How good is your nose to identity Scent notes?

Just about everything is made with aroma chemicals these days. I don’t feel guilty about having a “terrible” nose. If I made my own products I’d just make up random notes and then gas-light everyone into thinking I’m right and they’re wrong.

Shave soaps usually keep things simple, but fragrances are nuts. Some of those Fragrantica entries are an absolute laundry list, and many just reek of synthetics to me anyway.

We ordered a bottle of wine at dinner once, and the server went on to read the notes on the back of the bottle, including “toasted marshmallow”.
 

chazt

shave
Person with super Nose is like the Geeks who Taste and Award Medals for GREAT WINE at the Cali State Fair. Or the person with truly great palate who is able to decode flavors is a fine Hand rolled Cigar. No not me in any of the THREE EXAMPLES.
I thought you love a good cigar, yes? If you don’t smoke it for the flavor then why bother? They're not the most pleasant smelling thing going. Although I disagree with your choice of calling the wine judges “geeks,” I do appreciate your implied concept of not believing, trusting or caring about someone else’s opinion regarding flavor, scent or taste, be it in the mouth or elsewhere.
 

purerockfury

..........
not sure why to bring this up or why i didn't add part of this to my other reply...

i don't drink alcohol... a few reasons why... one of them is the smell of the alcohol that is very chemically smelling to me... 1 alcohol brand i was told i might like... the alcohol was most the smell & smelt similar to vehicle paint thinner/cleaner...

& non-scented things/wet shave gear... i can really smell the ingredients & for the most part they're not pleasant... so i avoid getting any...
 

Randy

Forum GOD!
not sure why to bring this up or why i didn't add part of this to my other reply...

i don't drink alcohol... a few reasons why... one of them is the smell of the alcohol that is very chemically smelling to me... 1 alcohol brand i was told i might like... the alcohol was most the smell & smelt similar to vehicle paint thinner/cleaner...

& non-scented things/wet shave gear... i can really smell the ingredients & for the most part they're not pleasant... so i avoid getting any...
I don't drink alcohol for the exact same reason. In addition, I can't even smell smoke of a cigar because I can't breath.
 
Top