Christmas food

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Secret is not to go too mental with the Marmite, you should know that there is something there - but not put your finger on it. First time I made them even my son was gagging and he loves Marmite.:meh:
Fair play, I sometimes brush a small amount of Marmite on cod or even put a small amount into veg whilst roasting.

Uncle Bertie

Forum GOD!
We're not huge fans of turkey here either, so we've got a good lump of pork shoulder with apple wedges, yorkies, red cabbage, stuffing, roast (potatoes, carrots, shallots and parsnips) and broccoli and stir fried sprouts with bacon and and and....

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
This reminds me I need to get some sprouts and Stilton. Last year Sainsbury's had sprouts on their stalk which was quite novel. Should also get some parsnips and chestnuts.

Wayne

Forum Sod
We are off for the Turkey today. I hope it is a better meal than last year! The wife put Fish Fingers in front of me. 'What happened to the lovely fresh Turkey we were supposed to be having'? I asked
'Every time I put it in the oven it blew the gas out' She said.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I love goose, but so rarely actually get to cook 'em. Once again, it's turkey this year ... at our lad's. Maybe next year I'll do the goose.

Your brined pork looks good @halvor. I'm not much of a pork eater, but when I do it's belly pork. Brined, I bet that's just yummy! I've brined a brisket of beef before - you know, proper corned beef. I'll remember this. Perhaps one for into the new year.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Missus introduced goose as an option for Christmas. Experiences? Easily done or do they often go dry and chewy? Perhaps not the best day for maiden voyages in the kitchen...

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Missus introduced goose as an option for Christmas. Experiences? Easily done or do they often go dry and chewy? Perhaps not the best day for maiden voyages in the kitchen...
Someone at work was saying they are having goose for the first time. Someone else chimed in and said generally they are fairly moist as they have a higher fat content, but like duck. I’ve had duck a few times, and that has a higher fat content and is delicious.

We are having our usual beef rib.

I’ve done goose a few times over the last few years and will be again this year along with lamb, venison and a three bird roast. Live like a Lord I say.
Lots of fat comes from the goose, if you’re half decent in the kitchen, and I believe you are, you’ve got nothing to fear with a goose.

Edit: what I’ve found in doing goose a few times now is the legs dry out easily. Remove those bad boys and confit them, save them as a treat another day. Just do the goose crown for the main event.

Last edited: