rocca, I just don't like razors all in black

I did consider a matching brush but I don't think they are good value for money, the razors are in my opinion.