Dipping My Toes... and Thanks

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
I realise, Nishy, that there's such a thing as a "honeymoon period" where everyone is full of goodwill, high spirit and where banter abounds. I think we all know that, in the scheme of things, that doesn't always last for ever and views differ and opinions vary and there's bound to be a few interesting exchanges.

Len has joined up on ATG and straight away set out his stall in saying he has strong opinions and enjoys even heated debate. I did see some of the posts in the other place that Len refers to, and in which he was quite heavily involved,and the level and standard of debate there wasn't pleasant. Quite the opposite in fact.

Len has said .... "Not sure if I'll last, or even if this place will overall, but I sure hope so, and hope I'll be welcomed and accepted, and hope to do likewise from my end".

Well, I for one, certainly hopes this place will last...why shouldn't it? And I hope Len will stay and enjoy the company of others and vice versa.

If the level of debate, however, descends into that which was exhibited elsewhere then I''l be sad. Very sad. Hopefully the owners and moderators will be able to prevent that happening. If it means firmness in dealing with untoward contributions then, hopefully, so be it.
 

Len

Forum GOD!
Thanks all for the warm welcome! :)

Hey, always good to see our American cousins. I found out about ATG from your post in the other place.
I'm glad you followed that link, because the mods deleted it soon thereafter. I don't think a lot of the members there are aware of this place, and their site ownership wants to keep them in the dark. If any of you have friends over there, you might want to PM them so they know we exist, and where.

If the level of debate, however, descends into that which was exhibited elsewhere then I''l be sad. Very sad. Hopefully the owners and moderators will be able to prevent that happening. If it means firmness in dealing with untoward contributions then, hopefully, so be it.
I think even heated debate can be productive without getting derogatory and nasty, and I think its always good to remember to separate the subject from the person. Then, everyone can still be friends afterwards and agree to disagree, if no agreement can be found in the middle. My goal with debate is always to learn, especially if its heated, because usually a person brings the very best and most comprehensive points forward when their passionate about what they're defending.

Hi Len welcome to ATG. Look forward to having a few well mannered debates :) do the Bulls still rule?
The Bulls had the greatest team of all time in the 90's, these days though, they are 'in the hunt', so to speak. Much more of an American Football fan with the Bears, and I'm very passionate, win or lose. Cubs for baseball, and although they are much loved by all involved, they haven't won a championship in over 100 years... :cry: My poor grandfather, a lifelong Cubs fan, and nearing 100 years old, has never seen them win a World Series. :banghead:

But for sport though, nothing takes my interest more than MMA. I still can't believe Michael Bisping has taken the Middleweight UFC belt, and I do believe the first Brit to have done so! And of course you have Conor McGregor, the Irish UFC Featherweight champion that is right now the biggest star in the game. Very entertaining, that guy!
 

jb7

Bloke
I'm very passionate, win or lose
Cubs for baseball, and although they are much loved by all involved, they haven't won a championship in over 100 years
We better not start a 'heated' debate about Steve Bartman then (I stumbled upon a 30 for 30 documentary about the guy and what happened - wow).

Welcome Len.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Len

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Thanks all for the warm welcome! :)



I'm glad you followed that link, because the mods deleted it soon thereafter. I don't think a lot of the members there are aware of this place, and their site ownership wants to keep them in the dark. If any of you have friends over there, you might want to PM them so they know we exist, and where.



I think even heated debate can be productive without getting derogatory and nasty, and I think its always good to remember to separate the subject from the person. Then, everyone can still be friends afterwards and agree to disagree, if no agreement can be found in the middle. My goal with debate is always to learn, especially if its heated, because usually a person brings the very best and most comprehensive points forward when their passionate about what they're defending.



The Bulls had the greatest team of all time in the 90's, these days though, they are 'in the hunt', so to speak. Much more of an American Football fan with the Bears, and I'm very passionate, win or lose. Cubs for baseball, and although they are much loved by all involved, they haven't won a championship in over 100 years... :cry: My poor grandfather, a lifelong Cubs fan, and nearing 100 years old, has never seen them win a World Series. :banghead:

But for sport though, nothing takes my interest more than MMA. I still can't believe Michael Bisping has taken the Middleweight UFC belt, and I do believe the first Brit to have done so! And of course you have Conor McGregor, the Irish UFC Featherweight champion that is right now the biggest star in the game. Very entertaining, that guy!
I'm a Dominick Cruz man myself, among the lighter divisions. I don't wanna see McGregor vs Mayweather, I wanna see Mayweather vs Cruz + was pleased to see Bisping knock out that cocky git Rockhold. I remember well those Amazing games the Bulls had vs Trailblazers in the early 90s, but I was gonna ask "what about the Blackhawks?" but your post just confirms my suspicion that, whatever else they may watch, no Americans are watching hockey anymore :)
Yeah, I though the link would be deleted. Thanks again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Len

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
Len,
Welcome to ATG. I'm sure you'll like it here, you'll recognise many familiar faces.

Regards,
Chris
 
  • Like
Reactions: Len
Top