Linen strop

I use palm strop during the hone of the razor fails HHT. Most of the time after a palm strop the razor passes HHT.
Same here. After I hone a razor, I give it a few laps on nylon (no more then 12) to knock off any burrs, then do about 40 laps on leather, then finish off with about 10 laps on the palm of my hand. I just bought a cotton strop and I've been using that to clean/dry razors after wiping the razor down. Then I proceed to nylon and then leather. I want to get myself a flax linen strop, I've heard a lot of good things about them, but I'll be careful, per your comments.

Last edited:

JJ Shaves

I need to make a small digression here, is jeans considered as cotton?
That would be denim, if they are the “workers jeans” like Levi’s 501. “Jean” is the cut and style, denim is the material most jeans are made from. The strop I use after my finishing stone is cappuccino coloured bull denim use to make chino’s. The strop I use after progressive hone (before finishing) is made out of an old pair of blue denim jeans, so it can be washed easily.
I also have sail canvass strops too, which is untreated and quite heavy. Going heavier is the vintage hose strop, which I only use on a wedge or quarter hollow after progressive hone, it take cinch’s out of extra hollow razors!
I am good friends with Robert Gallacher and when he gets a new strop he sends my one to test, asses and review, I have twenty-three (I think) strops in my shave cave, from old jeans up to shell cordovan, with brass furniture, a couple kangaroo, a few horse, British leather in different grades, Italian leather in different grades and I’m sure others too.

Steve56

Forum GOD!
Personally I shudder when people mention linen strops, linen is extremely agressive and when people use it after every shave to dry the razor it’s like doing a burnout in the family saloon every time you do the school run. Linen should only be used when fifty laps on leather before you shave does not bring the edge up to standard. Then 25 laps linen and 100 laps leather should be used to refresh the edge. You’ll then get two thirds of your shaves again.

so if you get thirty shaves from hone to not a comfortable edge using just leather, use linen to get and other twenty. Use linen/leather again when the edge needs is after around fifteen shaves, again after ten, then send it for a hone. So that gives you 75 shaves to an edge. I get around fifty shaves before needing linen, giving me 100-125 shaves to an edge between hones.
Interesting comments. When I did the Sub Cero edge longevity test, I did the linen as JJ describes, after the first 20-30 shaves, then a bit about every 10-15 shaves as the edge aged.

But this time, although I am doing about the same amount of linen, I’ve been doing much smaller amounts every shave to see if there’s a difference, 5-6 passes after each shave. I’m at shave 46 and the edge is holding up exceptionally well, so this scheme certainly is not hurting the edge longevity that I can tell. Of course the interesting part is after 60 shaves or so, almost any good quality razor can reach 60 on just fabric/leather.

As far as drying goes, if you don’t use fabric, a suede strop will do very well, both Kanoyama and Tony Miller make them I suppose a newspaper strop would dry the edge well too, but I have not tried it.

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I too have a good number of strops, in differently tanned leathers. From Neil Miller (RIP), Tony Miller, Kanayama, Scrupleworks, etc. They all have natural linen as a second component. The K was changed out to natural linen.
Personally, I would never strop on leather before linen first. But then, coticule edges perform best after linen. That said, I use it after all stones. BTW, I've also got a cotton bearing paper strop from Israel that works well, but, IMHO, denim is one of the best. Particularly with my firm thigh under it for a bit of support.

But, whatever works for each one of us..