Michael_W
Senior Member
I saw this today at the theater for opening day matinee, and I was surprisingly moved by its themes of memory, history, loss and abandonment and the pain, anger, and yes, fear that comes from it, but also the bonds of friendship and family and learning that even though life may take us in different directions those bonds endure so long as we let them.
The story takes place in the Philippines in the 1980s and 1990s. Jo, a disruptive child, meets Raissa outside the principal's office after both girls are sent there for causing a stir in class over a mythological island from Filipino folklore. From there they develop a friendship that is challenged only by time itself as high school graduation begins to separate them.
Yes, it's for a different audience, but being engaged to a Filipina and one of my favorite historians having been a consultant on the film, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to see it on opening day. Go see it and let me know what you think. What films have you seen that touch on these subjects? I can name a few off the top of my head, including 'Ordinary People' and 'Good Will Hunting', for starters, but those don't deal in culture the way 'Forgotten Island' does.
The story takes place in the Philippines in the 1980s and 1990s. Jo, a disruptive child, meets Raissa outside the principal's office after both girls are sent there for causing a stir in class over a mythological island from Filipino folklore. From there they develop a friendship that is challenged only by time itself as high school graduation begins to separate them.
Yes, it's for a different audience, but being engaged to a Filipina and one of my favorite historians having been a consultant on the film, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to see it on opening day. Go see it and let me know what you think. What films have you seen that touch on these subjects? I can name a few off the top of my head, including 'Ordinary People' and 'Good Will Hunting', for starters, but those don't deal in culture the way 'Forgotten Island' does.