Review & Discussion - PAA Ascension

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Hmmm, wishlist contender; thanks for the review.
How firm is the setting at 1/8 or 1/4 turn? No risk of of accidentally changing the setting while shaving, or putting it away?
No issues at all. Once tightened down, because of the inherent curvature of the top cap and plate, the blade acts like a tension spring. By turning the handle counter-clockwise, you increase gap and blade exposure ever so slightly in whatever increment (s) you prefer. Trust me, it’s still plenty tight when you make that 1/4 turn to increase it’s efficiency. It will not move....

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
No issues at all. Once tightened down, because of the inherent curvature of the top cap and plate, the blade acts like a tension spring. By turning the handle counter-clockwise, you increase gap and blade exposure ever so slightly in whatever increment (s) you prefer. Trust me, it’s still plenty tight when you make that 1/4 turn to increase it’s efficiency. It will not move....
Any more than a quarter turn and you do risk it loosening during the shave. You dont need any more than a 1/4 though. Very efficient shaver...

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Just gets better every time I use this razor. The smoothness and the combined deceptive efficiency is just excellent. Simple little twist here and there, bingo and it’s a great feeling shave. The value is amazing and the shave it gives is top notch.... Superb!

465A37AF-C07D-4B51-8163-20032FFAB211.jpeg

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Another good one with the Ascension last night. This aluminum version of it has proven me wrong in that a lightweight razor can and will give just as good a shave as a razor with more weight to it. This thing is like a small sports car racing around my face with excellent balance between smoothness and efficiency. Great little razor....

624A6A63-41D4-42C0-819B-AC54401CF0D8.jpeg

bijou

Forum GOD!
I recently purchased the Ascension SS twist because of some reviews I read. I have always liked the 1930's design of this lather catcher self-lubricating design, and have been intrigued with PAA's use of recreating razors with this design. It wasn't until I read a review that stated the SS version had good weight and was very efficient with a slight adjustment for blade feel that I decided to give it a try. I had nothing to lose for the money $80. if I didn't like I would sell it for $50-60, no big loss.

I like blade feel and feedback, I've stated this many times. The razors I use are Single Ring (Old Type) thin head Ball End (I switch out the handle for a stork Ti or SS 13 x 90), a CG Level 3 DC, British Streamline (gem blade), and a General SE SS using a Feather Super Pro. My go-to razors are the Single Ring and CG because I prefer a thin head, the Ascension SS has a thin head, so how does it shave?

I have used the Ascension SS twist now using a Polsilver a half dozen times and the shaves have been for me great from the very first shave (again I switched out the handle for a Stork SS 13 x 90, that's just me). I find this razor to be unbelievably smooth and efficient, I like the way I can slightly adjust the bade and the feedback is very accurate from start to finish. I might add the soaps were B&M, SV, Tallow and Steel.

I have no idea about the Aluminum Ascension razors they're to light for me. But to my surprise, I have found the SS version of this razor to be to my liking, an excellent smooth, efficient shaver that produces virtually no irritation.

PPA razor.jpg

Last edited:

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Had a very, very good shave this morning with the PAA Ascension Twist SS razor. And just to change things up a bit, I used the Gamechanger Radio Knob handle on it. It actually felt better in the hands and better balanced than the Bomb Tip handle that came with it. Better knurling and feel and weight distribution was just about right. I haven’t had a single complaint so far from this razor and the shaves have been smooth and so efficient. A heck of a deal for $80. Great, great value.

5C8B287A-C985-4D73-8ABD-942EE4E45412.jpeg

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
Can't seem to buy one at all. Does anybody know if the aluminium version is going to become available again, or is it a case that when they're gone - they're gone for good?

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Can't seem to buy one at all. Does anybody know if the aluminium version is going to become available again, or is it a case that when they're gone - they're gone for good?
I know the SS is still available but, the Aluminum version is out and I don't know if it will be restocked. Send them an email and inquire about it.....

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Almost a dozen shaves in with the Ascension SS and not a single bad shave with this razor. Uncany how smooth and yet efficient this razor is. I honestly can not find a fault with its performance. You can go from feeling a shave comparable to the .68 Gamechanger all the way up to a .95 Timeless OC razor. And yet, it keeps that inherent smoothness throughout that simple 1/4 turn twist or less depending on the feel you are looking for in a shave. I'm extremely impressed with the Ascension SS and would recommend it to anyone from a newb to a seasoned veteran. Easy to use and even easier to dial in your custom shave.

The one caveat that perhaps might matter to most is the handle itself. I feel as though the knurling on it is not as deep or pronounced as compared to other handles that offer better grip. Not that it has ever slipped or fallen from my hands but, I think with a better, deeper and more pronounced knurling to provide better tactile feel, PAA would have hit a grand slam with this tool. Still for the construction, alloy, quality of shave and value, it's a home run imho......

002F2227-92CA-4408-BAF7-032EEA963935.jpeg

RandySp

Forum GOD!
This is a very good looking razor. Definitely. How it performs on ATG pass on a face with tough hairs and sensitive skin please?

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
This is a very good looking razor. Definitely. How it performs on ATG pass on a face with tough hairs and sensitive skin please?
Fabulous. That's the beauty of the dual open comb design. It still allows some of the lather to feed through on each pass that gives it great glide and comfort while still getting a smooth feeling but, efficient shave. Of the three DOC designs that I have tried, the SS Ascension has arguably been the best performer.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
If you’ve seen the reviews on the SS version, it’s pretty much the same as that. Only difference is in the weight of the Copper over the Stainless. It still is nicely balanced and the extra heft I feel actually aided in the shave a bit. Still very smooth and efficient feeling throughout the whole shave. And of course the beauty of the whole thing is the dual open comb design. It just allows for that bit of lather to come along on every stroke as the razor and blade just glides effortlessly across ones face. Fit and finish is excellent and I think that this handle actually feels just a tad less grippier than the Stainless or Aluminum version. But, it still feels fine in the hands and it never felt like it was going to slip or fall out of my hands.

If you have the Stainless or Aluminum I think there really is no need for the Copper version unless of course, you don’t happen to have a copper razor in your possession. If you missed out on either of the first two, the Copper Ascension would be a fine pick up. If, they become available again.

ABF5A46F-2667-414D-9C52-F33DE9F2973F.jpeg

EF65E202-91B6-4BC5-AA43-5A4287F9C297.jpeg

7F1A65F6-4A30-48C5-924C-BCE559C77D68.jpeg

52955C83-747B-447C-8BCE-5320004DCEA4.jpeg

E973E05C-BED9-4758-B0D0-C39630D859F3.jpeg