Advice Needed Re: Unreasonable eBay Buyer

TobyC

Patriot
A chronological summary of events:
  • Listed very good condition English made Gillette razor on eBay. I've used the razor and it works perfectly
  • Razor thoroughly and honestly described and accompanied by 10 photos
  • Listing stated no returns
  • Sold to US buyer with 1,000+ positive feedback
  • I have 600+ completely positive feedback
  • Razor was very securely packed and sent by airmail with tracking / insurance
  • Within a day of receipt, buyer claims that razor is faulty as he cannot load a blade on the centre bar. Aside from my earlier comments about condition, this is in essence impossible as it's piece of solid metal made to standardised specifications
  • Buyer asks for refund via eBay messaging, but complains when told to put proper request through eBay. Expected it just to be given it.
  • Told buyer that unless the laws have physics have been just changed, what he is describing is absolutely impossible
  • Thought he had got the message that I was wasn't going to roll over to his buyers remorse, but 6 days later have just received formal refund request
If this happened in an off-line environment I would just tell the individual concerned to take a running jump, but after reading around a little it seems that eBay will almost certainly take his side regardless of the facts and may even refund him without returning the razor if I don't capitulate.

Although I don't see why I should take a £30+ hit on postage for a completely bogus claim, I'm thinking along the lines of allowing the refund, but then going back to eBay after the event with video evidence as to the razors functionality in the hope they will at least withhold any payment for postage and hopefully terminate his account for abuse of buyer protection process?

Does anybody have any useful suggestions or insight which could help?
I just have a question; Does he know what kind of blades it takes?

People can be stupid sometimes.

People can also be lying, thieving, scam artists,... have a calm chat with ebay before doing anything else.


.
 

Gasman

Forum GOD!
I have had issues on eBay too. I've only won once as a seller. Calling eBay can help. It shows your serious about what you know is right. Good luck.

The one I won was an item that fit the box to the point when the item could not open without coming out of the box. I always take pics of the items in the box before closing it up or shipping. Proves how an item is packed. This saved me as i had proof that what the buyer said happened was impossible.
 

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Thanks for all the sensible advice. Called eBay and had an amazing stroke of good luck. eBay rep was a fellow DE shaver who after reviewing all the correspondence came to the correct conclusion that the buyer was trying it on and closed case in my favour there and then. Result :happy:
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
Thanks for all the sensible advice. Called eBay and had an amazing stroke of good luck. eBay rep was a fellow DE shaver who after reviewing all the correspondence came to the correct conclusion that the buyer was trying it on and closed case in my favour there and then. Result :happy:
Wow. That's great. Well done. I have had no luck whatsoever with them! This has restored a tiny bit of faith! Lol.
 

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Thanks for all the sensible advice. Called eBay and had an amazing stroke of good luck. eBay rep was a fellow DE shaver who after reviewing all the correspondence came to the correct conclusion that the buyer was trying it on and closed case in my favour there and then. Result :happy:
Is there a good way for you to share who this super helpful person is? Might be useful for others in the future
 

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
Thanks for all the sensible advice. Called eBay and had an amazing stroke of good luck. eBay rep was a fellow DE shaver who after reviewing all the correspondence came to the correct conclusion that the buyer was trying it on and closed case in my favour there and then. Result :happy:
That's ruddy marvellous, mate! Heartening to hear of a sensible, positive resolution - have a virtual pint on me...:D:thumbsup:
 

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Unfortunately it was a Far Eastern call centre with no name given for the eBay customer service rep.

Buyer then tried the same stunt with PayPal. I repeated the same set of facts and got exactly the same result there too. I think the plot has well and truly been lost as he then sent my yet another message demanding a return despite both eBay and PayPal dismissing him outright formally in writing. Now blocked from either bidding on my auctions or messaging me.

eBay have already said that in the event of any retaliatory negative feedback they will remove it.

Lessons learned seem to be:

Make item descriptions succinct and unambiguous

Photograph comprehensively

Engage with eBay and PayPal proactively after digesting the relevant parts of their user agreements

Stand your ground, but not to the point of appearing to be obstinate

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
 
Top