Blackland Adjustable DE Razor

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
The handles look shorter (and better for it) in these photos than they do on the website, and I think it looks more elegant and less fussy in these photos too, both good things in my opinion.
I agree. It seemed a bit longer on their presentation photos & website but, it looks much, much better in person and feels equally as good in the hands. Balance in hand is slightly geared towards the head with the Brass insert in place. Feels substantial but, not overly so. It feels like a Blackland product should. Robust, precision and quality just like everything else in their stable of products. On aesthetics alone, I’m more than satisfied. Shave pedigree & performance is coming up next and that’s what matters the most… :cheers:
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
The handles look shorter (and better for it) in these photos than they do on the website, and I think it looks more elegant and less fussy in these photos too, both good things in my opinion.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
 

2LabDad

Forum GOD!
Received mine today.... will do a short review tomorrow morning. FYI to all, the metal work is exemplary. One item I noticed - the vertical cuts in the handle allowing you to see the brass insert might be "a tad bit sharp"...... just so you know in advance. I'm going to smooth mine out some cause I can see myself getting cut..... just my opinion and I AM NOT trying to criticize the razor. I also played with it at the office this afternoon and the adjustments and mechanics are tight and solid! Great job Blackland! And congrats on the Above the Tie deal.
 

2LabDad

Forum GOD!
Brief Review: Blackland Osprey

Ok, shaved with my new Osprey this morning and I really am pleased with it. Fit and finish are top notch. I used a Gillette Platinum blade and it was a very very smooth shave. Very little blade feel at all - which I really like. I shaved at setting 4.5 - I figured split the difference and try the middle ground first. I'll be taking it up to a 5.5 next time as my thick and coarse beard prefers more aggressive razors and I only shave 3x per week. The adjustments and mechanics are very smooth and solid feeling. I'm declaring this one a winner and a keeper now and not waiting for another few shaves. A few observations: (1) razor is hefty - do not know the weight but feels much heaver that the Taiga or Muramasa and (2) the vertical cuts / windows in the handle are somewhat sharp - I think you'd have to work hard at it to actually cut yourself but in my opinion, then need to be smoothed down a bit - again, not a major issue just an observation. All in all, I really like and will be using it exclusively for the next few weeks. Going to try it out with the Feather and Personas next few shaves.
 

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
I was not going to shave with the Osprey until the weekend as I wanted to put in a few shaves with some vintage Gillette Tech’s that I‘ve acquired recently but, I said “self, those Gillette Tech’s aren’t going anywhere, don’t be a pansy and get on with it.” I must say, self had a point.

So, this will not be extensive nor detailed just a quick shave report and a couple of observations from my perspective. As many here and across multiple forums have stated about the Osprey, quality, fit, finish and feel are world class and perhaps might have even set a new standard of those attributes for the house of Blackland and its extensive stable of razors. That’s no small feat as Shane & his team have come up with some of the more modern/contemporary razors in the post 2000 era that scream iconic and outside the box execution. One will never confuse a Blackbird, Sabre or Vector with anything else out there today. There are pretenders but, that’s all they are, pretenders. All right, enough brownie smooching.

Knob adjustment has a nice solid feel to it with good tension/resistance. Might be a little too much for some but, it works nicely for me. Installing a blade, making adjustments, unscrewing the handle, more adjustments and retightening was a bit off for me but, I’ll get it down with more use as I get familiar with what setting(s) I prefer. Nothing difficult to do, just one getting accustomed to a new way of doing things with an adjustable. A new Feather was installed and I just set it at 5 and left it there for the whole shave. Excellent 3 pass shave that had me at DFS in two. I chased the baby with a 3rd and it was fantastic. 3 tiny weepers on the chin and not an iota of irritation or discomfort to speak of. The handle felt great in the hands and somehow the hollowed out handle allowed my digits to seat comfortably within the recesses of those cutouts providing very good grip and tactile feel. Blade feel was minimal at the 5 setting yet it removed whiskers with ease and effective efficiency. To my minds eye, think shave feel of a Gillette Tech with cutting ability of an RR GC .84 SB or somewhere thereabouts. It’s not a loud singer but, it hums nicely on each stroke and one can hear those whiskers being cut while being smooth & comfy simultaneously. Early peeve? I wish the numbers were filled in black. It helps my poor sad eyes….

I want to point out something very quickly as I have come across a couple of critiques about the adjustment mechanism. On a social media forum a couple of shavers reported that their Ospreys would not adjust past the 8 marker once the razor was submerged in hot water to get some heat into the razor. Prior to them doing so, the razor went through a complete range of motion adjustment without an issue. Personally, I did not experience any such thing as my Osprey went through the range of motions on the adjuster both hot & cold, before and after the shave. An anomaly with those particular shavers? Don’t know but, I figured I’d mention it here. I say that because some of those forums and members can be a little suspect especially the more known social media sites. There are those that might have ulterior motives and again, they could be legit issues or concerns. Just reporting experiences from others that I can’t confirm, nothing more.

Excellent first start and on initial feel & performance, this has meet and far exceeded what I was expecting. Time and further use will tell how it compares with the other “Elite Adjustables” in the market today. For now, heck of a start for me.

Great shaves to all…

6938B19D-7C8A-4F39-B898-CF89DCE95FC0.jpeg


A few pics with gap size and the relative blade reveal vs actual gap visual. My apologies for the crappy pics…

29FE5660-06FB-4B94-B641-8363CD69E7CB.jpeg


2DDD1D9E-5D82-43B2-858F-7DF59896D9E7.jpeg

68D54CD5-7554-412C-A648-D3C83ADCB310.jpeg

0A6F83A0-2D8D-4804-9D7E-E0100A9A596D.jpeg
 

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
This will be brief. I debated on the Vintage Gillette Tech’s, the arrival of my Wolfman Alum Guerilla plates or the Blackland Osprey. I went with the Osprey and I’m glad I did. The same Feather from the first shave and an uptick to gap size #7. I built my lather and what followed was a sensational 2.5 pass shave that was uber comfortable with no irritation or weepers anywhere. The Feather had a bit more feel on #7 than it did on #5 from the 1st shave but, it was exceptionally smooth with just a tad bit more cutting prowess which I welcomed immediately. Superb shave really as I have no need to add more to it. The Osprey brought its A-Game in that setting for me and I loved every single cutting stroke. I’m going to try the Osprey at full tilt the next time I shave with it, at least 3-4 days of whiskers and see what it produces. I just need to fight the urge to try the other razors that are waiting and screaming at me every time I walk by my shave den. “Try me! Try me!” is all I keep hearing. You know what I mean? Yes? No??

A quick word on the soap that I used. If you like vetiver that is clean & crisp that carries a professional yet gentlemanly air about it, Yetivert by Ethos is as good as it gets. F base formula that produced an intoxicating lather that was rich, dense & yet light with that gorgeous Vetiver aroma and a dash of bright citrus accords. Phenomenal and addicting with performance to match. The skin food splash is just icing on the cake. Great stuff.

Great shaves with your Osprey & any other razor you might have …..

512F40C6-AA5A-42C0-BF9B-6C523092DC80.jpeg
 

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Ok, let’s lay it out and bring the full players into the game. Osprey by Blackland, Gillette Minora(1), WSP Mahogany Formula T, Graydog 26mm Badger Chechen, Proraso Red Sandalo after shave & Blackstone Matte Black edt. I have 4 days worth of whiskers to work with and I’m aiming to see if it can give me a DFS/BBS finish in two. Fingers crossed.

Was thinking about staying with the Feather but, it was going to be its third use and I have been getting some inconsistent blades from this particular tuck that I opened a couple weeks back. Decided to go with a tried & true Gillette Minora that almost equals the Feather in sharpness but, runs circles around it in terms of smoothness & reliability. Thick, rich lather from the WSP Mahogany and the Badger painted on some lovely suds for the first pass. Before I go on with the shave, I need to let those that are curious that I opened up the Osprey to the max setting, which is almost about 9.75 and maybe even 10 on the dial. I posted a few pics to try and give you the best look but, an IPhone though good with pics is not the best. But, if you look close enough or blow up the pics, you’ll see where the Osprey maxed out at.

First WTG pass was on and from the first stroke, this pup meant business. Blade feel is nicely amped up from the last setting of 7 on my last shave but, not much loss in smoothness. The feel is very good and so is the sound as it gave a bit more audible feedback. The first 2-3 strokes I adjusted trying to find the sweet spot where I can maintain cutting effectiveness while simultaneously trying to feed in a somewhat comfy arrangement. Towards the cap, I got more blade feel and just a tab bit of harshness than I did at neutral. I slightly brought the handle down past the neutral zone towards the safety bar and I hit my spot. Not on the bar but, close and it was a very nice and smooth action. Still plenty of blade feel but, in no way was it an intimidating process. Whiskers were brought down quickly and very efficiently to skin level. The weight helps tremendously here and a soft touch with NO pressure needed and it sings beautifully. Not loud but, nice and very noticeable. The Minora was as always up to the task with a very smooth feel and cutting ability. Nice pair these two. Done with the first pass and had a quick cold water splash. A quick look and feel, no weepers or red dots anywhere. Onto pass two.

Brought the setting down to 8.5 and went ATG. It was really an amazing pass as I went a bit slower with deliberate action as there is still good blade feel and a mishap will draw blood in an instant. It’s not a mild razor at these settings. Not Ikon Tech like but, Timeless .95 to Muhle R41 or even the Rocnel Sailor on 5.5 to 6. Need to do a shave off to really compare but, it’s in that territory. South to North starting at the bottom of Sir Adam with some nice skin stretching and the Osprey plowed through the whiskers with authority and relative comfort. It was smooth yet, it let you know that there’s a cold piece of sharpened steel in there lurking and waiting for a lapse in thought. The Osprey though kept it in check and not a single mishap once I was done with pass #2. A quick face rinse and feel and I was at DFS+ with just the tiniest amount of stragglers along the jawline and two small patches on the left of the Adam’s Apple and a corner of my chin to my right. Relathered and went for a quick seek & cut/buff maneuver while bringing the setting down to about 4.5. Man, that was an awesome shave that left me at baby buttocks on both face & neck. Splash & alum pass and I got the slightest of heat right on the chin where I worked to remove that stubborn patch. Everywhere else though was clean as a whistle with no disturbance, weepers or irritation of any kind. Very satisfying shave and one that told me that the Osprey can play with the big boys if you want big gap & blade feel rules in the game. The Proraso sealed the deal & a quick spritz or two from the edt and it was a wrap.

What do I think? Honestly, it’s still very early in my shave journey with the Osprey with just only this being my third shave with it but, these three shaves have given me a good idea on how it will work from setting 1-9. Granted, I haven’t fine tuned it for my specific routine and likes but, I see no issue with this razor giving me excellent shaves to rival some of the best adjustables in my den. There’s enough range in the Osprey from my initial findings and experience to undoubtedly say that a far majority of wetshavers out there can and will find their settings and feel totally confident that it will deliver a comfortable yet efficient shave without an issue. A true beginner can pick this up and totally get up to speed with it as the learning curve is not that difficult at all. Start low and go from there. For the veteran wet shaver this razor will provide excellent options on their needs for that particular shave day whether daily or multiple day shaving. And the ultra performance shave must have blade feel seeker there is more than enough to satisfy as well once one gets past setting 7. It gives direct feel and tells you what that blade is doing against the skin effectively while still exhibiting relative comfort in the upper ranges. Will max be useful for most? Absolutely not! If you hear anyone telling you that the Osprey is not efficient enough or lacks cutting prowess, then there are two things you need to consider here. Either the individual is a direct descendant of Bigfoot or the missing link to the Neanderthal lineage or, is merely talking about a razor that he’s never even used or held. Yes, they’re talking big poop, seriously. And Gent’s, we know there are plenty of haters out there so, use a big helping of salt if you happen to run across a statement or review that portrays the Blackland Osprey as an inadequate tool for the Grizzly Adams of the world. Personally, I might never see this razor past 7 to 7.5 but, it’s nice to know that it can bring some extra teeth and grunt if you happen to need it and feel a bit adventurous. For the rest of us mortals it will suffice and will kick ass whenever you need it to. Balance is slightly geared towards the head but, the feel in hand is great. Turning the adjustment dial and removing the handle just gets easier every time I use it. Tactile feel and grip is excellent for not offering any knurling or a micro-grainy like feel. The razor rinses and cleans up with ease and though I might need an extra minute to get it all cleaned up and dry, I love doing it while looking at this marvelously created tool. Caveat? I would prefer black numbers with a deeper etching of those numbers so my eyes can pick it up easier but, not a deal breaker in the least. Just a minor preference. On my end, more shaves are required to fine tune but, this thing isn’t going anywhere. Guaranteed.

Great shaves to all….

B4409BEE-88F6-4A68-AE4F-84D692989FF2.jpeg


Apologies for the crappy close ups Gents.

D4575911-5184-4AC6-BFB9-A1B8C00F04B2.jpeg

441706D1-CAA5-476D-AC4E-6B1098B3607D.jpeg

ACAA6E90-1220-4BBD-9BDA-94EADBA03CD2.jpeg
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Ok, let’s lay it out and bring the full players into the game. Osprey by Blackland, Gillette Minora(1), WSP Mahogany Formula T, Graydog 26mm Badger Chechen, Proraso Red Sandalo after shave & Blackstone Matte Black edt. I have 4 days worth of whiskers to work with and I’m aiming to see if it can give me a DFS/BBS finish in two. Fingers crossed.

Was thinking about staying with the Feather but, it was going to be its third use and I have been getting some inconsistent blades from this particular tuck that I opened a couple weeks back. Decided to go with a tried & true Gillette Minora that almost equals the Feather in sharpness but, runs circles around it in terms of smoothness & reliability. Thick, rich lather from the WSP Mahogany and the Badger painted on some lovely suds for the first pass. Before I go on with the shave, I need to let those that are curious that I opened up the Osprey to the max setting, which is almost about 9.75 and maybe even 10 on the dial. I posted a few pics to try and give you the best look but, an IPhone though good with pics is not the best. But, if you look close enough or blow up the pics, you’ll see where the Osprey maxed out at.

First WTG pass was on and from the first stroke, this pup meant business. Blade feel is nicely amped up from the last setting of 7 on my last shave but, not much loss in smoothness. The feel is very good and so is the sound as it gave a bit more audible feedback. The first 2-3 strokes I adjusted trying to find the sweet spot where I can maintain cutting effectiveness while simultaneously trying to feed in a somewhat comfy arrangement. Towards the cap, I got more blade feel and just a tab bit of harshness than I did at neutral. I slightly brought the handle down past the neutral zone towards the safety bar and I hit my spot. Not on the bar but, close and it was a very nice and smooth action. Still plenty of blade feel but, in no way was it an intimidating process. Whiskers were brought down quickly and very efficiently to skin level. The weight helps tremendously here and a soft touch with NO pressure needed and it sings beautifully. Not loud but, nice and very noticeable. The Minora was as always up to the task with a very smooth feel and cutting ability. Nice pair these two. Done with the first pass and had a quick cold water splash. A quick look and feel, no weepers or red dots anywhere. Onto pass two.

Brought the setting down to 8.5 and went ATG. It was really an amazing pass as I went a bit slower with deliberate action as there is still good blade feel and a mishap will draw blood in an instant. It’s not a mild razor at these settings. Not Ikon Tech like but, Timeless .95 to Muhle R41 or even the Rocnel Sailor on 5.5 to 6. Need to do a shave off to really compare but, it’s in that territory. South to North starting at the bottom of Sir Adam with some nice skin stretching and the Osprey plowed through the whiskers with authority and relative comfort. It was smooth yet, it let you know that there’s a cold piece of sharpened steel in there lurking and waiting for a lapse in thought. The Osprey though kept it in check and not a single mishap once I was done with pass #2. A quick face rinse and feel and I was at DFS+ with just the tiniest amount of stragglers along the jawline and two small patches on the left of the Adam’s Apple and a corner of my chin to my right. Relathered and went for a quick seek & cut/buff maneuver while bringing the setting down to about 4.5. Man, that was an awesome shave that left me at baby buttocks on both face & neck. Splash & alum pass and I got the slightest of heat right on the chin where I worked to remove that stubborn patch. Everywhere else though was clean as a whistle with no disturbance, weepers or irritation of any kind. Very satisfying shave and one that told me that the Osprey can play with the big boys if you want big gap & blade feel rules in the game. The Proraso sealed the deal & a quick spritz or two from the edt and it was a wrap.

What do I think? Honestly, it’s still very early in my shave journey with the Osprey with just only this being my third shave with it but, these three shaves have given me a good idea on how it will work from setting 1-9. Granted, I haven’t fine tuned it for my specific routine and likes but, I see no issue with this razor giving me excellent shaves to rival some of the best adjustables in my den. There’s enough range in the Osprey from my initial findings and experience to undoubtedly say that a far majority of wetshavers out there can and will find their settings and feel totally confident that it will deliver a comfortable yet efficient shave without an issue. A true beginner can pick this up and totally get up to speed with it as the learning curve is not that difficult at all. Start low and go from there. For the veteran wet shaver this razor will provide excellent options on their needs for that particular shave day whether daily or multiple day shaving. And the ultra performance shave must have blade feel seeker there is more than enough to satisfy as well once one gets past setting 7. It gives direct feel and tells you what that blade is doing against the skin effectively while still exhibiting relative comfort in the upper ranges. Will max be useful for most? Absolutely not! If you hear anyone telling you that the Osprey is not efficient enough or lacks cutting prowess, then there are two things you need to consider here. Either the individual is a direct descendant of Bigfoot or the missing link to the Neanderthal lineage or, is merely talking about a razor that he’s never even used or held. Yes, they’re talking big poop, seriously. And Gent’s, we know there are plenty of haters out there so, use a big helping of salt if you happen to run across a statement or review that portrays the Blackland Osprey as an inadequate tool for the Grizzly Adams of the world. Personally, I might never see this razor past 7 to 7.5 but, it’s nice to know that it can bring some extra teeth and grunt if you happen to need it and feel a bit adventurous. For the rest of us mortals it will suffice and will kick ass whenever you need it to. Balance is slightly geared towards the head but, the feel in hand is great. Turning the adjustment dial and removing the handle just gets easier every time I use it. Tactile feel and grip is excellent for not offering any knurling or a micro-grainy like feel. The razor rinses and cleans up with ease and though I might need an extra minute to get it all cleaned up and dry, I love doing it while looking at this marvelously created tool. Caveat? I would prefer black numbers with a deeper etching of those numbers so my eyes can pick it up easier but, not a deal breaker in the least. Just a minor preference. On my end, more shaves are required to fine tune but, this thing isn’t going anywhere. Guaranteed.

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 140995

Apologies for the crappy close ups Gents.

View attachment 140997
View attachment 140996
View attachment 140998
I concur completely, 4 shaves in and 6 to 7.5 is perfect. The higher levels are not for me and I like that territory!
 
Top