Bay Rum: Back to Basics

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I'm giving @Bigboar a prod and a big hand of respect for his efforts and generosity in the area of Bay Rums ... me? I'm a little more selfish as I brew for myself, but I can offer some insight into how I do it. It might not be absolutely right and no doubt Greg does it right; I don't use the leaves, but take inspiration.

... and so, back to basics.

What is a Bay Rum? In it most basic sense, it's rum spiced with West Indian bay, splashed on liberally so the stink of a cross-Atlantic journey on a tall ship could be temporarily dispelled while you frequented the local drinking establishments and brothels of whatever port you just landed.

With the leaves not being native, nor that accessible in reality, we can still turn to inspirations all around to make up a good, fragrant brew that we'll enjoy splashing on after shaving.

Look to the internet ...

Get in a vial of Bay Rum oil. It will be steam distilled and carry all the scent you want in place of leaves. Beyond that, we read about lime, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, all manner of scented goodies going in. Yes, you could just get all those in oil form (and some retailers indeed do, some more obviously so than others as the liquor just separates) but it's more fun to steep. It's also fun to pick up on local and seasonal inspiration.

Previously, I've used clementine skins (from this time of year), cinnamon, ginger, lemon peel, the kind of smells you get at Christmas, drops of Bay Rum oil, rum, witch hazel and let it steep. I've used root ginger, I've used peppercorns, cloves, even done a sort of British example with gin, lime skins and juniper berries.

This year I've done things a little different ...

With a newfound appreciation of tea and a lovely visit to the glorious Betty's Tea Rooms on Christmas Eve, I now find myself with rum, Betty's Spice Christmas Tea, some cloves (check), witch hazel (check) and Bay Rum oil (check).

Woo! So, 200ml bottle, tablespoon of the spiced tea (a Chinese Congou tea, spiced with orange peel, lemon peel and cinnamon), 5 cloves, top up to the shoulder with Lamb's Navy Rum, 25 drops of Bay Rum oil and 10 drops of Cade oil. I love cade! This brew is dark and with the earthiness of the tea, I want it to be really tarry ... so the Cade oil went in. Topped up with witch hazel, I'll leave that for 2-3 months, shaking daily for the first couple of weeks, less frequently thereafter.

When it's strained off, I'll keep topping with witch hazel ... and might add a drop of glycerine.

Right, guys! Get brewing ...

wazza

a dog got personality
Good stuff. I've often thought about making some but never made the move. I've signed up for big boars bay rum, very generous, can't wait to try it.
What rum have you tried using?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Rum? It's Lamb's Navy Rum in the new batch ... I've used Cockspur before and Sainsbury's own.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
... as I could not resist, I had a little splash of the one I've just started. Ooh! It's going to be good! :D

There is something really different here: Tea. The tea itself is very low in flavour (hence it being a good choice for floral tea - Christmas Blend, Rose Congou, etc), yet it lends a really dark colour to the already dark rum. Furthermore, my inclusion of Cade oil brings a real oily tarriness to compliment the tea. Naturally, the rum and bay shines through still. It does want cutting back just a touch, so when it's strained it'll be just right for topping back up with witch hazel. I'll add a little glycerine in if I think it needs it once it's in rotation.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Hi pjgh
I just made up my 1st bottle of " bá rum " Irish Style.
Morgan's spiced 40% rum, cloves, a smidge of ground cardamom, Allspice & Mixed spice.
Some bay leaves (three varieties) a little of my personal Chai Tea mix with cinnamon, ginger, black pepper and cardamom.

Hopefully it will work.
I was even thinking of trying a Gin and Juniper berry with Marjoram.
Thanks for lighting the spark within me on this.
I will get back to you on these ideas.

Last edited:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Fingers crossed! Once steeped and strained, top up with witch hazel and see how it goes ... add a little glycerine if you feel the need.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Woo! First proper use of my tea infused Bay Rum and it's just lovely! Superb scent, decent sting without being over the top and nicely drying ... something I like in an aftershave. Lovely! I've called it Ching Shih in honour of the Chinese Pirate as the tea was Chinese.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Hi pjgh,
when it is ready do thin it out? and if so with what?
I will update on my batch later, it's only been 5 weeks since I bottled it.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I used as-is ... the alcohol is 40%, so with a smidge of witch hazel it's shy of 40%. Good enough for a splash and no need to be any higher.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Looking good! I started mine around the same time and I'm happily using it now ... I don't actually know what the best maturing times are, but I'm taking my cue from sailors of old: the sooner (schooner? :) ) the better ... let's splash it on, get on land and enjoy!