How have your preferences changed?

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have no idea how long I have been wet shaving now but my enthusiasm has not diminished in any way. I enjoy every single shave I have. I love this community. The forum is great. I ditched TSR and all the other forums and only use this one, it gives me all I need.
Shaving wise I know what I enjoy and do not restrict myself to any one type of product apart from blades. I only use Gillette Yellows, they work in all the razors I own. I do not enjoy Boar hair brushes in any guise.
I know I enjoy the buying, selling and trading aspect of the hobby, trying new things keeps the hobby fresh for me apart from soaps, all Artisans have got their formula down now and all have great performance, I can't see the point of trying new formulas and scents, they don't last and I always wear fragrance so see no point in buying more. I enjoy aggressive, medium and mild shaves and can get a shave out of anything, I don't know the future but I know I'm gonna enjoy it until I can't shave anymore.
 
Don't think my preferences have changed..but I certainly have a smaller collection of shaving stuff than I used to. Still a work in progress mind you. I am certainly buying shaving gear less regularly. But I still like a purchase now and again :laugh:
I have homed in on certain products as a staples of my shaving gear. One of Which is good old Witch Hazel. My skin is significantly better when using it post shave accompanied by a balm . Software tends to be mainly classics with one or two artisans thrown in.
 
D

Deleted member 476

Guest
Since switching to traditional DE wet shaving 5-6 years ago, the biggest change is I now shave 4 times a week, instead of 6. This largely due to relaxed societal rules and expectations when it comes to daily shaving, combined with a closer shave now with a DE razor, verses carts.
 

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
Think my preferences were changed mainly because of arthritis I’m getting in my fingers ,Big fan of straights but grip isn’t so good so moved into the de and se world ,Fortunately the sale of quite a few good straights has helped in the buying of other razors ,Brushes slowly seems to be moving from Badger to synths but all at 24 Mm plus ,I do like a bigger knot still ,As for soaps I’m still an old fashioned guy ,MWF,Tobs and the like ,Got the odd Artisan soap but still seem to fall back on the soaps I’ve always liked ,The balms I use Ive noticed I’m going to unscented as not to clash with my love of Bay Rums ,Aftershaves again I’m going back to the old stuff as well as Bay Rums It’s Stetson ,Denim ,Old spice ,Brut ,Nearly got my Rad under control just a Fatboy to buy at some point and I’m sorted ,OR AM I ???
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Been wet shaving for about 50 years with the odd foray into electric razors. Shaving was a daily chore until I took an interest in straight razors about 10 years ago now. That meant getting on to shave forums to learn how to do it and opened up a huge new world of soaps, brushes and different types of razors.

Learning to shave with a straight razor allowed me to finally shave well with a Gillette Fat Boy which is what I started on in the first place. Only now it is set at #9 and not at #4. So I guess my preference has changed in DEs to more aggressive/efficient types of razors.

Before I had only used boar brushes but have since tried badger, synthetics and one horse. Now I will happily use a good 2 band badger, synthetic but not horse. I also found I could have stayed with a boar brush and not missed too much.

I was always a face lather shaver but tried bowl/scuttle shaving along with pre shaves. I found that face lathering is still the way to go for me as all the other stuff did not enhance my shaves any. The only thing I have added to my post shave routine is the use of alum before an AS.

Tried many different soaps and creams and found that I do not have to have expensive soaps and creams to get a good lather and shave from. Things like the Palmolive shave cream, which I started on way back, still do the job nicely today.

Along the way shaving daily has changed from a changed from a chore to an enjoyable morning ritual that I look forward too.

Bob

The biggest change in preferences has been the switch to cold water shaving. It and improving my shaving technique by learning to use straight razors greatly reduced any irritation I was getting.
 

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Bit late to this party but having been a wet shaver for well over 40 years I have only been a TRUE ( DE / SE etc ) for the last dozen ish. Did have the odd try with electric but no thanks. Changes for me include getting to this site . Was at TSR ( idiot and overbearing mods ) and started with B & B ( who are not much better ). My forage into straights has waned. I do still have a couple and do still use now and again but I actually find it a chore. ( Kit available if You pm ).

The friendliness here and willingness to help each other out is bloody marvellous and has been paramount in my staying put. Where else do you get guys sending £250 razors through the post just so I can try it and see if I like it? ( Thanks Wayne ). My approaches have changed. My BIG lesson has been that high end razors are not all they purport to be. Less is often more when it comes to hardware. Software is an issue. An issue that I must get on top of. I have around 35 soaps / creams. Far too much. ( not as much as many of you I know ) I have around 12 go to's so why keep the rest? I love my 4th quarter 1959 fatboy but now realise it is NOT as efficient as the Rockwells. It is a keeper though as in A1 condition and stretches its gates now and again still. Blades are a change for me. Like many I have tried several. I now gravitate towards Polsilver No1 then Nacet No 2. Feather No 3. The rest ? I should sell them or PIF.

Another leaning / change for me is now towards adjustables. It just makes sense. The Model T is working for me. The 6S is also great. Slim, Progress and Parker are gathering dust a bit now though . ( offers accepted on the latter 2 ).

Shaving technique varies but I like to dabble with all brushes.. More often than not now I will grab a boar. Boars are for those that can handle and understand them. Unlike Wayne who is probably more suited to something fluffy and in girlie pink whilst pretending that the blackbird is not ripping his chin off. ( :wink: ). Creams or soaps? Who cares as long as they smell nice and are protective. Balms come and go but I still always start with proraso green, a habit that seems not to die with time. Love BARTS balms and his oil. Not sure I need them and , as somebody else said, a good swipe of decent alum goes a long way.

Waffling now so it is good bye from me and it is goodbye from....................... him. :notworthy:
 

Shaver X

Forum GOD!
I sometimes use an aftershave balm instead of a splash. Other than that, my shaving preferences have not changed in 12 years. The products I like best have changed as I tried different soaps, creams and blades, but not what I look for in a shave.
 

flip-68

Forum GOD!
like a lot of chaps here, the longer I do this the more simple my set up is becoming - I'm veering toward erasmic sticks (2 left in my stash) and arko - I no longer use a balm - just aloe vera and when my last 4 bottles of aftershave are used up I will stick to witch hazel, scented with either bayrum EO or one of my Edts. I would sell my razors but none of them are top end so I may as well keep them. It will still take a while to use up my stash of soap (mostly Wickhams) but I will enjoy that too. no longer buying razors or brushes - very rare I look anymore! I'm really enjoying my shaves these days
 

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
The only kit i’ve changed is my razor type. I’ve gone from DE to SE to cartridge and back again. For the last several years I’ve been using a cartridge (Mach 3 and Sensor) exclusively and have no urge to revisit DEs or SEs although I still have a few in my den. As for brushes, i’ve tried different sizes and different hair types. My size sweet spot, however, has not changed: no bigger than 24 mm with a loft to diameter ratio for badgers no less than 2:1. With regard to hair type badger has remained my favourite, although I’ve found three boars (Omega B&B Essential, Thater and SOC) that I like; horse does nothing for me and I have yet to find a synthetic that I like. As for soap vs creams, I’ve always used cream, but I have tried a few soaps. Similarly, I’ve always used an alcohol-based aftershave splash and I’ve yet to use a balm or witch hazel for more than a week before binning it.
 

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
When I first started DE shaving 5 or 6 years ago it saved me a fortune.

Body shop shaving cream (superseded by TOBS Grapefruit) and a 34C with Derby blades.

It now costs a fortune :D
 

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
What has changed for me is I don't feel the need to have the most aggressive razor on the market when a milder one that is effiicant will do the job just as well.
I also think that a 24mm brush is big enough when before I would go for 28 to 30 mm knots thinking bigger was better.
I am just learning that you don't need to spend a fortune on a soap when soaps like MWF and Salters solid soap ect are available for very little money, however that's not to say the likes of MdC are not good because they are but much better I'm not too sure about.
I've cut my razor collection down to 25 razors and now only have around 50 soaps, I fell right into the rabbit hole but I think I've found the way out, it's taken some years but the light is at the end of the tunnel........or it could be a train comming!!!! :) P. Edit.... I like SE razors more than DE razors but I still like to have a fair mixture of different types of razors at hand to keep things interesting. P.
 
Last edited:

Sabre

Forum GOD!
I started DE shaving in 1991, and since then I have enjoyed trying new razor types whether AC, injector, Gem, Durham Duplex or Weck. My only preference change is related to soaps, creams and brushes. I only use the small rotation of soaps and creams despite buying every commercial brand. I have avoided artisans, and despite snobbery fully embraced synthetic brushes.
 

Fidelis

Forum GOD!
Changing preferences, during my last four years in which I'm involved in this....well...

Went from shaving creams and soft soaps to hard soaps (mostly)
Went from milder to aggressive and to high aggressive razors (the ShaveCraft #104 Tech is certainly a favorite of mine)
Went from badgers and boar brushes (including such excellent brushes like those from Saponificio Varesino) to synths
Went from nearly no prep to the use of organic coconut oil plus pre-shave creams
Went from nearly no use of scents to the regular use of EdTs and EdPs (and enjoying them greatly)
Went from bowl lathering to face lathering
Went from being satisfied with a DFS to aim for BBS (what feels to me, quite a bit more satisfying)

And can say, I'm quite satisfied how it all went :D
 

D.Chris

Active Member
Calling all experienced wet shavers, how have your shaving preferences changed?

Personally my tastes have changed greatly and have now been wet shaving for approx 5 years.

Aggressive to milder razors.
Badger knots no larger than 26mm in width, no love for huge knots anymore. I also am enjoying boars and synthetics.
Regarding soaps, I used to prefer heavy cushion, now I prefer extra slip and a thinner layer of protection.
Balms have gone out the window, just a straight aftershave splash post shave.
I also exfoliate before shaving now.
My stubble has also become more grey, approx 60% is grey and the rate at which stubble re-grows is frightening. What uses to be 2/3 days (needing a shave) is now 24 hours or 48 at a push.
Well! My Preferences changes from the Cartage Razors to Electric Shavers to Safety Razor and then finally settling to Straight Razor as my daily driver, but I also tried others from time to time, brings old memory back :)
 
Top