Feather and Kai shaves

murphy5542

Forum GOD!
Alfie, that’s great news! A sweet feeling of relief, excitement and accomplishment. Your Feather looks a happy chappie as well. Reminds me of a whisker loving Pac-Man in some way I can’t quite put my finger on.
View attachment 183710
No?
[/
Thanks Charlie, plenty of practice without a blade, finding out the correct angles and how to hold it properly, especially with my left hand. I can see what made you think of pac man 😂.. happy shaves

Quote
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Seventh use of the Professional Super AC blade today. What surprised me was no resistance felt on the first stroke even though the lather was speckled with whisker upon whipping on the sponge (I use a sponge to clean off the blade rather than rinse). The overall result continues to be effective. The DX kamisori is a pleasure to use. No complaints.
 

chazt

shave
Seventh use of the Professional Super AC blade today. What surprised me was no resistance felt on the first stroke even though the lather was speckled with whisker upon whipping on the sponge (I use a sponge to clean off the blade rather than rinse). The overall result continues to be effective. The DX kamisori is a pleasure to use. No complaints.
I’m sure you take great care to avoid accidentally wiping the sponge on the blade. I see two hypothetical outcomes of that action in addition to a wiped blade, a dull blade and a potentially sliced sponge and finger. Let’s not turn it into theory @Twelvefret :wink:
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I’m sure you take great care to avoid accidentally wiping the sponge on the blade. I see two hypothetical outcomes of that action in addition to a wiped blade, a dull blade and a potentially sliced sponge and finger. Let’s not turn it into theory @Twelvefret :wink:
I wipe the blade holder on the sponge with a spine leading (stropping like) swipe. Can’t dull the blade and you are moving away from any body part.
 

chazt

shave
Recently, I’ve been thinking about how to proceed with these incredibly fun tools going forward from this point. It’s starting to feel like the near daily choice to rotate between blade holders was slowing mastery. It was becoming shavemotionally dizzying. DX, SR, Kai.. ‘round and ‘round like a top 😵

Pondering the following with respect to each RBSR, in order of acquisition…

1, the DX is the most challenging of the three in terms of the attention and focus required to not irritate or draw blood. I’m already using the mildest blade available so the only way to achieve mastery is to use just this exclusively for X amount of time and really perfect my technique with it.

2, since the SR gives me the most easiest and most consistent results should I stick with just this holder for a while longer and really perfect my technique, and then move on? I could do that, but it doesn’t seem like much fun, does it?

3, Woody is so far the trickiest of the three holders. I haven’t found the angles yet. Closeness on my neck even after two passes is elusive. Do I use only this holder? Stick with the Kai guarded and persevere? Switch out the blade for something unguarded?

So this is where my head is. I don’t have any answers to my questions and would welcome thoughts and opinions. Maybe a more experienced user can offer a gem of insight, or a fellow newb like me can offer a personal anecdote that might apply to my conundrum.

Not having any definitive plan, yesterday I loaded a new Kai guarded blade in the SR. The difference between old and fresh blade was perhaps not as noticeable as I might have expected, but frankly I don’t know this format well enough to really determine that definitively. In some ways it feels like I’m still flying blind, so to speak. That said, it was a predictably sold shave. No complaints. 9/10. My other thought about the shave and technique was that while I can certainly and effectively use the RBSR to edge around the van dyke, it’s most easily done with an injector safety razor.

Yesterday’s SOTD.
IMG_2309.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Recently, I’ve been thinking about how to proceed with these incredibly fun tools going forward from this point. It’s starting to feel like the near daily choice to rotate between blade holders was slowing mastery. It was becoming shavemotionally dizzying. DX, SR, Kai.. ‘round and ‘round like a top 😵

Pondering the following with respect to each RBSR, in order of acquisition…

1, the DX is the most challenging of the three in terms of the attention and focus required to not irritate or draw blood. I’m already using the mildest blade available so the only way to achieve mastery is to use just this exclusively for X amount of time and really perfect my technique with it.

2, since the SR gives me the most easiest and most consistent results should I stick with just this holder for a while longer and really perfect my technique, and then move on? I could do that, but it doesn’t seem like much fun, does it?

3, Woody is so far the trickiest of the three holders. I haven’t found the angles yet. Closeness on my neck even after two passes is elusive. Do I use only this holder? Stick with the Kai guarded and persevere? Switch out the blade for something unguarded?

So this is where my head is. I don’t have any answers to my questions and would welcome thoughts and opinions. Maybe a more experienced user can offer a gem of insight, or a fellow newb like me can offer a personal anecdote that might apply to my conundrum.

Not having any definitive plan, yesterday I loaded a new Kai guarded blade in the SR. The difference between old and fresh blade was perhaps not as noticeable as I might have expected, but frankly I don’t know this format well enough to really determine that definitively. In some ways it feels like I’m still flying blind, so to speak. That said, it was a predictably sold shave. No complaints. 9/10. My other thought about the shave and technique was that while I can certainly and effectively use the RBSR to edge around the van dyke, it’s most easily done with an injector safety razor.

Yesterday’s SOTD.
View attachment 183722
Lots of options including daily doubles of RBSR’s or mixing up blade types. Hopefully you are enjoying the ride.
 

Estariol

Forum GOD!
Recently, I’ve been thinking about how to proceed with these incredibly fun tools going forward from this point. It’s starting to feel like the near daily choice to rotate between blade holders was slowing mastery. It was becoming shavemotionally dizzying. DX, SR, Kai.. ‘round and ‘round like a top 😵

Pondering the following with respect to each RBSR, in order of acquisition…

1, the DX is the most challenging of the three in terms of the attention and focus required to not irritate or draw blood. I’m already using the mildest blade available so the only way to achieve mastery is to use just this exclusively for X amount of time and really perfect my technique with it.

2, since the SR gives me the most easiest and most consistent results should I stick with just this holder for a while longer and really perfect my technique, and then move on? I could do that, but it doesn’t seem like much fun, does it?

3, Woody is so far the trickiest of the three holders. I haven’t found the angles yet. Closeness on my neck even after two passes is elusive. Do I use only this holder? Stick with the Kai guarded and persevere? Switch out the blade for something unguarded?

So this is where my head is. I don’t have any answers to my questions and would welcome thoughts and opinions. Maybe a more experienced user can offer a gem of insight, or a fellow newb like me can offer a personal anecdote that might apply to my conundrum.

Not having any definitive plan, yesterday I loaded a new Kai guarded blade in the SR. The difference between old and fresh blade was perhaps not as noticeable as I might have expected, but frankly I don’t know this format well enough to really determine that definitively. In some ways it feels like I’m still flying blind, so to speak. That said, it was a predictably sold shave. No complaints. 9/10. My other thought about the shave and technique was that while I can certainly and effectively use the RBSR to edge around the van dyke, it’s most easily done with an injector safety razor.

Yesterday’s SOTD.

Since you are getting good shaves from the SR, i suggest a trial an unguarded blade in that one, see where it goes. I suggest the Kai Titan Pink, the same sharpness as the guarded MG without the guards. Go slowly. My mindset when going in with the first unguarded blade was "anything less than a bloodbath is good". There was ONE weeper on my cheek. But no ATG, only WTG and XTG in both directions - which is actually ATG on my neck.
So if you opt for this, i repeat - go slow and careful, expect a disaster and no ATG for the first time. And good luck :cheers:
 

chazt

shave
Lots of options including daily doubles of RBSR’s or mixing up blade types. Hopefully you are enjoying the ride.
Most definitely, just feeling a temporary floundering. As time goes on this will pass.
Since you are getting good shaves from the SR, i suggest a trial an unguarded blade in that one, see where it goes. I suggest the Kai Titan Pink, the same sharpness as the guarded MG without the guards. Go slowly. My mindset when going in with the first unguarded blade was "anything less than a bloodbath is good". There was ONE weeper on my cheek. But no ATG, only WTG and XTG in both directions - which is actually ATG on my neck.
So if you opt for this, i repeat - go slow and careful, expect a disaster and no ATG for the first time. And good luck :cheers:
Sound advice. I was thinking of trying this with the Kai, making it perhaps more efficient, but I see your point about sticking with the SR and a different blade.
 
Top