spilled tea on laptop keyboard.

dadant

Forum GOD!
not a great deal but enough to screw up a few important keys. did the obvious, turned upside down to drain then used a hairdryer but still a few fecked up keys. any other recommendation before i pull it apart which id rather not do but using this virtual keyboard is getting on my tits.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
not a great deal but enough to screw up a few important keys. did the obvious, turned upside down to drain then used a hairdryer but still a few fecked up keys. any other recommendation before i pull it apart which id rather not do but using this virtual keyboard is getting on my tits.
Ouch ! Big bags of silica gel or rice ?

dadant

Forum GOD!
mmmm....using another keyboard partly defeats the point of having a laptop really. how would you use silica bags, theyre usually used for contained and enclosed goods arent they?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
mmmm....using another keyboard partly defeats the point of having a laptop really. how would you use silica bags, theyre usually used for contained and enclosed goods arent they?
They absorb damp and keep damp away. One of the latest tricks are to use them in your car near the windscreen tohelp with keeping your windscreen clear. Certainly a phone fix, never tried it though.

Last edited:

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Mask up, go buy a new keyboard and can of compressed air. Drink 2 pints of beer. Use the compressed air. Try the old keyboard again as more drying time may help. If still does not work, you now have a new keyboard, can of compressed air and smiling.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Mask up, go buy a new keyboard and can of compressed air. Drink 2 pints of beer. Use the compressed air. Try the old keyboard again as more drying time may help. If still does not work, you now have a new keyboard, can of compressed air and smiling.
Theyusually have tins of compressed air at Poundland, don’t ask how much !

dadant

Forum GOD!
that i can do. Yeah...only been about 24hrs and i have other keyboards, machines and a compressor i could actually use it just never occured to me to seperate them. doh

@ saint. you know the shaving cream trick for your bathroom mirror and car windscreen dont you?

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
Drink spilt on keyboards was always our IT Dept's nightmare, they took a very dim view. If the tea contained sugar the sticky residue gums up the keyboard contacts and unfortunately using a hairdryer may have blown dust into the gummy mechanism. Leaving it longer to dry may help or you could try cleaning with distilled water and a lint free cloth, which would of course entail more drying time. If all else fails you could replace the keypad, which I (successfully) did a few years ago for my son-in-law.

You may find this helpful:

Good luck.

Regards,
Chris

Grarea

Forum Plod
I have taken apart a couple of laptops.
If there is a decent video on youtube it will show you how feasible it is.

Give you a chance to give it a clean with alcohol and earbuds.

dadant

Forum GOD!
I commandeered my lads mini wireless keyboard and that's fine for the moment. Was thinking of trying some electrical contact cleaner for keys still malfunctioning?

Edit, not going to bother ordered a replacement keyboard for twenty quid. Don't want to be arsing about trying to lift and clean keys or having it apart more than once.

Last edited: