Burn

R181

Grumpy old man
Use a shallow blade angle, start with the cap on your face and rotate until you feel it shave.



If you use a steep angle you will be scraping instead of cutting.

The lather needs to be wet and slick, what kind of soap are you using?

.
I'd say technique also given the length of time the OP has been shaving with a DE. The angle you use is very important and you must maintain it yourself as a DE does not have a pivoting head to take care of that for you like a cart. Weight is also important as in little to no weight on the razor. Just try and let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

Along with shaving technique a good lather is important. I have found that this vid can be helpful in getting to a good lather.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zESTQWDuw


Your shave will always feel rough rubbing ATG if you do not shave ATG.

Bob
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Loads of handles available in the UK so no need to pay high shipping costs. Go on Ebay and look for Windrose razor handles, he has a good few really nice Stainless Steel handles for sale and they aren't expensive, or Executive Shaving sells nice handles made in Scotland. I would buy some smoother less sharp blades until you get your technique down. Try some Shark or Voskhods. Still nice blades which shave well but may well give less irritation. Hope that helps, good luck, you'll get there.
 

pearse85

Forum GOD!
Loads of handles available in the UK so no need to pay high shipping costs. Go on Ebay and look for Windrose razor handles, he has a good few really nice Stainless Steel handles for sale and they aren't expensive, or Executive Shaving sells nice handles made in Scotland. I would buy some smoother less sharp blades until you get your technique down. Try some Shark or Voskhods. Still nice blades which shave well but may well give less irritation. Hope that helps, good luck, you'll get there.
Ive bought shark, personna, feather, astra, sputnik, voshkods, gillette, so i have a few to try haha.
The irritation seems to have just started since i switched from trying the feather to using the polsilver.

Cheers for the info regarding the handles will have a look now.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Ive bought shark, personna, feather, astra, sputnik, voshkods, gillette, so i have a few to try haha.
The irritation seems to have just started since i switched from trying the feather to using the polsilver.

Cheers for the info regarding the handles will have a look now.
That may happen as not all blades suit every face. You will find the blade that suits you in a short while then you will be fine.
 

pearse85

Forum GOD!
Well truly had the most uncomfortable shave this evening, shaving rash on neck, few nicks to complement it and my neck is burning.
Was using a new sputnik blade, fitjar soap, stupidly opted to go atg and now finally realise that if im wetshaving then i will be shaving wtg on each pass.
Learn from youre mistakes eh:giggle:
Think ill let it settle for a couple of days, the joys of being a beginner:oops:
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Would an alum block help this?
Ive ordered aloe vera gel also.
No, using an alum block on already irritated skin will have you running backwards around the room yelping. I'd only use it if you have had a shave with no irritation.

OTH aloe vera gel should help sooth the irritation.

Bob
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
My understanding of alum is that it's purpose is to stop minor bleeding from weepers and to soothe irritation. I use it after every shave and find it helps me most if I've had a rough shave that caused a bit of irritation. There is a bit of sting when I first apply it but as I rub it over my face the sting subsides quickly. If all of my shaves were guaranteed to be irritation and weeper free, I see very little reason for alum. I'd use alum.
 
Last edited:

pearse85

Forum GOD!
My understanding of alum is that it's purpose is to stop minor bleeding from weepers and to sooth irritation. I use it after every shave and find it helps me most if I've had a rough shave that caused a bit of irritation. There is a bit of sting when I first apply it but as I rub it over my face the sting subsides quickly. If all of my shaves were guaranteed to be irritation and weeper free, I see very little reason for alum. I'd use alum.
Any recommendations?
I quite like the idea of the stick rather than the block.
 
Top