Alum block

Wayne

Forum Sod
Nope! I have had one but these days I don't see the point, same with Witch Hazel. The soaps are usually so slick now razor burn is for me a thing of the past.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Another vote for using it as a deodorant, never seen the point in using it post-shave.
All my life, I,m 67, I have had oily skin and the pimples that never really left totally. When I started shaving with a straight razor, not too long ago, for some reason decided to use alum for the first time. Since then my face has cleared up to the point where oily skin and pimples are no longer a problem. I just carry on using it for that reason. That and being an astringent alum tightens up this old saggy visage, at least temporarily. :D

Bob
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
All my life, I,m 67, I have had oily skin and the pimples that never really left totally. When I started shaving with a straight razor, not too long ago, for some reason decided to use alum for the first time. Since then my face has cleared up to the point where oily skin and pimples are no longer a problem. I just carry on using it for that reason. That and being an astringent alum tightens up this old saggy visage, at least temporarily. :D

Bob
Interesting (at least oily skin helps delay the wrinkles :) )
Do you use it over the nose too? I have very oily skin so this is worth trying
 

sev-8

Forum GOD!
+1 but just alum.. it is habit I think but the feedback is good. Also leave it on whilst drying stuff up then cold water rinse. Have tried a few but still find Osma has a superior quality of its own.
What's the difference between a good and bad quality alum block? I've heard people say that the bad ones crumble or break, but I bought a couple on eBay for about £1.50 each for 100g and the first one is still going strong 2 years later
 

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
What's the difference between a good and bad quality alum block? I've heard people say that the bad ones crumble or break, but I bought a couple on eBay for about £1.50 each for 100g and the first one is still going strong 2 years later
I know where you are coming from. I too have a couple that were bought on ebay - probs the same ones you have. They were very cheap. They will all break easily if dropped. I know. Been there. Osma included.

Big issue for me is that they are proper Potassium blocks and not Aluminium. My cheaper ones are as far as I can be sure. I did ask.
After that, the Osma looks different in construction. Almost as if it is made from a pure crystal block whereas the cheaper ones could almost be pieces formed into a block. More hazy. If the latter is the case I see no reason why they should not perform as well so long as they are the right material. ie you get the same gear going on your face when wet. I detect no difference in performance between the two just feel and aesthetics. Pictures later if it helps to explain.
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I wrap a thick rubber band around one end of the block so I can grip it and hold it securely so it won't slip out of my wet fingers. So far so good.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
The bigger Boots stores carry Pitralon brand in their deodorant section - I find that running under water before application helps but then I store it upside down in its container because water will erode the base and cause it to move about.
 
Top