Burn

D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
This is a little devil's tool.

Post a photo of the baseplate when you get it in your hands to see if it is the v1 or the v2.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
My understanding of alum is that it's purpose is to stop minor bleeding from weepers and to soothe irritation. I use it after every shave and find it helps me most if I've had a rough shave that caused a bit of irritation. There is a bit of sting when I first apply it but as I rub it over my face the sting subsides quickly. If all of my shaves were guaranteed to be irritation and weeper free, I see very little reason for alum. I'd use alum.
Yes, alum being an astringent will help with minor weepers and it is slight anti bacterial. It contracts skin cells leaving your face feeling tight for a short while which is good for us old farts. I use it every shave and not usually because I need it for weepers or irritation. You can use it on very irritated areas but when all is said and done they will still be irritated. If you have anything like a shirt collar rub against it you'll know it is still irritated.

Aloe will over time and repeated applications diminish the irritation.

Bob
 

R181

Grumpy old man
The OP got some good advice at the beginning of the thread regarding proper shaving technique and the importance of a good lather. Neither poor shaving technique and/or lousy lather will be cured by jumping to a Fatip OC. It in all likelihood make it worse.

If your shaving technique is very good and so is your lather making the Fatip OC is an excellent razor even though it is aggressive. I shave with a straight razor every day but also use on occasion a Fatip OC, various versions of the Gillette Fat Boy @ 9 and a Muhle R41 second version. I don't think anyone would argue that a straight razor is about as aggressive as razors get and the other DEs I mentioned also demand close attention to shaving technique and being able to make an excellent lather being aggressive.

Everyone like different DE blades. Personally I have found Gillette Silver Blues to have a very good balance between sharpness and smoothness. For me they are great.

Bob
 

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Believe me, there's nothing wrong with the Fatip Piccolo. In fact it's probably a better idea than the DE89 because it may cut closer therefore less potential passes and irritation. My son has sensitive skin and preferred the Piccolo to the Rockwell 6c on 5 or 6. I find it quite mild, though I use a R41 which is more efficient.

What I'd suggest is:
- Shave every 2 days until the burning stops.
- Face lather with plenty of product, and keep adding water until the lather is quite sloppy.
- Use as little pressure as possible and be satisfied with a reasonably close shave on the irritated areas. They should get better with time.
- Use a Gillette Silver Blue until this clears. That's the smoothest blade I know while still being very sharp.
 

pearse85

Forum GOD!
Believe me, there's nothing wrong with the Fatip Piccolo. In fact it's probably a better idea than the DE89 because it may cut closer therefore less potential passes and irritation. My son has sensitive skin and preferred the Piccolo to the Rockwell 6c on 5 or 6. I find it quite mild, though I use a R41 which is more efficient.

What I'd suggest is:
- Shave every 2 days until the burning stops.
- Face lather with plenty of product, and keep adding water until the lather is quite sloppy.
- Use as little pressure as possible and be satisfied with a reasonably close shave on the irritated areas. They should get better with time.
- Use a Gillette Silver Blue until this clears. That's the smoothest blade I know while still being very sharp.
Cheers for the advice, think i will just avoid going atg.
Put plenty of jojoba oil on lastnight and the burn and irritation is gone.
I read on here last night someone mention that they dont go atg, as stubble is back up within a few hours, and i find this myself that even places that are bbs but within a few hours you can feel a little stubble, so i dont mind going wtg each day i think ill find it more pleasurable.
 
Top