It's a sad state of affairs

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I think after you have been at this sport a while, the coin drops and you realize that if you can't get a good comfortable shave from a Gillette tech, stick of Arko and an inexpensive boar brush the problem is not the gear but user. After spending substantial amounts on gear the end result is not really hugely different than with the gear mentioned, at least not as much as the cash spent might indicate. Gear does not trump technique but nice gear does enhance the experience in other ways.

Bob
Boar is your choice, luxurious badger is mine
I had one good shave from a Tech, if I need to do four passes with touch ups i’ll go back to cartridges
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Boar is your choice, luxurious badger is mine
I had one good shave from a Tech, if I need to do four passes with touch ups i’ll go back to cartridges
The type of brush you use is covered under "nice gear does enhance the experience in other ways." if you want to spend more. I use any type of knot except horse but realize I get as good a lather with boar as I do with a badger or synthetic. Mind you synthetics are getting pretty inexpensive these days but even the most inexpensive 2 band badger is still more costly.

Yea, the Tech really makes you find and keep the right angle or the shave is no so good. There are plenty of other DEs that will work well and are as inexpensive to purchase. No real need to go the expensive route except for enhancing you shaving experience in other ways.

Nothing wrong with carts either if you like them and the results they give you.

Bob
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I think after you have been at this sport a while, the coin drops and you realize that if you can't get a good comfortable shave from a Gillette tech, stick of Arko and an inexpensive boar brush the problem is not the gear but user. After spending substantial amounts on gear the end result is not really hugely different than with the gear mentioned, at least not as much as the cash spent might indicate. Gear does not trump technique but nice gear does enhance the experience in other ways.

Bob
I agree, well apart from the Arko :sick:, but it is good to experiment.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I agree, well apart from the Arko :sick:, but it is good to experiment.
I understand. Lets just say any inexpensive soap or cream that works for you. I only used Arko as an example of the inexpensive class of which there are many.

Bob
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I understand. Lets just say any inexpensive soap or cream that works for you. I only used Arko as an example of the inexpensive class of which there are many.

Bob
I know. I just can't get past the smell of Arko but regularly shave with a vintage razor, budget soap (Palmolive, Vitos, Salter etc) and a boar brush.
 
Top