Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream - Old vs New

D

Deleted member 1881

Gents, as you may know BS changed the old formula Maca Root Shave Cream with a new one. It is called Maca Root & Aloe Vera Shave Cream. I'll post the ingredients of the two and a discussion may begin.. Soon I will come back with my thoughts!

Maca Root Shave Cream:

Aqua/Water/Eau, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenethyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Bertholletia Excelsa Seed Oil, Creatine, Sesamum Indicum Seed Oil/Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Lepidium Meyenii Root, 1,2-Hexanediol, Capryloyl Glycine, Citric Acid.

Maca Root & Aloe Softening Shaving Cream:

Aqua/Water/Eau, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenethyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Creatine, Sesamum Indicum Seed Oil/Sesame Seed Oil, Bertholletia Excelsa Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Lepidium Meyenii Root, Citric Acid, 1,2-Hexanediol, Capryloyl Glycine.

Not sure why the first one (old formula) has double ingredients list...

Last edited by a moderator:

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
On my ingredient list it shows Aloe Barbadensis Gel in the old formula while the new one has Aloe Barbadrnsis Leaf Juice Powder. I’m no chemist but I would think a gel is a better form of aloe than a powder, but I could be wrong. It seems The Body Shop is trying to pull a marketing fast one here by suggesting that the addition of Aloe in the name means there wasn’t Aloe in the first formulation. Regardless, the original formula works really well and has risen to be one of my favorite creams. I haven’t tried the new one and since I now have two full tubs of the old one, I probably won’t try the new one. Would love to hear from those who have used both.

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
On my ingredient list it shows Aloe Barbadensis Gel in the old formula while the new one has Aloe Barbadrnsis Leaf Juice Powder. I’m no chemist but I would think a gel is a better form of aloe than a powder, but I could be wrong. It seems The Body Shop is trying to pull a marketing fast one here by suggesting that the addition of Aloe in the name means there wasn’t Aloe in the first formulation. Regardless, the original formula works really well and has risen to be one of my favorite creams. I haven’t tried the new one and since I now have two full tubs of the old one, I probably won’t try the new one. Would love to hear from those who have used both.
The powder allows you to really cram in a load of 'aloe'. You can get far higher loadings without negative impact on the bulk mixture versus a gel which has a (fairly) set concentration, density, viscosity etc. I'm pretty sure I read that the powder allows about 10x loading versus the concentration of 'aloe' in the gel, less water.

D

Deleted member 1881

Tried making a lather with my Yaqi 30mm synthetic for a test with the old formula.

Boy this is very sensitive to water ratio! I tried adding even more water than with any artisan soap and the lather broke down easily. However it remained slick as ice and the residual slickness was excellent. I do not believe that the price is fair in Greece, 13,50 euro. But I brought it from the UK with 10 euros. (8,50 pounds).

A cream made probably by Creighton's, the performance just excellent! The scent you all know is very mild but not unpleasant, to me of course.

R181

Grumpy old man
Tried the new formula Maca Root & Aloe in this mornings shave. I used an Omega boar brush to face lather it with and a straight razor to shave with. I did my normal 4 pass shave. I had a very enjoyable close comfortable shave.

I had no trouble identifying it as Maca Root by it's scent so that hasn't changed much if any. I do enjoy the scent so that is a plus. It lathered up easily and had plenty of slickness to it as did the old formula. The lather may not have been quite as voluminous as the old formula but perfectly fine. Overall I like it very much and will not miss the old formula as much as I did like it too.

My initial impression is that they did a good job with the new formula.

Bob

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Mine too as well.

But for the old tub.
Give me a cream with better residual slickness to go over & over the same spot and I will buy it.
The creams I use regularly have very good residual slickness. These creams are Trumper GFT, Maca Root and Aloe; and TOBS Avocado, Rose and Lavender. I recently bought a tub of T&H 1805, but haven’t used it yet; I’m hoping that it will have the same properties as my aforementioned favourite, especially since it is much more expensive than they are.

D

Deleted member 1881

The creams I use regularly have very good residual slickness. These creams are Trumper GFT, Maca Root and Aloe; and TOBS Avocado, Rose and Lavender. I recently bought a tub of T&H 1805, but haven’t used it yet; I’m hoping that it will have the same properties as my aforementioned favourite, especially since it is much more expensive than they are.
The Truefitt are excellent creams! The best performer is probably the ultimate comfort cream, but definitely you can't go wrong with the 1805.

tramal

Forum GOD!
Half an year or longer ago this cream was on discount in the 125ml tube (5€)..... I bought two of them. One is already empty. I like this cream. Old or new!