Davies Rythmic adjustable - a Scottish wonder

Northstonehill

Forum GOD!
9D57AB37-4BE9-4679-BA64-DF6818AF5294.png

I honestly never ever thought I’d get me one of these - my holy grail razor. But here it is en route to the Northstonehill headquarters :woot: Meet the Davies Rythmic adjustable razor.

According to Waits the Davies Rythmic was patented in the UK on 15 january 1936 by William James Davies, British patent number 466228. And it was subsequently manufactured at the Davies Razor Company, Central Chambers, 93 Hope Street in Glasgow Scotland. Material is chrome plated brass and it weighs in at around 75 grams.

And yes, it may look like a freak but a most fascinating one; and it is reportedly a mighty fine shaver. Even takes standard blades. I attach some older photos (not my razor) of the functionality when mounting the blade: The bottom plate lowers and then rotates 90 degrees so that you can load the blade. Reversing the action pushes the blade upwards and flexes it and thereby giving it rigidity. There is a dial just above the opening knob where you do the adjusting. The adjustability is infinite like on a Gibbs or a L’Essor Le Supreme.

This specimen appears to be in superb original condition as is the gorgeous original bakelite case with stainless steel hinge. Only things missing are the cream colored blade banks, but who is counting 🥳

229CE849-E436-43D4-AB8C-71E9DE964ADD.jpeg
05F86697-6950-4C89-A778-EDD4B5DD3BCC.jpeg
951A8BD3-DFA2-40EA-98BE-2195B0A2B4EF.jpeg
DBD98240-1A59-4EB6-8C10-F43A7A68CBC8.jpeg

D

Deleted member 1881

View attachment 68429

I honestly never ever thought I’d get me one of these - my holy grail razor. But here it is en route to the Northstonehill headquarters :woot: Meet the Davies Rythmic adjustable razor.

According to Waits the Davies Rythmic was patented in the UK on 15 january 1936 by William James Davies, British patent number 466228. And it was subsequently manufactured at the Davies Razor Company, Central Chambers, 93 Hope Street in Glasgow Scotland. Material is chrome plated brass and it weighs in at around 75 grams.

And yes, it may look like a freak but a most fascinating one; and it is reportedly a mighty fine shaver. Even takes standard blades. I attach some older photos (not my razor) of the functionality when mounting the blade: The bottom plate lowers and then rotates 90 degrees so that you can load the blade. Reversing the action pushes the blade upwards and flexes it and thereby giving it rigidity. There is a dial just above the opening knob where you do the adjusting. The adjustability is infinite like on a Gibbs or a L’Essor Le Supreme.

This specimen appears to be in superb original condition as is the gorgeous original bakelite case with stainless steel hinge. Only things missing are the cream colored blade banks, but who is counting 🥳

View attachment 68426View attachment 68425View attachment 68427View attachment 68428
Shaving with this one could lead in a massacre.

Actor07

Forum GOD!
That is my holy grail too. Congrats. One day, I hope to get one. I would easily trade one of my cased Darwins for one

Northstonehill

Forum GOD!
Hi guys, so sorry for not checking in sooner to reply and report back on the shave.

I have indeed shaved with the Davies multiple times and it actually shaves great! All tightened up it is quite mild, and what most stands out to me is that it feels very balanced and much more sturdy than expected. When you first pick it up you are afraid to drop it but after holding it for a short while it feels sturdy, safe, and those strange arms don’t look nearly as freaky in hand as they do in a photo.

It sings during the shave, the blade sits tight but it takes a little while to adjust to the arms making it very broad. Under the nose is a problem but I have never truly mastered the technique to DE shave under my nose anyways.

Last issue is that it is a pain to clean (I am a stickler about cleaning my razors), which is the main reason for it not making it into my regular rotation. But also considering the value of the thing I feel bad to use it too much when I have a number of other wonderful razors to use. Still, it is really fun to bring out for that odd weekend shave where you feel like trying something unique.

I uploaded this very short video on youtube to show the fascinating loading/adjustment motion live:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTxpLxuKZA

Last edited: