Bleeding without cutting myself - can you help?

fabfu

Noob
Hey guys

I'm a wet shaver for about 2 years now, and I still struggle with the same issue. When I shave against the grain after doing a pass with the grain, multiple spots on my neck and chin start bleeding even though I'm not cutting myself. I can also see that after the pass, the hair isn't really cut off cleanly. This happens particularly often when I shave every 3 days or so. When I wait 1 week after shaving again, this problem does not occur that often.

I think that my skin can't handle the strain of shaving regularly (every 2-3 days), so it spontaneously starts bleeding. This is kind of frustrating for me, as I don't want to wait 1 week until I can shave again without having my neck bleeding. Do you guys know this problem, and is there any hope of dealing with it by doing a proper pre-shave or after-shave? Maybe my skin is just like this, this would be unfortunate.

I currently use the KOSMO safety razor from Mühle and different blades (Feather, Astra, Treet, Derby ...). As a pre-shave lotion, I use the hydrating pre-shave lotion from Edwin Jagger. As an after-shave lotion, I use the Sensitive After Shave Balm from Nivea.

I hope you can help me or just share your own experiences with me.
Have a nice day!

Cheekee

Forum GOD!
I found going diagonally against the grain instead really helps with this. Map you're growth on your neck and use really short strokes diagonally after doing the WTG pass.

Cheekee

Forum GOD!
Also change the angle slightly to maybe more riding the cap with you're strokes. Make sure you're lathers are well hydrated. I'm over 3 years in and only recently found having a wetter brush makes such better lathers for me.

Vacumatic

Testy
My sympathies.

I don't have your problem, I shave each morning, I don't have cuts and my skin doesn't bleed.

Some suggestions, a hot wash with a good quality soap and a thorough rinse with hot water.

A good shaving cream lathered in a bowl and applied to your skin. Use a mild razor and a sharp blade. Use minimal pressure, perhaps hold the razor closer to the head.

Take your time, gentle strokes.

Thoroughly rinse, pat dry. I dont do a cold water rinse but that might help.

Personally I wouldn't use after after shave either, just a moisturising cream, even something as simple as baby lotion. Rub it into your skin.

I dont know your razor, is it mild or aggressive?

A tip that I learned from Toby was to use a little bottled water in the shaving bowl, it produces a needed creamy lather.

R181

Grumpy old man
Also change the angle slightly to maybe more riding the cap with you're strokes. Make sure you're lathers are well hydrated. I'm over 3 years in and only recently found having a wetter brush makes such better lathers for me.
I'll second that. If you don't get the angle right, you are more scraping the hair off than cutting it. That and the right amount of water in a lather are probably the two most important elements in getting a good comfortable and close shave.

Bob

chazt

Forum !
Agreed with the above suggestions. I’ll offer a few more..

1, use a lighter touch (try to use zero pressure - impossible, but try)
2, don’t shave against the grain
3, try a known mild razor such as a Gillette Tech
4, experiment with other blades and slicker soaps
5, try using cold tap water for everything; pre-wash, lathering, rinsing

Good luck :okay: Let us know how it goes.

Vacumatic

Testy

Good advice, especially the use of a Gillette Tech.

fabfu

Noob
Thank you, I will try to have my lather more hydrated

fabfu

Noob
My sympathies.

I don't have your problem, I shave each morning, I don't have cuts and my skin doesn't bleed.

Some suggestions, a hot wash with a good quality soap and a thorough rinse with hot water.

A good shaving cream lathered in a bowl and applied to your skin. Use a mild razor and a sharp blade. Use minimal pressure, perhaps hold the razor closer to the head.

Take your time, gentle strokes.

Thoroughly rinse, pat dry. I dont do a cold water rinse but that might help.

Personally I wouldn't use after after shave either, just a moisturising cream, even something as simple as baby lotion. Rub it into your skin.

I dont know your razor, is it mild or aggressive?

A tip that I learned from Toby was to use a little bottled water in the shaving bowl, it produces a needed creamy lather.
Thank you for your good tips! I never used another razor, but I think it is not very agressive, just an average one. I will defenitely try to use less force

fabfu

Noob

Thank you very much! Do you have any suggestions for a mild razor that is not too pricy? I‘ve also thought about getting a razor with an open comb, would this maybe help?

UKRob

Forum GOD!
If you try the suggestions above - but the problem still persists, then you have to accept that your beard growth will not sustain ATG. So, maybe a couple of WTG passes to get as close as possible without discomfort is the best you can hope for.

Vacumatic

Testy
Thank you very much! Do you have any suggestions for a mild razor that is not too pricy? I‘ve also thought about getting a razor with an open comb, would this maybe help?
The Gillette Tech may suit you very well, it is very mild and could be very low priced, mine cost me £10. Another option is the black Wilkinson razor, very mild and would cost about £5 including 5 blades. there is also a twist to open Wilkinson razor which costs around £12-15.

All are mild and good value. Be wary of untested reviewers who suggest that the razor under review is mild, I bought a Parker 96 with such a review, anything but mild.

I don't know where you are in the world but the Tech can sometimes be found in Charity Shops as part of a leather travel set, often unused and not a lot of money.

Sami

Forum GOD!
As many already mentioned a good preparation a preshave no pressure what so ever also mapping the hair growth and perhaps dont go against the grain directly but rather somewhat diagonal and with an extremely light touch and dont shave the same spot without lather on it i believe all these points have been mentioned but im sure this will help a lot and if not try replacing the against the grain pass with another across the grain.

About a mild razor keep in mind with a mild razor you tend to go over the same spot again and again wich may result in razor burn or micro cuts unless you could try and experiment and pair a mild razor with a sharp and smooth blade and see how that works out.

Last edited:

TobyC

Patriot
Hot shower before shave. The hairs push the skin up a it grows out and you're cutting the bumps off. Shower and face wash releases the tension between the hair and skin letting it flatten out. Or you may have to not shave against the grain.

chazt

Forum !
The last time I looked, a Gillette Tech was easily found for $20, sometimes more, sometimes less. The mildest open comb razor I’ve ever used is a Merkur. It’s milder and less aggressive than countless other open comb and solid bar razors.

Have you noticed? The most common bit of advice is stop shaving against the grain.