Final collection disposal?

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
As in, when the owner shuffles off their mortal coil. How can it be done? I am pretty sure that Mrs Plane would just put most of it in the bin but probably pass my better razors to a charity shop. Is what usually happens?

Another hobby I'm involved in (railway modelling) regularly has the issue of disposing of collections on the death of the owner. A lot of relatives will just contact a dealer, where they will likely not get the best possible price, or contact clubs, a lot of whom, know someone who can give a fair and honest assessment of the collection's worth and help with selling it on.

Given the value of some of our member's collections, is this something worth thinking about?

steve
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I suppose it's worth thinking about if what you own is especially valuable. But even then, whoever is handling the sale of the assets has to know what they are dealing with. If they don't, how are they to know and understand what the stuff is worth? We are talking about stuff that only us nut jobs can fully understand. So if you really care about how much they get for the stuff, sell it before you pass on. Or leave detailed records of what each piece is worth with proof or backup for it. This really is the same for any type of "special asset." Take real estate for instance. If your family is not fully literate in your real estate portfolio and doesn't understand the assets, they may just hire some appraiser to put a value on all of it and then sell it off. Not all appraisers are created equal. Some specialize in specific asset classes. And some assets have specific circumstances associated with them that create value that is not readily apparent unless you know about it. So, I don't think shaving collections are any different than any other special asset. You as the collector/owner needs to educate those you are leaving behind because only you have the lifetime of knowledge to know what the stuff is about. And some of that knowledge cannot be taught. Sometimes it's just better to monetize the stuff yourself so your family doesn't have to deal with the nightmare of handling the sale of stuff they know nothing about. In everyone's life there comes a time when we have to consider divesting ourselves of our life's work. Only you know when that time is.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I suppose it could be a problem. Most people do not have the time to slowly sell off estate items. It is more or less get rid of it one way or another. OTH, once you have popped your clogs it really doesn't matter what happens as you have had all the enjoyment you are going to get from these items.

Bob
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
It's a diffcult one. Most people over value their kit. What it is worth to you isn't what it is worth to others. Full retail price is not the same as used prices. Everyone wants a bargain and very few people will spend what the item is really worth so regardless of what you value your collection at believe me, it will not sell for what you paid unless you have really rare highly sought after pieces, such as a BBS-1, Wolfman, Toggle etc. If you do contact a dealer of some kind you will get even less as they have to take the risk of the stuff not selling, so they always offer ridiculously low prices. Nope, if you cannot sell when you are still able most likely your loved ones will be stuck with your expensive collection and probably give it away.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
My state pension doesn’t kick in until 2056. I’m hoping to get quite a few decades out of my life before they turn off the lights. If I do live to my ‘expected’ expiry date, it’s way too far off for me to predict what the state of my collection will be or whether there’ll even be a market for any of it.

If I die in the coming years, I would be dying young and realistically in tragic circumstances. Given life insurance policies and death-in-service will take care of my wife and baby’s financial needs, I’d want one or two pieces to be left to my son as an heirloom but I’d want others to benefit from the rest. I guess the ideal would be for it all to be put up to charity auction - hopefully hosted by ATG as I’d want you lot to be the beneficiaries - with the proceeds split between Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue and Mind.

I’d better write this down somewhere.
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
It's a diffcult one. Most people over value their kit. What it is worth to you isn't what it is worth to others. Full retail price is not the same as used prices. Everyone wants a bargain and very few people will spend what the item is really worth so regardless of what you value your collection at believe me, it will not sell for what you paid unless you have really rare highly sought after pieces, such as a BBS-1, Wolfman, Toggle etc. If you do contact a dealer of some kind you will get even less as they have to take the risk of the stuff not selling, so they always offer ridiculously low prices. Nope, if you cannot sell when you are still able most likely your loved ones will be stuck with your expensive collection and probably give it away.
Well, to say that what your kit is worth to you isn't worth to others is saying that everyone over values their gear. What about all those people who go onto the bay and check to see what the same items are selling for there, not listed, and apply those numbers to their own gear? I'd say that person has properly valued their stuff. Frankly, that's what I would do and do do when I'm considering selling something. Also, to say that you can't sell your stuff for what you paid and will always lose money isn't accurate either. I've paid some very small prices for some of my razors because I got a really good deal on them. If you know what things are worth when you buy them and you hold out for those bargains, you most likely will make money when you go to sell. My father used to generalize about pretty much everything. And because of that, I was able to provide him with pretty reliable hard data to prove him wrong every time. I'd say you are over generalizing here just a wee bit. And in spite of my little comment about my father, we did have a pretty good relationship. Don't generalize. It doesn't really help make your point. I will agree that since our heirs most likely aren't as insane about shaving as us nut jobs, they likely won't know enough about the stuff we leave behind. And the amount of time necessary to do the research and understand the value of the gear just isn't worth it to someone just looking to sell it to get rid of it. That's why I will likely provide them with everything they need to know about the value of the stuff, if I don't sell most of it myself before I go.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Well, to say that what your kit is worth to you isn't worth to others is saying that everyone over values their gear. What about all those people who go onto the bay and check to see what the same items are selling for there, not listed, and apply those numbers to their own gear? I'd say that person has properly valued their stuff. Frankly, that's what I would do and do do when I'm considering selling something. Also, to say that you can't sell your stuff for what you paid and will always lose money isn't accurate either. I've paid some very small prices for some of my razors because I got a really good deal on them. If you know what things are worth when you buy them and you hold out for those bargains, you most likely will make money when you go to sell. My father used to generalize about pretty much everything. And because of that, I was able to provide him with pretty reliable hard data to prove him wrong every time. I'd say you are over generalizing here just a wee bit. And in spite of my little comment about my father, we did have a pretty good relationship. Don't generalize. It doesn't really help make your point. I will agree that since our heirs most likely aren't as insane about shaving as us nut jobs, they likely won't know enough about the stuff we leave behind. And the amount of time necessary to do the research and understand the value of the gear just isn't worth it to someone just looking to sell it to get rid of it. That's why I will likely provide them with everything they need to know about the value of the stuff, if I don't sell most of it myself before I go.
I cannot be bothered go find someone else to argue with tonight.
 
Top