Is lather good or bad irrespective of razor?

Belfont

Forum GOD!
with a cartridge razor, I prefer a light lather, a good glide but a big cushion is not necessary
and rather vegan soap
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
For the first six months or so of wet shaving, I thought I was doing something wrong if I didn't have Nishy's ice cream cone of whipped shaving lather. The guy could produce enough lather in 30 seconds for an 8-pass shave.
Still can :wink:
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
I will change to a milder razor if I feel my lathering effort was "not the best."
Slick, good protection and great shave belong in the same sentence.
 

Julman

Forum GOD!
I think slickness in a lather has a great deal to do with having the right amount of water in the lather. I find that a dryer lather will make a sharp straight razor feel/act like it is dull.
Interesting. Yesterday I shaved for the first time with Mitchell's wool fat. Meant to be ever so slick. The lather was rather thick and it felt like I had put a lot of water. I used a straight razor. Is it me, my technique, the soap, the lunar cycle? The shaved skin was absolutely dry.
No residual slickness whatsoever. And, as you say, it felt as if the razor was struggling. I certainly was.
Result? A cut and a razor bump (for these I blame my bad technique). Not exactly a pleasant experience.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Interesting. Yesterday I shaved for the first time with Mitchell's wool fat. Meant to be ever so slick. The lather was rather thick and it felt like I had put a lot of water. I used a straight razor. Is it me, my technique, the soap, the lunar cycle? The shaved skin was absolutely dry.
No residual slickness whatsoever. And, as you say, it felt as if the razor was struggling. I certainly was.
Result? A cut and a razor bump (for these I blame my bad technique). Not exactly a pleasant experience.
I have admit that I don't get on well with MWF and lots of others do not also. They say MWF wants a lot of water so possibly use even more water next time you try it. When I have gotten the lather right it was a very good shave. In my case I guess MWF does not respond well to the way I like to load the brush and make a lather. I could not be bothered to change the way I load and make lather to suit MWF as there are many other excellent soaps and creams that do respond well to the way I do things. I doubt I will buy another puck of MWF.

Bob
 

fly3k

Forum GOD!
I think you’ll get away with a lower quality soap / lather with a milder razor. For example, when I use my 34c I can use a less protective soap and not feel a difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Interesting. Yesterday I shaved for the first time with Mitchell's wool fat. Meant to be ever so slick. The lather was rather thick and it felt like I had put a lot of water. I used a straight razor. Is it me, my technique, the soap, the lunar cycle? The shaved skin was absolutely dry.
No residual slickness whatsoever. And, as you say, it felt as if the razor was struggling. I certainly was.
Result? A cut and a razor bump (for these I blame my bad technique). Not exactly a pleasant experience.
Sounds like not enough water. Start off lathering on the puck and move to face when the lather still has bubbles and isn't just a paste

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
 

Dr Watson

James
Sounds like not enough water. Start off lathering on the puck and move to face when the lather still has bubbles and isn't just a paste

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
+1

I used it this morning and can picture it exactly as Julman described, which is about 90 seconds or so before its finished building and ready to shave with :happy:
 

Preacher

Über Member
I wonder how much new shavers look at the SOTD pictures and see the thick yoghurt type lather and think that is what they must aim for. It makes for great pics but not necessarily a great shave.
It took me a long time to figure that out and stop comparing my lather to "lather porn". I found that when my lather looks that good, it doesn't have enough water, is too thick, and dries fast. All of which results in a bad shave.
 

ajc347

Forum GOD!
I’m finding that I’m getting good results mixing a soap, cream and some glycerin (i.e. an uber lather) at the moment.

It gives me the best of both worlds in terms of cushion and slickness with a great post shave face feel.

I can see this as being the best way forward for me in the future.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Top