Aluminium Razors

thesuperiorshave

my dream's seeing a Pike Hard Ark wheel
Just some prototype cell pics, but in about 3-4 mos. Focus will have an aluminum 3pc DE coming out (to go with their 'Dynamic' aluminum SE), "R51", with three comb options - regular flat, concave as shown here, and a slant bar.

All production's in Milan, IT, and the headcap and screw is coming from one large piece of aluminum, so the screw can't really wear away.

I'm sure it'll be quite costly, but they're real good engineers and seems there's quite a lot of ultra high end DEs mentioned on the shaving boards nowadays, I'd be surprised if it were higher than them.

Attachments

thesuperiorshave

I've just shaved w/ the 'flat' prototype with a new Tiger Platinum (CZ-produced) blade.

That is, without doubt, the strangest DE I've ever used in my lifetime. I COULD NOT feel it working, I kept having to check with hands on the just-passed zone and sink to see if it was cutting, at some point I even flipped the guard bar around, just more and more pressure beyond anything you're used to doing with regular DE. Something along what I associated with how much I'd tug a Sensor Excel down my face in my youth.

Here's what I find tremendously odd about this razor compared to a common fixed most know like Gillette Super Speed/Mühle and Jagger #89/Merkur 34; with any of those if one wants to increase the aggression to the max ignoring variance of pressure, one brings the handle closer to the skin plane as it moves along (to the limit of physical interference of the handle or so much pressure under the guard bar that the skin doesn't get touched), while conversely to maximize mildness one angles toward head cap as much as possible to the point that it prevents the blade from touching.

With this new Focus DE, in my opinion that's the opposite of what you do; instead, angle the handle as far off the skin as possible, *and* push down to allow it to become 'aggressive' (heavens to Betsy, this is sure a relative term here).

I'll believe until someone could show me something more acute that the angle of incidence of blade to skin in this head the lowest of any razor using a conventional double edge blade.

This design covers the blade corners - you cannot shave with your blade corner. I do not recall seeing this on any DE. Surely must be some prior strange one that does this, anyone know?

I tried with my stereo binocular microscope to see if the blade edge exceeds the plane created by the bar-to-head bevel...it is hard to see because of those blade end covers. I really don't think it exceeds it, which would mean essentially the razor simply requires pressure!

Nonetheless, cut hair it did do just fine...press down by intent and absolutely nothing bad happens!

The 'stack height' of the head would be the best I've ever seen for getting under the nose, if only you'd shave with the handle in a conventional position. I'll have to try and speak with the engineer (doesn't speak much English so hopefully at tradeshow a translator near), as what I wish to know is if [like their aluminum shavette razors] is one supposed to lay that little plane on the head completely down on the skin. If so, that'd make it much different than a normal DE where your null position of the handle is more or less pointing to Earth. But their 'Dynamic' model with pivoting head using 1/2 the regular DE blade is a super strange piece, too, as you must *push* toward the *top* of the head while it is moving on the skin to get its best (that's how the pivot's engaged), so perhaps that is the design here. I don't find Dynamic easy around the nose bottom, either, but I can't say I find many razors easy for that [there's a smushed down old Feather 3pc traveller that's probably the best I've seen for this].

I now have in middle age a bonafide harsh beard all 'round the mustache/goatee zone; it is noisy no matter how prep it gets, and sandy again in <12hrs easily. This is not a razor I can use in the traditional handle position + pressure to get close enough to please me with a DE (which I hold to a higher standard in that area, admittedly with a small expectation of mild irritation, in exchange for that closeness), not with this head paired with that gentle Czech blade. Perhaps with a Feather/Astra or with the forthcoming more aggressive 'twisted' guard bar model due soon, I could use it in the regular position. I had to angle the handle such that that plane was flush and go over and over the tough zones, varying the pressure, until the 'checking hand' confirmed a baby's rear closeness. It isn't a similar ergonomic experience of the same approach with the 'Dynamic' as there your handle's sort of the regular position and the change in angle's down with the pivot.

So much like Dynamic, this is a razor I cannot use quickly as another DE or a cartridge, but I can do repeated passes for a maximum level of closeness with zero irritation - which is impossible for me with other DEs or cartridges.

Tempted to take one of the 'mild' to my legs, if only that wasn't limited in feeling pleasant afterwards for all of one day.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Above the Tie is having a YE Closeout sale. The limited editions in "Blue" aluminum 30% off.
I bought one - H1 plate is aggressive
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 4.16.16 PM.png

thesuperiorshave

The finished production spec pcs arrived of Focus R51/52/53 today, I'll presume soon Connaught will have for UK soon.

51 = mild with flat head, 52 = concaved head for aggressive shave, 53 a slant and supposed to be very aggressive.

Having found 52 quite indeed the aggressor it'll take some future liquid courage for me to take on 53; I do have a Merkur 37c laying about for yrs and never found it remotely as aggressive as Mühle R41 or a Merkur Futur/Vision at large gap, but given the 52's abilities I must approach with caution.

I like how w/ the 51 you can press down all you want and nothing bad happens at all yet it is shaving me consistently remarkably close/comfy with a 3-pass effort.

Here's precisely what the finished pcs will look like beyond anodized color choices and the "FOCUS" they'll assuredly say somewhere {like on head cap or down the handles}.

focusr52headcloseup1.JPGfocusr53headcloseup1.JPGfocusr515253.03.JPGfocusr515253.04.JPGR51.jpg

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Hope the anodyzing is done well. There was an older model aluminium razor that caught my eye — forgot the name of the company, but it is the Spanish one — but the anodized colourful later apparently chips really easily, so had to pass.

p.b

Forum GOD!
The finished production spec pcs arrived of Focus R51/52/53 today, I'll presume soon Connaught will have for UK soon.

51 = mild with flat head, 52 = concaved head for aggressive shave, 53 a slant and supposed to be very aggressive.

Having found 52 quite indeed the aggressor it'll take some future liquid courage for me to take on 53; I do have a Merkur 37c laying about for yrs and never found it remotely as aggressive as Mühle R41 or a Merkur Futur/Vision at large gap, but given the 52's abilities I must approach with caution.

I like how w/ the 51 you can press down all you want and nothing bad happens at all yet it is shaving me consistently remarkably close/comfy with a 3-pass effort.

Here's precisely what the finished pcs will look like beyond anodized color choices and the "FOCUS" they'll assuredly say somewhere {like on head cap or down the handles}.

View attachment 63816View attachment 63817View attachment 63818View attachment 63819View attachment 63820
they look great - I'm looking forward to seeing them available in the UK. With Aluminium they won't weigh too much AND they're reasonably priced.

thesuperiorshave

Hope the anodyzing is done well. There was an older model aluminium razor that caught my eye — forgot the name of the company, but it is the Spanish one — but the anodized colourful later apparently chips really easily, so had to pass.
we've sold hundreds of their other colored aluminum pcs and never seen or heard of it happening, including a barber who used a R28 daily for yrs and wore the internal bits down to the bone with hilarious pics, but the gold looked as new. If the middle pieces were colored I could see that being a problem but I think the headcaps and stems offer no more exposure than current stuff. We'd always thought the plain alum would sell best because of this but that wasn't the case as it turned out, I guess ppl find the plain to be boring (I like austere/cold things, so it works for me).

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
we've sold hundreds of their other colored aluminum pcs and never seen or heard of it happening, including a barber who used a R28 daily for yrs and wore the internal bits down to the bone with hilarious pics, but the gold looked as new. If the middle pieces were colored I could see that being a problem but I think the headcaps and stems offer no more exposure than current stuff. We'd always thought the plain alum would sell best because of this but that wasn't the case as it turned out, I guess ppl find the plain to be boring (I like austere/cold things, so it works for me).
Good to know. Thanks! For me, if aluminium, have to go colored. I have enough plain stainless steel.