Fat boy and Rex compasrison

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
Does the fat boy compare in shave quality compared to a Rex if anyone has tried both ,Has the Rex improved adjustable razors over the years

carbold

Carlo
Yes, I did a back to back with an N series Rex, and the Rex has significantly more blade feel and it is more efficient.
The Rex has improved massively since the beginning, and the N series has seen a number of small improvements. Allegedly the O series is the best so far, with also better finish. I should get one tomorrow and will confirm this.

upload_2019-5-28_13-54-34.png

Last edited:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Don't forget that you can "overclock" the Fatboy to increase the blade gap. No idea how this works or how it would compare to the Rex though...

carbold

Carlo
Don't forget that you can "overclock" the Fatboy to increase the blade gap. No idea how this works or how it would compare to the Rex though...
Funny enough I just got my Fatboy replated and overclocked by that guy in Slovenia. He has sent it back to me yesterday and I should get it soon. He said I should get a gap increase of 0.2mm. I still have your passaround Fatboy so I should be able to compare and report back

FSword

Forum GOD!
More aggressive doesn't necessarily mean better thought. I'd like an adjustable razor with enough mild scales, not favoring aggressive settings.

PS: I'm generally speaking, I haven't tried any of the two razors.

Wayne

Forum Sod
More aggressive doesn't necessarily mean better thought. I'd like an adjustable razor with enough mild scales, not favoring aggressive settings.

PS: I'm generally speaking, I haven't tried any of the two razors.
Agreed, I wish the Rex was milder on the lower settings.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Funny enough I just got my Fatboy replated and overclocked by that guy in Slovenia. He has sent it back to me yesterday and I should get it soon. He said I should get a gap increase of 0.2mm. I still have your passaround Fatboy so I should be able to compare and report back
Looking forward hearing how you find the overclocked Fatboy...

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
Now I’ve read the Rex is still fairly aggressive on the lower settings it’s putting me off as I like to use the same razor for head and face at same time ,

carbold

Carlo
Now I’ve read the Rex is still fairly aggressive on the lower settings it’s putting me off as I like to use the same razor for head and face at same time ,
I disagree with this. For what I remember the first 3 settings were useless to me, but I tend to use more aggressive razors, like Wolfman 0.80 OC or timeless 0.95. As usual, it’s all very subjective

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I use the same razor for face and head and managed fine with the Rex once I’d gotten the hang of it. I prefer milder razors but after a couple of blood sacrifices the Rex was appeased and I started to enjoy it. The main thing that puts me off is that I’d only use one setting.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
The Rex feels more direct, with the slimmer head profile and protruding safety bar IMO. I also don't find the Rex overly aggressive. I also prefer the weight and balance of the Rex over the Fatboy.

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
The Rex feels more direct, with the slimmer head profile and protruding safety bar IMO. I also don't find the Rex overly aggressive. I also prefer the weight and balance of the Rex over the Fatboy.
If you had to choose one ,Rex or Blackbird ? I’ve no experience with either but it will be used for head and face ,I’m leaning towards Blackbird but something pushes me to Rex ,Would be last expensive razor for a while so got to get it right

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
If you had to choose one ,Rex or Blackbird ? I’ve no experience with either but it will be used for head and face ,I’m leaning towards Blackbird but something pushes me to Rex ,Would be last expensive razor for a while so got to get it right
Not sure if the two can be compared properly, as one is adjustable and the other isn't.

I have no experience of head shaving, but, if you go Blackbird, then the one fixed setting will work for either, one only, or neither.

The Rex at least gives the possibility of changing the settings to work on head or face.

I'm unsure what is best for head shaving, but the Rex handle is short.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Blackbird but give it time to shine.