DR Harris shaving soaps

chazt

shave
Since my original post in this thread nearly a year ago, I can update a few ideas. As far as I can perceive, my collection of soaps, both in rotation and in storage, have seemingly lost no significant amount, if any, of their original scent strength. Granted I’ve no way to measure this, so it’s merely subjective but I’m going with it. All were made prior to 2024, with one possible exception. I’ve since bought Lavender in the dark wood bowl, back in the Spring of this year, so not quite sure as to when it was manufactured. The scent is much softer than Salter’s Lavender. Performance is top notch. Next on my buy list is Sandalwood. Does anyone (@pjgh :wink:) know which formulation I should be looking for?
 
Last edited:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Formulations?

Well, at some point early 2024 DR Harris told me of a formulation change but it has taken some months for stock to flow through (even direct) and my new Sandalwood was this new formulation. Other scents might well still be the older formulation, as it might be for other distributors out there.

While the formulation is different depending upon scent profile, it's Potassium Laurate & Sodium Laurate" that identifies this new formulation and the presence of Tetrasodium Iminodisuccinate that replaces Tetrasodium Pentetate as per EU Directive that came into force at the end of 2023.

Sandalwood, for example:

pre-2024
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Tallowate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Cocoate, Palm Kernel Acid, Perfum (Fragrance), Petrolatum, Sodium Chloride, Linalool, Coumarin, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, O-Tolyl biguanide, Limonene, CI 77891

2024 onwards
Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Palm Kernal Acid, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Tetrasodium Iminodisuccinate, Q-Tolyl Biguanide, Limonene, Petrolatum, Tetrasodium EDTA, CI 77891

As yet, Cyril R Salter whose formulation strongly matches the pre-2024 formulation have not been seen to have reformulated, but let's hope it continues to follow DR Harris. Alternatively, Captain Fawcett whose formulations also follow DR Harris have moved to the newer formulation.

I like the 2024 formulation a lot and find the lather much like more vintage Floris from the early 2000s. This is a tallowate first soap and that gives a little extra magic. Does that answer @chazt? Bag a new formulation DR Harris. Sandalwood. Get the splash as well!
 

chazt

shave
Thanks, @pjgh Paul. I’m immature and couldn’t wait for your reply. There’s a bowl of the pre-24 sandalwood headed my way. It was on special at BGS and I couldn’t resist. I like the formula just fine - all of my other Harris soaps are pre-2024 and they work beautifully for me. Down the road when I need to add a backup I’ll have a chance to try the 2024 formulation. I’m looking forward to seeing how closely (or not) the soap resembles my bottle of DRH sandalwood aftershave. Good times ahead :rolleyes:
 

iwan073

Forum GOD!
I now have 3 hard soaps from D.R. Harris and I love them. D.R. Harris soaps are the best of The Big Four from London.
The Marlborough has a very subtle scent, according to my nose. Ask my wife and she'll tell you it has no scent at all.
The Sandalwood soap has a very pleasing sandalwood scent, just like their cream.
And Arlington has a very nice fresh scent. To me it smells exactly like the original Eau de Cologne 4711.
 

Bauhaus

Forum GOD!
I just can confirm that DR Harris is so good. For me, it's even better than Floris and Truefitt & Hill soaps. I've had Windsor and Almond. Windsor I like more, but the Almond is also pretty nice.
Since I left this comment, I understood that I like Floris more. But Dr Harris is still an awesome soap. Dr Harris is easier to lather but Floris is better overall.
 

Bauhaus

Forum GOD!
I’d say it’s the overall experience, I have nothing to outline in Floris soap. I was gifted a DR Harris Sandalwood a few months ago and I like it, really. The great scent and it gives nice shaves but honestly, I prefer artisan soaps and use these hard English gems occasionally.
 

Randy

Forum GOD!
I understand. If memory serves, my “deep storage” stash has a good 30+ hard pucks and approximately 24 soft soaps from a half dozen or so brands. And let’s not forget the 2 dozen soaps that I’m actually working through. I’m sick.
Why so little stuff? You are indeed sick that you pretend that you have too much 🤣🤣🤣

Randy's den : 85 artisans only, let's not forget the commercial ones and the tube's 😆
 
Top