Learning to shave with the Feather Artist Club

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Another enjoyable shave with the Feather Artist Club SS.

The best blade for me for sure is the Schick Proline, followed by the Feather Pro corked, as for the Feather Super Pro I don't think I can make it work for me, not at the level it needs to be to compite with the other 2, I've tried corking, stropping but it still feels harsher than the other two.

I'm glad to have sorted all this razor blade combination.

I gambled on the Feather Super Pro and bought 5 cartridges.... nevermind, I can still use them with the General SE razor which I use once a week so I'm pretty much sorted for life as far as blades is concerned :)

Schick Proline blades seem to be hard to source ATM. This is an opportunity for 2 or 3 members getting together and buying a box of 10 cartridges.

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
Another enjoyable shave with the Feather Artist Club SS.

The best blade for me for sure is the Schick Proline, followed by the Feather Pro corked, as for the Feather Super Pro I don't think I can make it work for me, not at the level it needs to be to compite with the other 2, I've tried corking, stropping but it still feels harsher than the other two.

I'm glad to have sorted all this razor blade combination.

I gambled on the Feather Super Pro and bought 5 cartridges.... nevermind, I can still use them with the General SE razor which I use once a week so I'm pretty much sorted for life as far as blades is concerned :)

Schick Proline blades seem to be hard to source ATM. This is an opportunity for 2 or 3 members getting together and buying a box of 10 cartridges.
The Schick Proline is by far my favourite blade too, sharp and smooth. I've also noticed that they are getting hard to come by in the UK and would be interested in taking part in a bulk purchase.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
The Schick Proline is by far my favourite blade too, sharp and smooth. I've also noticed that they are getting hard to come by in the UK and would be interested in taking part in a bulk purchase.
The ebay seller that Paul bought from has them for US$136.00 for a box of 10 including postage but there might be import charges on top.

A split between more members would interest me, I already have 89 new blades so I'm not after too many.... so lets say I'm happy to take 20%, 25%.... if you wanted to take 75% or 80% then we can go ahead now :)

We could create a PayPal pot to pay for them.

If there are other charges to pay for, then members will have to pay their share according to their stake.

As for the final distribution, I suggest that the member who does the buying will also post them to the rest of the members....and for the inconvenience he doesn't have to contribute towards postage, not that he has to.:wink:

I decided to put the above text in its own thread

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
The ebay seller that Paul bought from has them for US$136.00 for a box of 10 including postage but there might be import charges on top.

A split between more members would interest me, I already have 89 new blades so I'm not after too many.... so lets say I'm happy to take 20%, 25%.... if you wanted to take 75% or 80% then we can go ahead now :)

We could create a PayPal pot to pay for them.

If there are other charges to pay for, then members will have to pay their share according to their stake.

As for the final distribution, I suggest that the member who does the buying will also post them to the rest of the members....and for the inconvenience he doesn't have to contribute towards postage, not that he has to.:wink:

I decided to put the above text in its own thread

Sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps leave it for a week to see if any other members decide to jump onboard. I'm currently on furlough at the moment and I'm expecting to find out when or if I return to work by the end of this month so it's probably prudent for me to hang fire until I know what's happening work wise as I also have a year's worth of blades as backup.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps leave it for a week to see if any other members decide to jump onboard. I'm currently on furlough at the moment and I'm expecting to find out when or if I return to work by the end of this month so it's probably prudent for me to hang fire until I know what's happening work wise as I also have a year's worth of blades as backup.
Absolutely, there's no rush.

wintoid

Out of control
Day 87 - Feather Artist Club SS with Feather Super (7)

It's been a couple of weeks since I used the FAC. I figured I like the Super blade, and it should be bedded in with 7 shaves on it already in my SE. The first two passes were fine, WTG and XTG. The final pass ATG was a bit rough-feeling. Don't know if that was the blade deteriorating, or my technique being rusty after a couple of weeks off.

Still not a bad shave, but nothing to write home about.

wintoid

Out of control
Day 89 - Feather Artist Club DX with Kai Protouch MG guarded blade (2)

Even nicer than Sunday's shave. I think the DX is the favoured razor with this blade. I don't usually notice much difference, but I'm starting to feel like the SS would be the one to use with Supers and the DX for the guarded Kais.

wintoid

Out of control
Day 90 - Feather Artist Club DX with Schick Proline blade (1)

Still curious about why people like the Prolines so much, I decided to spend my Saturday shave playing with the Schick. I kept it shallow and the shave was fine, but not as close as I could get with the Kai guarded blades. I would be braver with the Kai, of course, so it's not really fair.

Three passes and no cuts. It's OK, but I don't get the rave reviews. Blades are always YMMV anyway.

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
Back on the Artist Club today after using my DE for 2 or 3 weeks to mix things up. I'm trying to use up my Feather Pro's which I bought at the same time as the AC. I palm stropped it to take out any roughness before using and had a great shave to be honest, 3 passes, no weepers, absolute BBS. The Pro still doesn't feel as smooth as the Schick but I'm quite happy to use them until they are finished. They do get noticeably smoother after about 3 shaves. Glad to get back to the Artist Club, it does give me the closest, most comfortable shave.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Day 90 - Feather Artist Club DX with Schick Proline blade (1)

Still curious about why people like the Prolines so much, I decided to spend my Saturday shave playing with the Schick. I kept it shallow and the shave was fine, but not as close as I could get with the Kai guarded blades. I would be braver with the Kai, of course, so it's not really fair.

Three passes and no cuts. It's OK, but I don't get the rave reviews. Blades are always YMMV anyway.
I’m the same: in every other AC razor the Proline is my favourite but I find them horrible in a SS. Supers are by far the best blade for me in that razor.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I’m the same: in every other AC razor the Proline is my favourite but I find them horrible in a SS. Supers are by far the best blade for me in that razor.
That’s interesting because I thought that the Super and Proline were the same dimensions - and I can’t think of anything other than a difference in size that would matter in the SS. I’ve never used the SS but am aware that the edge is rounded more than the DX so do you have any insight as to what is making the difference? I much prefer Prolines to Pros whether in SE razors or Feather AC types.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Rob - I've just measured some and 4x Prolines = 8.03-8.04mm. 3x Supers = 8.25-8.26mm and 2x Pro = 7.99-8.00mm

My subjective impression in a SS was that the Pro and Proline required a steeper angle when cutting compared to the Super, which is perfectly logically with the comparable widths. On the other hand it might just be preconceived bias allowing me to use the shallower angle with the Super.

In use I found the Proline 'too' sharp, which again might have been down to the angle being too steep to be comfortable. My pet theory is that the bulbous, rounded edge of the SS is actually a hindrance to me in that it forces, or encourages, me to use a steeper than ideal angle and the extra sharpness of the Proline is uncomfortably obvious at that angle. Maybe the DX would allow me to reduce the angle and change my preference.

However, my hypothesis isn't supported by Simon @wintoid because he prefers the Super in both the SS and the DX!

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Rob - I've just measured some and 4x Prolines = 8.03-8.04mm. 3x Supers = 8.25-8.26mm and 2x Pro = 7.99-8.00mm

My subjective impression in a SS was that the Pro and Proline required a steeper angle when cutting compared to the Super, which is perfectly logically with the comparable widths. On the other hand it might just be preconceived bias allowing me to use the shallower angle with the Super.

In use I found the Proline 'too' sharp, which again might have been down to the angle being too steep to be comfortable. My pet theory is that the bulbous, rounded edge of the SS is actually a hindrance to me in that it forces, or encourages, me to use a steeper than ideal angle and the extra sharpness of the Proline is uncomfortably obvious at that angle. Maybe the DX would allow me to reduce the angle and change my preference.

However, my hypothesis isn't supported by Simon @wintoid because he prefers the Super in both the SS and the DX!
Of course - I’m getting mixed up between the Feather Pro and the Pro Super again. I knew that the Super was a wider blade than the Proline so it now makes sense that you can tell the difference In the SS.