BST closed - but.........?

SeanC

Forum GOD!
All the BST and raffle groups on Facebook including the US shaving forums still open for business, personally I don't see a problem with opening it, I like to think we are all responsible enough to clean and sanitise whatever we send I know I would be for sure.
+1

The only items that I would be wary of is used soaps which are impossible to sanitise. Pretty much everything else can take a dip in 99% isopropyl alcohol on arrival

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
+1

The only items that I would be wary of is used soaps which are impossible to sanitise. Pretty much everything else can take a dip in 99% isopropyl alcohol on arrival
Read my post above. You wouldn’t have to sanitise it, let it die away.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
+1

hahaha. see your point BUT ......... does not 20 seconds of soap and hot water meant to kill the bugger any way? Get the puk out and give the hands a good ash with it. Job done. :okay:

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
+1

It’s not going to live on a soap for very long, that’s not a surface the virus is particularly susceptible to. You’re looking at plastic and harder surfaces for that, possibly the tub. As others have said if you’re worried just leave it for, say, 72 hours and any virus like this is going to be long dead.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
72 hours and any virus like this is going to be long dead.
I posted above something about that. Time the package arrives the contents have had that time.
I’ve literally just had a used pair of headphones arrive but in double quick time so I won’t open it till tomorrow. I’ve treated the package itself with care.
People have just got to be sensible not paranoid. This situation is hurting everyone mentally enough as it is. IMHO

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I posted above something about that. Time the package arrives the contents have had that time.
I’ve literally just had a used pair of headphones arrive but in double quick time so I won’t open it till tomorrow. I’ve treated the package itself with care.
People have just got to be sensible not paranoid. This situation is hurting everyone mentally enough as it is. IMHO
Absolutely! When I received all my dad's gear back from the hospital he passed in I put it in another room and left it for well over a week. This virus is shown to die within a 72 hour period depending on what surface it’s on, so I knew it was over and done with if it was on anything in the bag. Still used gloves etc just for protection but as long as you’re sensible and wash your hands when you’re handling stuff it’s no issue.

Many of the COVID cases are from people inhaling the virus, which is chiefly how it’s spread. You’re much more likely to get it that way than off a surface.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Many of the COVID cases are from people inhaling the virus, which is chiefly how it’s spread. You’re much more likely to get it that way than off a surface.
You're much more likely to get it via contact with a contaminated surface unless you're in direct close contact with an infected person who is likely to breathe or cough on you, this is why the guidance from WHO is hand-washing and avoiding touching your face not wearing masks and goggles. The virus isn't directly airborne it's carried in exhaled droplets which pretty quickly drop out of the air and land on stuff.

With that said, it's dead after 72 hours on a surface, and soap will destroy it as it breaks down the lipid layer that holds the thing together.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
The virus isn't directly airborne it's carried in exhaled droplets which pretty quickly drop out of the air and land on stuff.
Then I guess you didn’t see the computer simulation that was done showing an infected person coughing or sneezing in a supermarket aisle infecting someone in the next aisle up to 15 minutes later

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Then I guess you didn’t see the computer simulation that was done showing an infected person coughing or sneezing in a supermarket aisle infecting someone in the next aisle up to 15 minutes later
I didn't, do you have a link?

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Apologies it’s a far shorter timespan
Just google simulation coronavirus supermarket or similar. It was in the headlines for quite a while