Minimizing

D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Of course I'm minimizing. I'm under 80 soaps/creams now.

I keep things as low as possible.

12 brushes
11 razors
I don't know how many aftershaves

I am now a collector not a wet shaver.
 

razorhead63

Forum GOD!
I just need to say that my 1200 blades wasn’t due to a gradual increase in buying. I’ve stocked up purposely just in case there’s a blade apocalypse.... I’ve no desire to return to cartridge or disposable razors if that happens.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Been there, done that, bought the T, Shirt and put that on BST as well. I think a lot of us get there. I did and became a terminal bore about it but ultimately I missed buying stuff. I know it's crap when you see 30 or more tubs of soap, which let's face it, you are never going to get through and you are sick of looking at them but the alternative is you just get bored with the same old stuff. Sometimes you just gotta sell off what you can and wait until something takes your fancy once more, be it Razors, Brushes, or any other paraphanalia we tend to enjoy.
I've realised Shaving and buying stuff is ultimately good fun. You can be doing a lot worse than having too many soaps.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I probably could minimise, at one point I was down to only using my AS-D2 and PILS, but then I recently rediscovered my GC .84. I haven't stopped buying stuff but I have slowed right down, I’ll still buy if it’s something I really want but the bar for me really wanting it is now higher and as far as soaps go I’m mostly just replacing ones that I use up.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Been minimising for years. Last 3 years I've probably only bought 8 shaving related items. This year one. It becomes apparent that removal of stubble can be enjoyable with few products, as much as it is enjoyable with many in my case.
Selling is another issue, I can't bring myself to sell shaving gear I own. Probably because I have no necessity to do so as yet and would like to pass items over to future generations. Looking into the future I also think badger brushes and certain others may become as rare as ivory.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Been minimising for years. Last 3 years I've probably only bought 8 shaving related items. This year one. It becomes apparent that removal of stubble can be enjoyable with few products, as much as it is enjoyable with many in my case.
Selling is another issue, I can't bring myself to sell shaving gear I own. Probably because I have no necessity to do so as yet and would like to pass items over to future generations. Looking into the future I also think badger brushes and certain others may become as rare as ivory.
And possibly as toxic to own too Nishy.
 

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I've never gone big on buying brushes and think my soap collection is reasonable, it's 1 in-1 out now. I have collected a bunch of razors, mostly vintage Gillettes over the past few years that I should really cut down on, especially as my favourite 6 are all modern razors. I should give in and sell/PIF them, first step is to remove them from the bathroom.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Minimizing. Best topic in the hobby.

Name me one wet shaver with 50-100 soaps in his den that is happy with them. If he says yes he loves to tell a lie. It’s just a hoarding problem.
I certainly wouldn't want that volume, I've got 6, I'd probably go to 10 and then as one is used replaced. I think 10 gives enough if a choice not to be bored.
 

vtmax

Forum GOD!
I certainly wouldn't want that volume, I've got 6, I'd probably go to 10 and then as one is used replaced. I think 10 gives enough if a choice not to be bored.
That’s a manageable number.

The amount of guys who have that large stash is shocking mostly due to forum membership. Over the years it’s the number one complaint I’ve noticed and a definite stress point...’how did I let this get out of control.’
 
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Minimizing. Best topic in the hobby.

Name me one wet shaver with 50-100 soaps in his den that is happy with them. If he says yes he loves to tell a lie. It’s just a hoarding problem.
So true. I only like 10 soaps from all of them and that's it.
With razors it's different as well with brushes.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
And possibly as toxic to own too Nishy.
Yh I definitely don't like the way the badgers are treated in most cases. I watched a video of one group of badgers who come to an individual for food (periodically) and whilst eating he/she humanely (from what I can see) shaves the badger. Not sure if this becomes a disadvantage to the badgers later but the process is definitely less horrifying to obtain the hair.
I honestly don't even know if plastic in synthetic brushes could have an adverse effect on the environment or our skin? With heat from water etc or bleaching from the sun (e.g. water bottles and toxicity) nothing is perfect is suppose.
 

gwsmallwood

Legendary Member
I have a system(regarding soaps) 1 out 4 in, think it needs a bit of tweaking tbh😜👍
I think i'm using that system as well lol
I'm considering one of these exchanges myself. I'm up to about 25 soaps. I was planning to use things up untill I got down to around 15. There are 6 from a single vendor that I said would always be in my den, and I'm out of 4 of them and nearly out of the 5th. I'll probably break down and replace them after Christmas.

I've been trying to pare down my razors a bit. I think I have 17, but only half that get used. I just pulled the others out to rotate through them and decide if they stay or not. I've already found 1 I'll be getting rid of, and there are 3 others I suspect will follow.
 
Top