Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Scent strenth and type

Votes: 30 66.7%
  • It's American so obviously better

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

Wayne

Forum Sod
Tabac's right on the edge for me. I find performance so-so and the scent's just OK (again IMO). Wickham's Scottish Heather and Russian Leather hit all the right notes. I reach for them 90% of the time.

Now that I've alienated half the folks reading this, I'll crawl back into my cave. :typing:
You haven’t alienated anyone. Everyone’s opinion is valued and Wickhams is superb soap

Dr Watson

James
Little update on this...I know Chris @Boycie83 bought a Fine Italian Citrus soap but returned it as it was practically unscented. Well, I received a new puck of Platinum today and whilst not unscented it is very mild, much milder than my old pucks. I recall last year there was talk of new Fine aftershaves being watered down compared to older versions and I can only assume the same thing has happened with the soaps :thumbsdown:

Dr Watson

James
That is disappointing to hear James as I had Fine Platinum soap and splash on the next to get list...
I can only advise buying from a retailer with a good returns policy, even if that means Amazon... Better not to be stuck with them if disappointed.

The INCI is unchanged, it seems to just be fragrance concentration which has been reduced so they still perform great but half the point of buying them is the scent surely, otherwise we'd all use nothing but Palmolive! :happy:

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Little update on this...I know Chris @Boycie83 bought a Fine Italian Citrus soap but returned it as it was practically unscented. Well, I received a new puck of Platinum today and whilst not unscented it is very mild, much milder than my old pucks. I recall last year there was talk of new Fine aftershaves being watered down compared to older versions and I can only assume the same thing has happened with the soaps :thumbsdown:

That's very annoying, Fine Accoutrements more or less double their prices a couple of years ago and watering their products only adds insult to injury. This is the tipical case of a business that stumble with something too good and stretch their luck too far.... the day will come when people will not bother with Fine products anymore. <end of rant>

What triggers me buying a new soap? Well, a new base, I never look at the ingredients list. Scent is the main thing for me.... I chased a particular tabacco scent till I gave up, I can't describe it but I remember it as a thing, long cigarette that people smoked when I was growing up, I think they went by the name tiparillo.
The same thing happened with leather scent, I chased it till I gave up, I can pickup the back of a leather belt and smell it and yet I couldn't find a soap with the same smell.

When I first started my journey I used to look for very slick soaps but now that my technique improved I only look at scents that bring back memories, something that I enjoy rubbing on my face.

D

Deleted member 1881

I can only advise buying from a retailer with a good returns policy, even if that means Amazon... Better not to be stuck with them if disappointed.

The INCI is unchanged, it seems to just be fragrance concentration which has been reduced so they still perform great but half the point of buying them is the scent surely, otherwise we'd all use nothing but Palmolive! :happy:
The prices for the splashes are unacceptable king James.

Dr Watson

James
The prices for the splashes are unacceptable king James.
I totally agree. I've got a bottle of the original Fine Platinum (square flask shape) and the scent only lasts 30 minutes so I dread to think what the latest version is like if it's been watered down. What do I think these splashes are truly worth? £11-£12, same as Razorock.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
What's doin Wayne,

I guess now when it comes to acquiring soaps/creams, a couple boxes gotta be checked off first. Let me start with by saying an excellent motivation in my head is fear of extinction. Might stop being made and then suddenly not around from vendors. This has occurred more than once with some serious scrounging by me to find any back ups.

Or, the infamous reformulations that can happen to a previously fine product, even some expensive ones. So now I do pay attention to the ingredients.....definitely. So, seeing a 'vintage' soap/cream at the right price can certainly affect my button hitting finger.

Heh, also it doesn't hurt to see a favorite being on sale and grabbing a few for Armageddon, which may be soon in Yankeetown USA. Matter of fact I did that kinda thing just recently. The purchase I mean.

Main driving force for me though is running out of something hard to find. Non buyers remorse can be relentless...heh.

Martin
+ 1 fear of extinction / reformulation :) P.

D

Deleted member 1881

That's very annoying, Fine Accoutrements more or less double their prices a couple of years ago and watering their products only adds insult to injury. This is the tipical case of a business that stumble with something too good and stretch their luck too far.... the day will come when people will not bother with Fine products anymore. <end of rant>

What triggers me buying a new soap? Well, a new base, I never look at the ingredients list. Scent is the main thing for me.... I chased a particular tabacco scent till I gave up, I can't describe it but I remember it as a thing, long cigarette that people smoked when I was growing up, I think they went by the name tiparillo.
The same thing happened with leather scent, I chased it till I gave up, I can pickup the back of a leather belt and smell it and yet I couldn't find a soap with the same smell.

When I first started my journey I used to look for very slick soaps but now that my technique improved I only look at scents that bring back memories, something that I enjoy rubbing on my face.
An excellent post.
My suggestion for pure leather

Normally it's my girlfriend that triggers my soap purchases..she comes to me dressed in her sexiest lingerie and opens me an ice cold beer and says please darling, you need another soap...you collection is getting dangerously low. So what's a guy to do.

That may have been a dream..but I think that's what happens...

D

Deleted member 1881

I totally agree. I've got a bottle of the original Fine Platinum (square flask shape) and the scent only lasts 30 minutes so I dread to think what the latest version is like if it's been watered down. What do I think these splashes are truly worth? £11-£12, same as Razorock.
Exactly. For this price Razorock ain't bad. Medium to good performance and light on the menthol. Stallion happens to last 6 hours STRONG on me. But must come closer to undestand it. Weak sillage.Its a splash after all.

Dr Watson

James
Normally it's my girlfriend that triggers my soap purchases..she comes to me dressed in her sexiest lingerie and opens me an ice cold beer and says please darling, you need another soap...you collection is getting dangerously low. So what's a guy to do.

That may have been a dream..but I think that's what happens...
Sounds too good to be true.... You sure she's not one of those programmable Japanese sex robots?

MV5BOTNlNDJkYjYtZjE2MS00NTBjLWI2NDUtMjg3NjgzNDJhODkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg