Uncle Bertie
Forum GOD!
One comment:
F*ck Breitbart.
F*ck Breitbart.
I am guessing that public companies can decide when to take a write down or not take one for that matter. If that is the case then the devaluation can occur over a number of years and then be taken at an opportune time at a later date. There must be an off set to the benefit of the company taking a write down too. If we could run our household books like companies do we'd all be laughing.Public companies must declare valuations on a quarterly and annual basis. Notice that nothing approaching the tune of an $8 B write down occurred in previous quarters or years since P&G has owned Gillette.
Yes, there is not much that is bright about Breitbart.One comment:
F*ck Breitbart.
This is incorrect. CNBC reports that the $8 B write off was an impairment charge to the brand's goodwill valuation:I am guessing that public companies can decide when to take a write down or not take one for that matter. If that is the case then the devaluation can occur over a number of years and then be taken at an opportune time at a later date. There must be an off set to the benefit of the company taking a write down too. If we could run our household books like companies do we'd all be laughing.
Bob
en.wikipedia.org
Reporting asset impairment and the annual revaluation of goodwill became a legal requirement as of 1983. There were updates to how goodwill was supposed to be valued in 1995, 1999, and last updated in 2001.Len, I was reading an article that said that this is the first time P&G has written down Gillette's market value since acquisition in 1999. The article indicated that P&G feels the value of the company has declined by $8 billion since the company was acquired for $57 billion. If there is a requirement to revalue a company every year, it seems odd that the entire reduction in value occurred during the past year. It seems that the decline in value has been more gradual and has taken place since the acquisition. Was the valuation requirement recently put into law, say within the past two years? I just find it hard to believe that 14% of the company's value was wiped out in only one year. I guess it's certainly possible but I question that, just like I question everything that seems outsized.

I’ll drink to thatbuddy and stuff the bloody cartridge razors

But of course. Are we not all gentlemen here?I enjoyed reading this thread, especially the polite debate![]()