Feather and Kai shaves

bartje-p

Forum GOD!
Joining the party with my Feather SR. so far I have had 7 partial shaves with a Feather Light blade. Still feels very awkward, but it is improving. Cheeks and neck are going fine, with the grain. Chin and upper lip are still done with a safety razor. It certainly is a lot of fun, but I am still far from being as comfortable with the Feather as with any of my safety razors.

I will give the Light blade a few more turns before switching to either a guarde Kai or a Schick proline P, but probably the Kai first.

On the upper lip and chin I find the razor very rough, but that probably is 90% user error and perhaps the Light blade. I will master the big areas and downward strokes with right and left hands first, before venturing in more difficult areas 👍

This also made me realise even more what a joy and easy to use razor any of my DEs or ATT SE really are, to be able to whack it around my face without any worries!
 
Last edited:

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Joining the party with my Feather SR. so far I have had 7 partial shaves with a Feather Light blade. Still feels very awkward, but it is improving. Cheeks and neck are going fine, with the grain. Chin and upper lip are still done with a safety razor. It certainly is a lot of fun, but I am still far from being as comfortable with the Feather as with any of my safety razors.

I will give the Light blade a few more turns before switching to either a guarde Kai or a Schick proline P, but probably the Kai first.

On the upper lip and chin I find the razor very rough, but that probably is 90% user error and perhaps the Light blade. I will master the big areas and downward strokes with right and left hands first, before venturing in more difficult areas 👍

This also made me realise even more what a joy and easy to use razor any of my DEs or ATT SE really are, to be able to whack it around my face without any worries!
I encourage you to remove the blade and practice rolling the tang with your fingers on the upper lip. Settle with good enough and don’t use a dull or rough blade, which I consider more dangerous and irritating than a sharp one.

Your practice of using two razors is sound. I would recommend using Feather blades for Feather holders like the 8mm Pro Guard. It’s .5mm wider than what you are currently using.

Also practice rolling the tang on any curved areas without a blade inserted. Do this up, downward, and side to side. Notice the pressure you are applying. Are you causing an indentation or not?
 

chazt

shave
Joining the party with my Feather SR. so far I have had 7 partial shaves with a Feather Light blade. Still feels very awkward, but it is improving. Cheeks and neck are going fine, with the grain. Chin and upper lip are still done with a safety razor. It certainly is a lot of fun, but I am still far from being as comfortable with the Feather as with any of my safety razors.

I will give the Light blade a few more turns before switching to either a guarde Kai or a Schick proline P, but probably the Kai first.

On the upper lip and chin I find the razor very rough, but that probably is 90% user error and perhaps the Light blade. I will master the big areas and downward strokes with right and left hands first, before venturing in more difficult areas 👍

This also made me realise even more what a joy and easy to use razor any of my DEs or ATT SE really are, to be able to whack it around my face without any worries!
This is excellent. It sounds like you’re making steady progress, Bart. It’s interesting to read of your experience with shaving around the mouth and under the nose. I’ve wondered how I would approach doing that. For now it’s a non issue as I wear a van dyke. I’m guessing that I’d probably start by using an across the grain stroke. Keep us posted please.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Today's shave was superior to yesterday, but I didn't notice I did anything differently. This was the second use of a new Prof. Super AC Feather blade. Maybe I lathered better and/or re-lathered rather than shave where the lather had begun to lose moisture.

I practice what I preached by rolling the tang with my fingers under the nose and curved facial features. I no longer try an ATG on my cheeks because I do not wind up with a better shave than an across the grain. Plus, my skin feels better.

For me these holders and blades are not a novelty. I simply can do more with less effort using these Artist Club tools.
 

chazt

shave
Today's shave was superior to yesterday, but I didn't notice I did anything differently. This was the second use of a new Prof. Super AC Feather blade. Maybe I lathered better and/or re-lathered rather than shave where the lather had begun to lose moisture.

I practice what I preached by rolling the tang with my fingers under the nose and curved facial features. I no longer try an ATG on my cheeks because I do not wind up with a better shave than an across the grain. Plus, my skin feels better.

For me these holders and blades are not a novelty. I simply can do more with less effort using these Artist Club tools.
Agreed, these AC straight shaves are certainly better for me in terms of closeness and time needed between shaves. And that’s in addition to the fun and excitement of doing something new that most shavers haven’t experienced yet. I’ve said it before and still feel this way, I’m sorry I waited so long to try shaving this way. Sounds like fanboy speak but it’s true.
 

chazt

shave
IMG_2386.jpeg

So with my successful experience two days ago I think I exhibited a little too much overconfidence today. It was a very good shave, but not great. I didn’t stretch my neck skin sufficiently and as a result I’m left with stubble. You can’t see it, but I feel it.

On a side note, I must say that I’m disappointed in the ABMOGT shave cream. I really wanted to love it. Today was the fourth shave with it. Despite plenty of hydration, slickness and cushioning leave a lot to be desired. Yes, I loaded mightily, but to no avail. And any more water in the mix, the lather would have broken down and dripped everywhere. Quite interestingly, as I said, despite plenty of water, I could feel the lather dry mid pass. Frankly, it’s consistent with my preference for soaps over creams. I had to try it though for the amazing scent. Not worried, I have plenty of MWF :wink:
 
Last edited:

chazt

shave
I was trying understand when this AC madness began. Turns out it’s actually a bit longer than I realized. The DX arrived in early April, so it’s six months of massive amounts of shavexcitement. Curious if you guys who’ve been at it for a while still get as juiced as in the beginning?
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I was trying understand when this AC madness began. Turns out it’s actually a bit longer than I realized. The DX arrived in early April, so it’s six months of massive amounts of shavexcitement. Curious if you guys who’ve been at it for a while still get as juiced as in the beginning?
I've had a renewed juicing since you got interested. Has it been that long, in April?
 

Mark12

Forum GOD!
It wasn't AC but I began my shavetting in May I think when @purerockfury sent me one of his shavettes from the US :thumbsup: . I recently received a whole wash of AC blades which I'm working through next. I don't have the SoftGuard yet though.

I now have a Kamisori style clone which I shall use eventually. Things have been a little bonkers of late...🙄

Shavettes do take a little more time for me...
 

purerockfury

..........
It wasn't AC but I began my shavetting in May I think when @purerockfury sent me one of his shavettes from the US :thumbsup: . I recently received a whole wash of AC blades which I'm working through next. I don't have the SoftGuard yet though.

I now have a Kamisori style clone which I shall use eventually. Things have been a little bonkers of late...🙄

Shavettes do take a little more time for me...
the shavettes i have were not made in the US... the white one... was made in India... flea-market find... the one i sent you... was most likely made in cheena...
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
It wasn't AC but I began my shavetting in May I think when @purerockfury sent me one of his shavettes from the US :thumbsup: . I recently received a whole wash of AC blades which I'm working through next. I don't have the SoftGuard yet though.

I now have a Kamisori style clone which I shall use eventually. Things have been a little bonkers of late...🙄

Shavettes do take a little more time for me...
Seems like you did some daily doubles with your shavette?
 
Top