Blackland Adjustable DE Razor

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
This razor is entirely designed from scratch as a separate platform and doesn't share any geometry with the Blackbird.

Like all of our razors, there will be knockoffs. But we're hoping that giving you guys a behind-the-scenes look is a net positive. So do us a solid and support the original innovation so we can build in public like this again.
 

Nav

Forum GOD!
I loved it when I had longer than normal stubble but found it too much on a daily basis. However I’ve not tried the Lite and I think an adjustable may make it one for everyone. However as with most adjustables I generally find a setting or two I like and stick with them rarely going to either extreme on the dial.
Same here. I find my ideal setting and stick to it. The benefit for me is basically the ability to dial in the perfect setting.

You definitely should try the lite. Many guys I know are loving it, where the standard was too much for them.
For my daily 4 pass shave though, the standard blackbird reigns supreme!
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
This is a really good project. @Blackland Razors to address the wobbling issues, maybe consider dropping the sliding sides (Gibbs style) and have instead 2x internal pins either side of the central hole. Cons: more CNC machining, tight tolerances on the pins and potential binding issues?

View attachment 130329
We did this exact thing. Wait a couple weeks for Part 2 to see how it worked out.

There are two causes for wobble: the rotational joint between top plate/knob and the threaded joint between bottom plate/knob. The first cause doesn't matter all that much because it's solved when the razor is assembled with the top cap by design. We'd like to reduce it for aesthetics, but it's a nonissue for performance. There will always be some wobble here when the razor is disassembled. The second cause is important because when assembled, the bottom plate could still wobble relative to the knob if you press up on the base plate. That's not good for performance. The good news is that this wobble cause is easily fixed via tighter tolerances to reduce extra room in those threads.
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
A cheeky little support shoulder on top? Needs shifting the spring down a bit to have enough stroke

View attachment 130336
This series is a kind of tough because in real time we’re a few weeks ahead. So many of the problems have already been resolved. The wobble doesn’t really require much of a fix anyway because it will never be eliminated fully and isn’t a functional problem.
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I'd like to see in the next videos
• how the machanism works
• how to disassemble it to clean
Hoping the handle will be 1:1 balanced with head weight
I responded to this on Reddit so I’ll copy/paste here for the ATG crew.


I think the mechanism is explained pretty well in Part 1, but we may add more detail as the series progresses.

Cleaning isn’t bad, particularly for newer versions. The customer won’t readily be able to disassemble fully.

1:1 weight isn’t necessarily ideal so I won’t promise that, but proper balance and hand feel is important.
 

carbold

Carlo
Regarding the disassembling, I’d be interested to know how easy it is to detach the top plate from the knob. That circlip seems buried inside the top plate.
 
Top