Blackbird safety razor

Wonderful razors! Was a big fan when it was first released on account of it's unique look but when I finally shaved with one.. WOW!!!
It's what I used for my last shave..I have two and now I am excited to hear that Shane will be releasing new offerings..but disappointed that my bank balance will suffer.
 
Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
My SB plate arrived very promptly and I hadn’t shaved for 5 days so I gave it a real test. It was wonderful one of the best shaves I have enjoyed in a long time. Paired with a Shark blade it gave me a shave as good as I have ever had. Super smooth and not a single piece of stubble could be felt after the shave.
The BB joins a small band of razors I own that just do the job so well. The Asylum Evo, Muhle Rocca and BB are the very best I own. Its a must try razor for any enthusiast.
 

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
My SB plate arrived very promptly and I hadn’t shaved for 5 days so I gave it a real test. It was wonderful one of the best shaves I have enjoyed in a long time. Paired with a Shark blade it gave me a shave as good as I have ever had. Super smooth and not a single piece of stubble could be felt after the shave.
The BB joins a small band of razors I own that just do the job so well. The Asylum Evo, Muhle Rocca and BB are the very best I own. Its a must try razor for any enthusiast.
Great to hear, Wayne. Do you prefer it to the OC? Did you get stung at this end on the plate?
 

missingskin

Forum GOD!
Glad to hear you like the plate Wayne. I find the SB almost sucks the skin when shaving, a vacuum effect if you like. As efficient as the Wolfman and BBS-1 and very comfortable.
It's amazing how the same razor can have polar opposites on 2 different people. I have a Ver 1 and I find it leaves me feeling skinned, yet the BBS and now the Charcoal give me a close shave with none of the drama's.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
It's amazing how the same razor can have polar opposites on 2 different people. I have a Ver 1 and I find it leaves me feeling skinned, yet the BBS and now the Charcoal give me a close shave with none of the drama's.
Agreed. I could be wrong but I think it depends on perseverance and tolerance. For example I could not get along with the BB OC. I put this down to the teeth shape. However I experienced similar with the ATT R2, having similar angular shaped teeth. The ATT R2 was one of a few SS razors available at that time, alongside the Ikon and PILS. So naturally more time was spent on learning the razor and eventually appreciating the correct angle, pressure and speed. With the plethora of SS razors available today one needs not to spend much time on a given razor but instead find the razor that suits them IMO. Going back to the R2. I haven't used it in approx 8 months, when I did use it I found it harsh and the teeth too angular again. I didn't bother practising angle and pressure again. It sits in my den till I can be bothered to do so.
 

missingskin

Forum GOD!
I agree, I have been using a razor for a month at a time with the same blades, soap and brush so I can get used to them. I figure a month is long enough to figure out if the razor is working for me or not. So far the Blackbird is the only one that I have decided to part with, I even tried the longer handle. On a plus point I have finished a soap off , well one more shave will.......:)
So it is on ebay and not selling............think the market has gone quiet, maybe everyone is still skint after Christmas !!
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I agree with Nishy that one no longer needs to persevere with a particular razor until you learn to get the best from it. If it doesn't suit from the off then BST it and move on to the next one. I could not get on with the Timeless no matter the blade, angle or pressure I had to get rid of it which irked me as it is undoubtedly a lovely looking thing. Sometimes you just never get the best from a razor and moving it on is the best thing to do. Personally I'm finding a preference for more aggressive razors these days I prefer two more aggressive passes to three or four milder ones as I have found my skin tolerates getting the shave over with better than having to go over and over the same area several times. YMMV as always applies.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
You know how I love to play devil's advocate. Well I have found one exception to the above. When going back to a razor after a significant amount of time, it can transform from Jekyll to Hyde. This is what makes this hobby so versatile.
 
Top