I have a question

Dr Watson

James
People slicing themselves up with DE shavettes is IMO, entirely operator error. I went in this order: Straights>Shavettes>Feather AC - Having learned with proper straights the other two were completely mindless and required no learning whatsoever, a minor change in angle of attack but otherwise exactly the same.

The Feathers are lovely things to use with their Japanese build quality but I found the shave no better than with a shavette which really do get a bad rap due to people "having a go" with no skill or technique. Watching a thousand Youtube guides is no substitute for muscle memory.
 
Last edited:

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
People slicing themselves up with DE shavettes is IMO, entirely operator error. I went in this order: Straights>Shavettes>Feather AC - Having learned with proper straights the other two were completely mindless and required no learning whatsoever, a minor change in angle of attack but otherwise exactly the same.

The Feathers are lovely things to use with their Japanese build quality but I found the shave no better than with a shavette which really do get a bad rap due to people "having a go" with no skill or technique. Watching a thousand Youtube guides is no substitute for muscle memory.
I have been thinking a lot about your post. I am seriously thinking of packing in my DE altogether. I am a veteran straight shaver but have the DE for the occasional foray - but really it's more about shaving with a disposable blade that is guaranteed fuss-free than anything else. Having never used a shavette of any kind, do you think it's worth springing for a Feather or is a Parker DE-style shavette comfortable enough too? I'm in two minds.
 
Last edited:

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
The Focus R28 is a half DE shavette which is really easy to use. The design offers protection from the blade corners. If I had to go 'walkabout' with minimal baggage.....that would be the razor for me. Easy to use and effective.
 
IMHO, there is no substitute for a properly honed straight razor. When I say honed, I mean by an expert, someone who knows what they're doing.
I guess a Shavette can help you practice the grip of course, but I personally found them to be a poor substitute . I also got way more cuts and nicks with a Shavette..even by a barber. Dreadful things.
Just my opinion..
Not knocking anyone who uses a Shavette of course, just my personal experience.
 

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
IMHO, there is no substitute for a properly honed straight razor. When I say honed, I mean by an expert, someone who knows what they're doing.
I guess a Shavette can help you practice the grip of course, but I personally found them to be a poor substitute . I also got way more cuts and nicks with a Shavette..even by a barber. Dreadful things.
Just my opinion..
Not knocking anyone who uses a Shavette of course, just my personal experience.
Well yeah, I agree with you completely. I already hone my own straights and can totally appreciate the craft and comfort that goes with shaving in this way. I might add a shavette when it is not practical to shave with a straight - such as when I am travelling. I am leaning towards a DE blade one as these blades are relatively easy to source at most travel destinations.

The Focus R28 is a half DE shavette which is really easy to use. The design offers protection from the blade corners. If I had to go 'walkabout' with minimal baggage.....that would be the razor for me. Easy to use and effective.
I didn't know this one. It looks brilliant. Thanks for the tip!
 

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Echoing @UKRob I think we should split the terminology - shavette is a dresser, a nape shaver, which uses full or half DE blades; something like the Feather AC should be considered more as a disposable straight. The purpose is different. Consider that culturally, the Japanese appear to have an affinity with shorter blades (see the Kamisori style straight razors), the Feather AC makes sense with its size. Yes, there are Japanese made Western style straight razors which are indeed of a similar size to Western straights, but you get my point.

Whenever shavettes get discussed, the tone usually shifts to how hateful a shave you get from the things. Well, to return to my point about purpose - these are for shaping, not shaving. Furthermore, I usually end up chiming in about Weck style razors, which were designed for full face shaving and re-purposed by the military (USN) as a large contract for medical prep. More contemporary, we see the same design under the Personna brand ... curiously, as shapers. I guess because nobody (well, me on occasion and a few other folks) uses them for full face shaving anymore.

A few years back, I reviewed a couple of razors from the East - one from Japan (Feather) and a clone from China (Vincent/Cloud) which use those blades that have a serrated appearance. These are indeed most definitely shaper blades - they're thinner than the Weck patent, but they do deliver a seriously good shave!


For folks who are interested in trying out the straight edge shave and steer towards shavettes (using a DE blade), do yourselves a favour and eBay a Weck Sextoblade and a pack of blades from Personna. Failing that, Personna make the razor and it can be had for a few quid. It's okay, but not a Weck.







^ these blades will fit a vintage Weck if you do get one of those.
 

Cheesepiece

Stickler
Weck is the way to go. Though I didn't find mine too easy to come by online and I think I ended up buying them from Paul on TSR's BST.
 

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Weck is the way to go. Though I didn't find mine too easy to come by online and I think I ended up buying them from Paul on TSR's BST.
You did! Full USN Medical kit with the sleeve as well.



There's a more rare "Bantam" out there, which I have in one catalogue as a 'Nurse's Razor'. Basically, the same ... just smaller. There are some nice Weck Sextoblades out there - black and ivory scales on the early ones and coloured lucite as well. I have a red transparent scaled set.
 
Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
You did! Full USN Medical kit with the sleeve as well.

There's a more rare "Bantam" out there, which I have in one catalogue as a 'Nurse's Razor'. Basically, the same ... just smaller. There are some nice Weck Sextoblades out there - black and ivory scales on the early ones and coloured lucite as well. I have a red transparent scaled set.
Looks like this could be a good opportunity to start a thread on the unusual razors - with photos of course. Just a thought Paul.
 

pjgh

Forum GOD!
We could @UKRob ... although aside from the ubiquitous Gillette Tech and the Every Ready 1912, the production volumes of literally all other razors is probably about the same. When you go down any rabbit hole, you find all sorts of weird and wonderful which never really rises to the surface of shaving forums - I'm thinking of things like:

Here, the Weck, various Wecks, the fact that Feather made a clone which was not an Artist Club style, the Miraki (proto Dovo), various name "shapers" once face shaving had fallen out of favour from Diane to Sandahl, Burmax even, then much more modern, the Orca ... etc

Some kind of Wikipedia (think, a modern 'Waits Compendium') could be fun.
 
Last edited:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
... having scratched a few names there, here's some reviews I did a few years back on TSR:

 

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Voila! The Weck:

 
Top