It's a sad state of affairs

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I look all the time but nothing gets the juices flowing anymore. I never would have thought it.

Well Wayne, I could put on my green, white and orange man-kini and sing Danny Boy to you! If that doesn't get you juices flowing, You could always buy my loyalty :):laugh::laugh:
 
Hi Jamie, I did mate. I bought a couple of nice razors from @Billyfergie who honed them for me. I also bought a naniwa 12K stone and made my own strop. I really enjoyed the first pass, hated the second with a vengance. The 2nd pass bloody terrified me. All that stropping and with the edge being so easy to roll due to poor technique I lost any semblance of enthusiasm for SR shaving pretty quickly so I sold up. I am though seriously thinking of buying another and giving it another go.
Give it another go @Wayne. Shave on the edge...:D
 

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Wayne,
If you could describe "Yorkshire" in a fragrance, why not make your own soap with that scent :). I have never been there but was raised on watching "the last of the summer wine" Aye by gum, and would love to now and try that soap/scent :okay:
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
You were once the adventurous member and happy to try anything. You must really be happy with current setup or sober. If sobriety is the issue, try copious amounts of alcohol - then go on-line. Several "must have" offers appear - often in double.

If happy with current setup, support your local bin man then buy some of "new best thing".

Personal opinion, I see more soap makers "retire" than brush or razor artisans. Check my new BST items in the next few days.
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
There have been several threads like this now and couldn’t really be arsed to reply
Personally I think there is or could be a multitude of reasons.
The forum itself is in a state of flux at the mo (only IMHO!) I get a strange vibe but that could just be me..
Razors, it’s gone mad. When I started ATT and Ikon were the brands everyone spoke about mainly, Wolfmans were actually attainable, you just had to email him (he answered!) and wait six months, I did and got one at the pre increase price, which has increased again..
Now everyone and his dog are in it.
Some for a quick buck. Some for the long haul which is admirable but still adds to the situation because they want to keep sales/income up so they keep ‘re-inventing’.
Both of these lead to where razors have a two week lifespan till the next latest thing comes along which means unless you decide really quickly you’ll struggle to sell.
Now if you’re a collector with large disposable income, superb!
But all the above means newbies don’t buy and are probably totally bamboozled.
Not to mention that apart from Wolfman, high end was £100-150. That figure is still very expensive to most but is far from the high end now.
We have a proliferation of brush makers too now but that’s another story. Don’t give a s*** how nice the handle is, it’s all about the knot.
There, i’ve finally mumbled on after debating it for a long time..
 

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Razors, it’s gone mad. Some for a quick buck. Some for the long haul which is admirable but still adds to the situation because they want to keep sales/income up so they keep ‘re-inventing’. Not to mention that apart from Wolfman, high end was £100-150. That figure is still very expensive to most but is far from the high end now.
I think razors are in a really good place if you like very efficient DEs. This has been the one really good thing to happen recently. We now have a number of sub-£100 heads and even whole razors
- R41
- Karve OC plates E+F
- Raxorock GC OC .84
- Razorock Jaws
- Blackland Dart
- Fatip OC
- ATT H2 OC (head only, returns preferred)

I think we're actually in a golden age of very efficient heads. Never had this kind of choice before
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I think after you have been at this sport a while, the coin drops and you realize that if you can't get a good comfortable shave from a Gillette tech, stick of Arko and an inexpensive boar brush the problem is not the gear but user. After spending substantial amounts on gear the end result is not really hugely different than with the gear mentioned, at least not as much as the cash spent might indicate. Gear does not trump technique but nice gear does enhance the experience in other ways.

Bob
 

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I think after you have been at this sport a while, the coin drops and you realize that if you can't get a good comfortable shave from a Gillette tech, stick of Arko and an inexpensive boar brush the problem is not the gear but user.
Thank Goodness I haven't got that far!!!!
 
Top